360 or PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a no-brainer. Get the 360 now and get a PS3 in a year or two when it has some decent titles + a lower price tag.

Wrong, the price is good, Blue-ray DVD, and tons a top game titles.

I got a new PS3 on Friday, got the deal at Walmart, so free game. I got Uncharted.

This thing is awesome, USB wheel/pedals, keyboard/mouse = ftw.

a quick and dirty comparison of quality PS3 titles to quality 360 titles. I admit, its very quick and dirty, but you should get the point. Note that the OP is comparing the 40gb PS3, which eliminates backwards compatibility. (ie guitar hero 2 is considered an exclusive for the 360 when just looking at it and the 40 gb ps3)

games that have an 8.5 or higher by gamespot on the 40gb PS3 ordered by score, titles not in the 360 list bolded:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Rock Band
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Resistance: Fall of Man
FIFA Soccer 08
NBA 2K8
DiRT
NHL 08
Warhawk
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Madden NFL 08
The Darkness

bold = 4

games that have an 8.5 or higher by gamespot on the 360 ordered by score, titles not in the PS3 list bolded:

Gears of War
The Orange Box
Halo 3
Forza Motorsport 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Rock Band
Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Perfect Dark Zero
Guitar Hero II
Call of Duty 3
Burnout Revenge
Dead or Alive 4
Project Gotham Racing 3
Call of Duty 2
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Kameo: Elements of Power
F.E.A.R.
Mass Effect
Virtua Fighter 5 Online
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
FIFA Soccer 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Eternal Sonata

NHL 08
Madden NFL 08
The Darkness

bold = 20

Quick fix for your list so far, for titles that are in bold.

~Orange Box - On both
~Call of Duty 3 - On both

I know you made a quick list, but just fixing it up a bit for you. :)
Also, do not just go by a number from a review site about what to buy. Yes they are many times accurate when it comes to what is good or bad, but it does not mean a game that got an 8.4 (or even <8) is a bad game.

This is a no-brainer. Get the 360 now and get a PS3 in a year or two when it has some decent titles + a lower price tag.

QFT. I own a 360 and I've really been looking for a reason to buy a PS3 but when I look at the upcoming game releases, I really don't see much on the PS3 side. Most of the games I'm looking forward to are being released on both systems so there's little point for me to buy a whole new system.

a quick and dirty comparison of quality PS3 titles to quality 360 titles. I admit, its very quick and dirty, but you should get the point. Note that the OP is comparing the 40gb PS3, which eliminates backwards compatibility. (ie guitar hero 2 is considered an exclusive for the 360 when just looking at it and the 40 gb ps3)

games that have an 8.5 or higher by gamespot on the 40gb PS3 ordered by score, titles not in the 360 list bolded:

Rock Band
Assassin's Creed
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Resistance: Fall of Man
FIFA Soccer 08
NBA 2K8
DiRT
NHL 08
Warhawk
Madden NFL 08
The Darkness

bold = 4

games that have an 8.5 or higher by gamespot on the 360 ordered by score, titles not in the PS3 list bolded:

Gears of War
The Orange Box
Halo 3
Forza Motorsport 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Rock Band
Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Perfect Dark Zero
Guitar Hero II
Call of Duty 3
Burnout Revenge
Dead or Alive 4
Project Gotham Racing 3
Call of Duty 2
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Kameo: Elements of Power
F.E.A.R.
Mass Effect
Virtua Fighter 5 Online
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
FIFA Soccer 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Eternal Sonata

NHL 08
Madden NFL 08
The Darkness

bold = 20

I do prefer the 360 more, but that list isn't that great. One, you're basing it on Gamespot, which is probaly one of the worst review sites. Eternal Sonata, is also coming to PS3, and with more options. They announced taht like a month or 2 ago.

snip

Good work on that list, man. Really hits home what people can expect when they choose a system.

but that list isn't that great. One, you're basing it on Gamespot, which is probaly one of the worst review sites
I dont think their reviews are off from the Average.
Top Average Rated PS3 Games: http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/
Top Average Rated 360 Games: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/

360's games, on average, have higher rated reviews. Statistical fact.
Also heres a quickie:
Number of Games with an Average Score of 75% or Higher:
PS3: 54
360: 135

OP, theres your answer on which system to get. That is, ya know, if you care about playing games.. ;)

i'd also consider the quality of the system. i owned an xbox360 (2 actually), and both rrod'd in 2 years time, (one after 1 year, the second after only 5 months). i asked around my workplace, and 2 other guys had their 360's rrod also. the 360 has a lot of great games, but i got to the point where i was afraid to use it because of the fear it would blow again. bought a ps3 and looking forward to a bunch of awesome titles to play on it.

That is true, but its supposed to be fixed by now... atleast these newer models anyway. I still have an older one, it hasn't RRoD yet, I hope it does soon or not at all.

I have a 360 and sometimes games lock up or the systen won't boot up at all just get the red ring of death. So I went out and bought an 80gb PS3 last weekend and I loved it. Not as many games as the 360 right now but I can't wait till there are.

Good work on that list, man. Really hits home what people can expect when they choose a system.

I dont think their reviews are off from the Average.
Top Average Rated PS3 Games: http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/
Top Average Rated 360 Games: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/

360's games, on average, have higher rated reviews. Statistical fact.
Also heres a quickie:
Number of Games with an Average Score of 75% or Higher:
PS3: 54
360: 135

OP, theres your answer on which system to get. That is, ya know, if you care about playing games.. ;)

Considering Gamespot fired a guy for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review, which it was indeed a terrible game, no, Gamespot is a pretty terrible place to get reviews from.

Listing outdated stuff is pretty moot. Who is going to care about CoD2/3 (although 3 is definitely out on the PS3) when there is CoD4? Who cares about Guitar Hero II with Guitar Hero III and its downloadable content (much of which is supposedly going to be from previous Guitar Heroes)?

Also, FEAR is definitely on the PS3, and pothb also mentioned Eternal Sonata going to the PS3.

There are games which are not on that list which are universally well-recieved. Uncharted is the biggest, newest one right now which everyone seems to like. Folklore is pretty well received by gamers regardless of some of a few lackluster critical reviews. I don't even understand how Heavenly Sword is not up there. Don't even bring up that it's short, because Bioshock is just as short with just as little replay value while both being engrossing, but at least Heavenly Sword has a much more complete ending. Likewise with Ratchet and Clank.

I'm not even going into the games that's listed there that just aren't good by any gamer's standard.

Considering Gamespot fired a guy for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review, which it was indeed a terrible game, no, Gamespot is a pretty terrible place to get reviews from.

...Who is going to care about CoD2/3 (although 3 is definitely out on the PS3)....Also, FEAR is definitely on the PS3, and pothb also mentioned Eternal Sonata going to the PS3.

My list only compares the games that scored above 8.5. FEAR got pretty horrible reviews on the PS3 because "While F.E.A.R. is still a good action game, it doesn't live up to its potential, thanks to stuttering frame rates and washed-out graphics." Same goes for COD3, which "was fast and mostly smooth on the 360, but the game's extremely choppy on the PlayStation 3."

Also, it doesnt take into account games that are not yet out like orange box or eternal sonata, as we don't know how well they will score on the PS3 compared to the 360 versions. Judging by the limited sample of two titles above, one could very well expect lower scores than 8.5.

I do prefer the 360 more, but that list isn't that great. One, you're basing it on Gamespot, which is probaly one of the worst review sites. Eternal Sonata, is also coming to PS3, and with more options. They announced taht like a month or 2 ago.

No, the list isnt perfect, but no list would be. I think its relatively non-objective in getting across the point that there simply are more quality titles for the 360 by looking at the solid titles that are out right now.

No, the list isnt perfect, but no list would be. I think its relatively non-objective in getting across the point that there simply are more quality titles for the 360 by looking at the solid titles that are out right now.

Which makes perfect sense considering it's been out twice as long. But the software advantage in terms of exclusives games is not nearly as pronounced as you're trying to skew it to appear. Many of the games you tout for X360 are PC games as well. Is GH2 being only available for X360/PS2 relevant now that Rock Band and GH3 are out ?

Take out all the multi-platform/shovelware titles comparing exclusive retail games with at least a 70 average on metacritic and this is how it looks:

X360-----------------------------------------------PS3
(REAL exclusives - in order of review score)

Halo 3---------------------------------------------Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Mass Effect-------------------------------------Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Forza 2-------------------------------------------Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
PGR 3--------------------------------------------Resistance: Fall of Man
PGR 4--------------------------------------------Warhawk
DOA 4--------------------------------------------Singstar
Dead Rising-------------------------------------Motostorm
Viva Pinata--------------------------------------Hot Shots Golf 5
Crackdown--------------------------------------Heavenly Sword
Saint's Row-------------------------------------Ridge Racer 7
Perfect Dark Zero-----------------------------F1 Championship Edition
MotoGP 06--------------------------------------Folklore
Flatout Ultimate Carnage-------------------Eye of Judgement
Kameo Elements of Power-----------------Piyotama
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Ridge Racer 6

Well over half of the best games coming out nowadays are on both consoles (COD4, GTA4, DMC4 etc). Of what's left, another half of X360's best games are on PC. The top six ranked X360 games on metacritic are all multi-platform !

I have no doubt by the end of next year the PS3 will have a superior lineup of exclusive games.

Sorry, but the "PS3 doesnt have any good games" arguement doesnt work anymore. There are plenty of good games for it. Sure the 360 has more games, its been out a year more, why wouldnt it? There are plenty of things the PS3 can do, that the 360 cant. So try a new one, that one is old, and doesnt work anymore. :D

Which makes perfect sense considering it's been out twice as long. But the software advantage in terms of exclusives games is not nearly as pronounced as you're trying to skew it to appear. Many of the games you tout for X360 are PC games as well. Is GH2 being only available for X360/PS2 relevant now that Rock Band and GH3 are out ?

Take out all the multi-platform/shovelware titles comparing exclusive retail games with at least a 70 average on metacritic and this is how it looks:

Halo 3---------------------------------------------Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Ridge Racer 6

Well over half of the best games coming out nowadays are on both consoles (COD4, GTA4, DMC4 etc). Of what's left, another half of X360's best games are on PC. The top six ranked X360 games on metacritic are all multi-platform !

I have no doubt by the end of next year the PS3 will have a superior lineup of exclusive games.

Wow, I own both systems and still didn't realize how close the "exclusive war" really is. Good list man.

I am glad I own both systems and think no matter which system a person chooses, they will be very happy with it.

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Ridge Racer 6

Oh, I didn't know you can play these games on the PS3; Gears of War, BioShock, CoD2, Condemned, Prey, Lost Planet, etc, etc, etc..................... Ace Combat 6, GH2, GRAW, Tomb Raider Legned, LOTR:BFME, C&C3, etc, etc, etc.

When you're considering whether to buy an xbox360 or PS3 games such as these are exclusive to the xbox360 and creating lists without them is dumb.

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Ridge Racer 6

Your list is much much much more objective than mine. You assume:

1. Not only do all console owners strong PCs, but that they would prefer to play the games on the computer as opposed to on their console.

2. Because a title that is on the 360 is also on the PC, all PS3 owners can play it as well or better than 360 players can play it.

3. Having a sequel invalidates an earlier form of a game. (many people will still buy GH2 at a lower price even if GH3 or rock band is out)

4. One can buy a title in the 70-85 range and be confident that it will be a quality game

What it all boils down to for me is that if I took the games that are certainly high quality (85 or higher) and are available right now, the amount of solid 360 games dwarfs the amount of solid PS3 games. When you compare exclusives between the two consoles and the two consoles only, the gap widens even further.

actually I don't think any list here is an objective point. The main thing about those lists are the presentation. If you want to hoist the 360 flag you can pull out some statistic that will prove your point. If you want to do the same for the PS3 guess what here is another statistic that proves yours. The Bottom line here has to boil down to taste, needs and expectations. I found the system that meets all 3 qualifications for me. You may have a different system that meets all 3 for you. If you want to babel about statistics I can prove to you that carrots kill people by use of statistics. Is it really true? no but I can show you how it statistically is 100% accurate.

actually I don't think any list here is an objective point. The main thing about those lists are the presentation. If you want to hoist the 360 flag you can pull out some statistic that will prove your point. If you want to do the same for the PS3 guess what here is another statistic that proves yours. The Bottom line here has to boil down to taste, needs and expectations. I found the system that meets all 3 qualifications for me. You may have a different system that meets all 3 for you. If you want to babel about statistics I can prove to you that carrots kill people by use of statistics. Is it really true? no but I can show you how it statistically is 100% accurate.

please, prove to me with a p-value of less than .01 that carrots kill people :confused:

yes, this is all about how you structure your model. For 360 pro vs PS3 40gb, my assumptions fit the best. For 360 pro + high end PC vs PS3 + high end PC, you can start removing shared 360/PC from the 360 exclusive list. Note that this does not add them to the PS3s library as some would have you believe.

PS3.

The answer is clear for me, because I don't buy products that have a known 30% failure rate. (or even 15%)

I wouldn't buy an HDTV, cell phone, camera, CPU, graphics card, car, refridge, if it was known that 30% would fail. So when it comes to game consoles, PS3 or Wii for me. 3-year "extended" warrenty is a joke. Most of the consoles I've own are way over 3 years old.

Oh, I didn't know you can play these games on the PS3; Gears of War, BioShock, CoD2, Condemned, Prey, Lost Planet, etc, etc, etc..................... Ace Combat 6, GH2, GRAW, Tomb Raider Legned, LOTR:BFME, C&C3, etc, etc, etc.

When you're considering whether to buy an xbox360 or PS3 games such as these are exclusive to the xbox360 and creating lists without them is dumb.

Sorry but all the games on your list are multi-platform and in most cases the X360 is not the optimal version. AC6 is timed exclusive, so I guess you can include it for now although its metacritic score is quite
low. My list is 100% accurate with the main criteria separating the two consoles. EXCLUSIVE titles. Everything else is fluff.

You wanna just look at raw numbers, yeah X360 has twice as many titles including both retail and download-able live games, but half the average scores on metacritic are in the pits. Do all of these truly marginal titles count ? You can't overlook the fact that it's been out twice as long. I'll take quality over quantity. I'll agree X360 has the lead in both, but Sony has a superior 1st and 2nd party game lineup in 2008.

Like I said, most of X360's best games are multi-platform. Most of both systems' best games are multi-platform right now. It's the 1st party and 2nd party games that really push the hardware to the limit.

And you really should consider the PC in this discussion. But maybe I underestimate how many will buy a garbage port like FEAR or Quake 4 on a console. I could really care less that a PS3 doesn't get all the PC platform games. I don't want them. I want focused development on exclusive titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Gran Turismo 5.

See the original post for relevance:
I've been debating this for a long time. I'm not really a console guy, but for some reason I want one, prolly to play the games that I can't play on my PC.

So really, help me decide here. Then again, maybe I should say the hell with it and stick with just my PC.

Your list is much much much more objective than mine. You assume:

1. Not only do all console owners strong PCs, but that they would prefer to play the games on the computer as opposed to on their console.

I can't think of many games where the X360 version is actually superior to the PC. It doesn't take a mega computer to run Orange Box or Bioshock at higher settings than 720p 30fps. Mouse and Keyboard are superior for shooter anyways.

2. Because a title that is on the 360 is also on the PC, all PS3 owners can play it as well or better than 360 players can play it.

Aside from a few horrible multi-platform ports the first year, this is a red herring. The hardware is just as capable and in the hands of skilled developers, the PS3 goes toe to toe or exceeds X360 performance in multi-platform games - even supporting more online players per game in some examples. The future is definitely trending towards co-development. Even with ports, the tables may turn due to the relative ease of PS3>X360 ports than vice versa.

The first year, developers were struggling to get a grasp with the system but the results are coming. I put games like Uncharted, Ratchet Future, and Heavenly Sword against any graphics the X360 has put out.
From those in the know, the PS3 is easier to program for than PS2. Probably because of the standard PC like GPU. The X360 is multi threaded as well. Not to the degree of PS3, but developers are catching on.

According to IBM themselves, the Cell has potentially 2.5 X the performance of the tricore power pc chip in the X360. It won't happen overnight, but the PS3 hardware has more legs.

3. Having a sequel invalidates an earlier form of a game. (many people will still buy GH2 at a lower price even if GH3 or rock band is out)

GH2 is not an exclusive. PS2 version might not look as pretty but I think a game like GH2 is a poor justification for owning an X360.

4. One can buy a title in the 70-85 range and be confident that it will be a quality game

What it all boils down to for me is that if I took the games that are certainly high quality (85 or higher) and are available right now, the amount of solid 360 games dwarfs the amount of solid PS3 games. When you compare exclusives between the two consoles and the two consoles only, the gap widens even further

I see quality titles that rate in that range. F1 CE got low 70s but it's excellent. Didn't get higher because it's too hardcore for many. Blue Dragon only got like a 70 avg but many people say it's excellent. I trust an aggregate score more than what Gamespot says is good.

Some people might like to use an X360 as a crossover console/PC but I feel the PS3 is a more pure console experience. GT5 with a G25 wheel will be the next gen "arcade" experience. Not in gameplay, because it's a sim. But the graphics will have that jaw dropping wow factor and the handling has the perfect "feel of touch" that the classic arcade racing games from Sega oozed.

Too bad MS won't let you play with a G25. :( I'm a fan of both Forza and PGR, even though PGR4 kind of flopped. But GT5 is going to blow them away. Think about it. Polyphony Digital is spending more time and money on one game (GT5) than Bizarre spent on two games ! (PGR3 & PGR4) The latest hands on previews are phenomenally positive for the graphics and gameplay.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...1001&sectionId=1001&pageId=200712059465105078

regarding the 360/ps3 games someone listed above i personally prefer playing Gears Of War, Lost Planet, Quake 4, Orange Box, Fear Series, Graw2 and timeshift, DIrt, Sega Rally on my PC, its much better,
I strangely prefer to play cod4 and nfs pro street on my ps3 rather than my pc though.
Im not sure which platform to get gh3 on though

I can't think of many games where the X360 version is actually superior to the PC. It doesn't take a mega computer to run Orange Box or Bioshock at higher settings than 720p 30fps. Mouse and Keyboard are superior for shooter anyways.

That screams of your objectivity. Lots of people who buy consoles buy them because they can't afford a decent PC every two years. For people who can afford a nice rig, you're assuming that higher settings + better FPS beats a comfy couch and a 55" display.

Aside from a few horrible multi-platform ports the first year, this is a red herring. The hardware is just as capable and in the hands of skilled developers, the PS3 goes toe to toe or exceeds X360 performance in multi-platform games - even supporting more online players per game in some examples. The future is definitely trending towards co-development. Even with ports, the tables may turn due to the relative ease of PS3>X360 ports than vice versa.

The first year, developers were struggling to get a grasp with the system but the results are coming. I put games like Uncharted, Ratchet Future, and Heavenly Sword against any graphics the X360 has put out.
From those in the know, the PS3 is easier to program for than PS2. Probably because of the standard PC like GPU. The X360 is multi threaded as well. Not to the degree of PS3, but developers are catching on.

According to IBM themselves, the Cell has potentially 2.5 X the performance of the tricore power pc chip in the X360. It won't happen overnight, but the PS3 hardware has more legs.
you missed the boat on this one. Comparing the performance of an xbox 360 to a shitty PC has nothing to do with how powerful the PS3 could run the game. its not on the platform so it does not matter!

GH2 is not an exclusive. PS2 version might not look as pretty but I think a game like GH2 is a poor justification for owning an X360.
GH2 is just an example of yet another quality title the 360 can play that the 40gb PS3 cannot play. (I would argue that its just as good or better than the more expensive GH3 btw.) By itself, any game is poor justification for owning either console over the other. Its when you add things up.. Besides, its not a graphical comparison at all. Someone who owns a PS3 and nothing else can *NOT* play GH2! They don't have a choice!

I see quality titles that rate in that range. F1 CE got low 70s but it's excellent. Didn't get higher because it's too hardcore for many. Blue Dragon only got like a 70 avg but many people say it's excellent. I trust an aggregate score more than what Gamespot says is good.
For the point of making a list comparing two systems that is as non-objective as possible, you have to set a cut-off somewhere at a point where you can with reasonable confidence say that everything above that score is a quality title. Sorry, but the games in the low 70s are there for a reason: they can be very appealing to some, but over all they are a disappointment.

Gamespot was just the easiest source to use. You'll get the same results with ANY critic (or even metacritic) if you follow the same parameters that I did.

Some people might like to use an X360 as a crossover console/PC but I feel the PS3 is a more pure console experience. GT5 with a G25 wheel will be the next gen "arcade" experience. Not in gameplay, because it's a sim. But the graphics will have that jaw dropping wow factor and the handling has the perfect "feel of touch" that the classic arcade racing games from Sega oozed.

Too bad MS won't let you play with a G25. :( I'm a fan of both Forza and PGR, even though PGR4 kind of flopped. But GT5 is going to blow them away. Think about it. Polyphony Digital is spending more time and money on one game (GT5) than Bizarre spent on two games ! (PGR3 & PGR4) The latest hands on previews are phenomenally positive for the graphics and gameplay.
People said the same thing about Lair :rolleyes:. I'm not saying this is going to be a bad game, just we don't know how its actually going to turn out till its released for mass consumption. Which is why the best way to compare the two consoles at this time is by their current libraries (something that is certain, concrete)

either way, i won't be coming back to this thread. everything is out there and an educated consumer knows whats important to him/her and whats not.

ok lets keep this thread going even though the op already made a decision.

360 or ps?

PS3.

The answer is clear for me, because I don't buy products that have a known 30% failure rate. (or even 15%)

I wouldn't buy an HDTV, cell phone, camera, CPU, graphics card, car, refridge, if it was known that 30% would fail. So when it comes to game consoles, PS3 or Wii for me. 3-year "extended" warrenty is a joke. Most of the consoles I've own are way over 3 years old.

That is an aged argument now. I don't even think you can find a 1st generation around anymore. Everywhere I look I not only see 360s with HDMI but 360s produced within the last 3 months.

There have been very few complaints about the new revisions.

That is an aged argument now. I don't even think you can find a 1st generation around anymore. Everywhere I look I not only see 360s with HDMI but 360s produced within the last 3 months.

There have been very few complaints about the new revisions.

Oh Yeah well they are Ugly Too lol.

Sorry had to.

I've had my 360 for the last year and it's been a blast. Brought me into the world of console gaming like never before. And I say this as an owner of numerous other consoles. Shortly after I got the 360 (right before GoW), I picked up the HD-DVD player. That was a pretty good deal at the time. $200 for a HD-DVD player when the nearest stand-alone one was $400. The market's a bit different now, but I feel like I got my money's worth. Blockbuster.com has a great selection of HD-DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs. I must've rented a bout 30 of these in the past year.

The 360 was a gift from my girlfriend last year (fiance later this week, knock on wood). I already found the ps3 she bought for me for this xmas. She's not good at hiding things. Give me a month or two, and I'll be able to chime in on what I like about the PS3.

That screams of your objectivity. Lots of people who buy consoles buy them because they can't afford a decent PC every two years. For people who can afford a nice rig, you're assuming that higher settings + better FPS beats a comfy couch and a 55" display.

I don't know many people with 55" HDTVs that can't afford or don't already own a PC capable of running Gears or Bioshock. The OP of this thread stated he's already got a PC and wants to know what specific games he's missing without a console. I believe he decided a few pages back to buy a PS3.

Don't assume a PC gamer can't sit on the couch. The X360 is not even a good substitute for a PC. It can't do games like Crysis and will probably look absolutely pathetic next to the PC version of Alan Wake.

you missed the boat on this one. Comparing the performance of an xbox 360 to a shitty PC has nothing to do with how powerful the PS3 could run the game. its not on the platform so it does not matter!

non sequitur :confused:

GH2 is just an example of yet another quality title the 360 can play that the 40gb PS3 cannot play.

I just think it's odd you chose to include this game as a bullet. Who cares you can't play GH2 on PS3 ? That game is not going to factor into anyone's decision to buy an X360 over a PS3. It's multi-platform anyways.

For the point of making a list comparing two systems that is as non-objective as possible, you have to set a cut-off somewhere at a point where you can with reasonable confidence say that everything above that score is a quality title. Sorry, but the games in the low 70s are there for a reason: they can be very appealing to some, but over all they are a disappointment.

Your parameters are hardly objective. Yeah on paper, it's got twice as many titles. Unfortunately, half are poor. Of what's left, another half are multi-platform with PS3, PC or both. Halo 3, Mass Effect, PGR and Forza series are X360's aces. But most of its best games are NOT exclusive.

stereophile's list of EXCLUSIVE games said:

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Ridge Racer 6

My list is the least subjective. It simply names the EXCLUSIVE games that you can't play anywhere else, from average up to the 4 star titles. The person viewing it can determine what games catch their eye. Who are you to say anything GS didn't at least give an 85 to is not worthy of discussion ? I gave you two example of solid games that didn't have the highest scores from the "mainstream" press. F1 CE and Blue Dragon.

People said the same thing about Lair :rolleyes:. I'm not saying this is going to be a bad game, just we don't know how its actually going to turn out till its released for mass consumption. Which is why the best way to compare the two consoles at this time is by their current libraries (something that is certain, concrete)

Are you kidding me ? ROFL :p You're telling me Gran Turismo 5 is some unknown quantity? Polyphony Digital has a track record. We've already played and seen samples of GT5's gameplay.

That argument can't be taken seriously. Attacking it seems like deflection from the earlier point that X360 can't use the Logitech G25.

Anyone that enjoyed GT 1, 2, 3, or 4 is bound to enjoy 5. It will be a contender for 2008 GOTY. Its graphics will set a new standard. People forget GT 3 and 4 were designed on inferior hw compared to PGR 1, 2 and Forza. But look at the results. GT5 vs X360's racers will be the first time in a while that competitive racing franchises have come out on similarly capable hardware.

A console's current library is something to consider. But upcoming announced future exclusives are also important. A console is more than instant gratification. Most people expect to get years of enjoyment from one.

A potential buyer would be foolish to only look at game software in a bubble, focusing on what's out right now, instead of taking into consideration the totality of the situation. Titles that are coming in 3 months, 6 months, even a year or more away weigh into people's purchasing decision. Everyone forgets how sparse X360's library was after the first year. The number of A+ exclusive titles coming to PS3 next year is mind boggling. :cool:

I don't know many people with 55" HDTVs that can't afford or don't already own a PC capable of running Gears or Bioshock. The OP of this thread stated he's already got a PC and wants to know what specific games he's missing without a console. I believe he decided a few pages back to buy a PS3.

The tv may not be their's. A kid could have parents who decided to purchase a tv for themselves, or a tv (most likely not 55") may be jointly owned by 2-3+ college roommates who pooled money...

Having one hundred more AAA titles than a competitor is useless if the games don't interest the console owners. For example: I hate GoW, Halo 3, PDZ and Resistance. They are technically good games but I personally could never get into them. If the entire argument hinges on a few titles that are not interesting it doesn't matter that the x360 technically has a few more games at this point in time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Cod4 and AC4.:D

And once again, another PS3 port is filled with longer load times and framerate problems, as you can see by IGN's review of The Orange Box for PS3.

Really, some games are multiplatform, but almost all of them play better on the 360, hands down.

Unless you are a huge huge fan of PS3's first party stuff, go with the 360.

And once again, another PS3 port is filled with longer load times and framerate problems, as you can see by IGN's review of The Orange Box for PS3.

"Even in Portal, a short title that often requires a little trial and error, this problem is massive. The 360 version takes about three seconds to load your last checkpoint if you die. The PS3 version takes seventeen. It hurts."

"The PlayStation 3 Orange Box performs far worse, and this fact just isn't up for debate. While framerate issues aren't as problematic in Half-Life 2 and Episode One, Episode Two suffers a great deal, especially during the episode's larger battles. We regret to say that some sections border on being unplayable because of the stutters, which often cause your aim to be thrown off and timing shots to be very difficult."

Blame Valve for dropping the ball. They simply don't care enough about their product to ensure a quality effort. They farmed it out to EA! :rolleyes:

There is no excuse when other developers like Naughty Dog, Ninja Theory, Infinity Ward get results on the PS3 hardware. The microsoft millionaire has a known phobia of non MS/Direct X platforms. Valve has never traditionally done "console" games. But they could've handled it a lot better. Selling slapped together ports reflects poorly on them. The box says Valve not EA budgetware.

A shame for any PS3 owning OB fans, but most I suspect have got it for PC already. I got my copy for $25 on black friday. You never get new A+ console games that cheap.

I thought that framerate thing was from somewhere else and IGN actually said it wasn't a huge deal. I haven't checked on this recently, but I might do so.

Edit: Just checked the ign review, which is apparently new. And does state the framerate issues. However I distinctively remember another article/blurb about the orange box that contradicted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back