3500 Winchester Malfunction?

I recently got a set of new components: a 3500 Winchester, a Asus A8V Deluxe, Gigabyte X800 XT, some Corsair XMS3200 XL memory and a seagate SATA drive...

Last night I tried to install everything and when I hit the power button NOTHING happens. The monitor springs to life saying: "check signal cable." The damn thing doesn't even begin to think about POSTing. The Asus board is supposed to speak, apparently, I wouldn't know, it hasn't said jack and sh't. It's supposed to tell me if something's terribly wrong.

After going through a ton of agony: I have the problem narrowed down to one of two things: the 3500 Winchester which looks in perfect condition (no chips, scratches, bent pins, burns) or the Asus Mobo has eaten shit.

Also, and this might be the most egregious error on my part, but my PSU is a meager Enermax 300 Watt. Will underpowering a system damage it? My goal was to try out the parts and then pick up a new PSU tomorrow once I knew everything was working just fine.

Anyone have problems like this with their 90 nm 3500? Or do you think it's the motherboard.

probably the psu. underpowered psu won't kill it, but will definitly cause booting/stability problems. i would try a new psu.

Did you plug in the 4 pin AUX power connector as well? Remove the motherboard from the case and run it with bare essentials. CPU/Ram and videocard to see if it posts.

the motherboard will only "talk" if you plug in headphones and wait for like ~25 seconds. It talks, though.

I had a similar problem with my computer, after about an hour of "troubleshooting" I discovered that I wasnt holding the power button long enough :D . On a serious note, try checking the power button connection to your motherboard. If that doesnt work, try a different power supply, if THAT doesnt work, it might be a grounding issue. Did you use the insulated washers that came with your case? Try running the motherboard outside of the case on a non-conductive surface.

It did end being the PSU, I'm pretty sure. This only after I'd ordered a second motherboard. You live and you learn, I guess. In any case, thank you for the suggestions and help.

Kingfizzure said:
It did end being the PSU, I'm pretty sure. This only after I'd ordered a second motherboard. You live and you learn, I guess. In any case, thank you for the suggestions and help.

There is a Power Supply section of this forum you might want to check out. Tons of good useful information there to read, and learn. ;)

Back