360 HD-DVD add-on to PS3... is it even possible?

Gigabit

Weaksauce
I know this is a dream of mine that probably wont ever happen but i was just thinking...

so i have both a ps3 and xbox360 with HD-DVD player.

the HD-DVD add-on i have is also connected via USB to the xbox360. now, if someone can ever devise a way to hack or install some sort of software onto the PS3 to be able to decrypt HD-DVD, we'd be able to have a home entertainment center that can play both.

i know i know, there are super-dvd drives out there that can already do this and also there are DVD-ROM's for computers that are compatible with both formats.

just day dreaming here with the equipment that i already have. :D

Linux, as the other poster said. Don't think you have enough access to the video hardware in the official "Linux mode" on the PS3 to make it work well, though... and don't know the state of HD support in Linux in general. Haven't played around outside of Windows in a while now.

You can get HD DVD playback to work under linux, but the compatibility varies disk by disk, and most of the time the menus and options won't work to select chapters/audio/subtitles/etc. The 360 HD DVD drive is recognized properly under linux, but the problem with the PS3 is you don't have access to the power of the video system, and the CPU doesn't have enough raw processing power to do everything on it's own. There have been people that tried it before. Under linux, the PS3 can hardly handle most high bitrate 720p stuff, let alone 1080p native with encryption.

1. HD-DVD is old news

2. no you cannot hook your microsoft peripheral to your sony ps3... think about it

Not old news, but according to this article here, it looks like Toshiba is ready to drop HDDVD.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...news/e3ib77125d96b22e860b14b889b10defb59?pn=1

""We've listened to our customers, and we are responding," said Best Buy president and COO Brian Dunn."

BB, and Brian Dunn specifically, should be sued for $50 million for that outright lie. BB has NEVER listened to customers. They TOLD customers what they should get (by being paid off by Sony to not display HDDVD players). The only thing they are responding to is customers who bend over for them with cash in their cornhole..

Not really true on either front.

Last i checked HD-DVD was dead in the water...

Also last i checked, there exist no hd-dvd players for linux, not to mention the linux for ps3 cannot even access the RSX graphical capabilities so it would have to try and playback the movies from a pure software standpoint. So, even if somebody made a player for linux, and even if somehow they managed to keep the hdcp chain intact, it still probably lacks the processing to playback the files.

So while you can always say "not really true" deep down inside, you know, it's pretty much a fact.

Last i checked HD-DVD was dead in the water...

Also last i checked, there exist no hd-dvd players for linux, not to mention the linux for ps3 cannot even access the RSX graphical capabilities so it would have to try and playback the movies from a pure software standpoint. So, even if somebody made a player for linux, and even if somehow they managed to keep the hdcp chain intact, it still probably lacks the processing to playback the files.

So while you can always say "not really true" deep down inside, you know, it's pretty much a fact.
- HD DVD movies will continue to work just as they did the day they were purchased, long after the format is "dead". It would be pretty stupid not to take advantage of the bargain bin close outs on HD DVD hardware and movies. There's over 400 titles out there to choose from, and they look/sound just as good as BR movies. I own both and have done some scrutinous comparisons.

- The HD DVD drive when plugged into the PS3 and booted under linux does show up. In fact, it even takes priority over the PS3's built in Blu-ray drive.

- You are correct when saying in its current state, it doesn't possess the hardware acceleration or raw processing power to playback 1080p under linux.

In some cases, HD DVD looks AND sounds better than the Blu counterpart.

Early Blu used MPEG2 while HD DVD has generally always used the superior VC-1

It all depends on the transfer as well. Now though, the movies that we are seeing are pretty darn good looking/sounding. They use the VC-1 and AVC codecs which are both excellent. The mastering process has been refined, and that's about all the better it's going to get as far as personal home viewing goes.

Back