3400 or 3700

Tseng

n00b
i currently have a a64 2800 to go with my 6800gt. i can get a 3400 for 143£ and a 3700 for 299£, is it worth coughing up the cash for 512 of cache or not?

Tseng said:
i currently have a a64 2800 to go with my 6800gt. i can get a 3400 for 143£ and a 3700 for 299£, is it worth coughing up the cash for 512 of cache or not?

Hold that thought for a minute. Within a few weeks the venice core will be coming out and within a few days to a week after its "official release" there will be reviews and whatnot that will go in depth about how well it oc's, performs with its new instruction set, termal stats, etc. ect.

As for going with a clawhammer model I suppose it would be worth it to get a 3400+ so long as you sell the 2800+ for a decent amount of cash.

if you plan to do some serious overclocking, i'd go with the 3700+
otherwise save the money and get the 3400+

however, along the lines of what demon said (though venice is for s939...) wait a while.. the core i'm more interested in at the moment is newark, the 90nm mobile chip: s754 with 1mb of cache. it probably won't be very cheap at first, but i'm sure it'll perform quite nicely ;)

i can never get the hang of overclocking so i guess ill go with the 3400.

(cf)Eclipse said:
if you plan to do some serious overclocking, i'd go with the 3700+
otherwise save the money and get the 3400+

Along these same lines if you go with a 3400+ you should easily be able to reach 3700+ speeds and save some of your hard-earned money.

the venice has a good probability of coming out for the socket 754 as well. The question really I guess are how much money do you really have and want to spend on this cpu upgrade. Also theres been no real answer to whether if the venice cores are going to come out at the high end first and then trickle down to the low end or will it quickly replace one of the many cores along the entire spectrum (low end to high end).

Really I suggest you hold off on making any decisions just yet. Give it a month and the facts should be clear as to what cpu core and what cpu rating you should get. As eclipse pointed out the Newark core is another core worth looking at.

As for the overclocking what problems have you had? Maybe you had a bad core, mobo, ram, or maybe a combination of these problems that kept you from achieving good results.

my main problems been knowing how to keep my ram at stock levels. i have a abit kv8 pro 1.1 and corsair 3200c2 rev 1.2 any tips would be apriciated.

Elias said:
Along these same lines if you go with a 3400+ you should easily be able to reach 3700+ speeds and save some of your hard-earned money.
i thought the 3400 was 2.4 with 512 cache and the 3700 2.4 with 1mb

you're right Tseng, and in my opinion, a clawhammer is better than a newcastle at an equal rating for stuff like gaming (this is significant because with the extra 512kb of cache, clawhammers are clocked 200mhz slower)
this is why i have my eye on the newark, the full meg of cache is crucial to me because gaming is most of what my system does (along with some photoshop and rendering work, but that's secondary)
base your purchase off what you think you will do most with the chip. if gaming it is, try to get a chip with 1mb of cache, though i advise against paying 50-75% more for the 3700+ over the 3400+.
once again, demondiablo has the right idea. wait out the next month or two and see how everything shapes up. ;)

made it to 2.2 ghz with my ram at 201. think ill hold off like you guys said thanks.

GJ on the OC! If you can get to 2.4 then you should have 3400+ newcastle performance.

Some 2800+'s get along just fine :D

Any new s754 cores are a welcome addition in my eyes.

Tseng said:
my main problems been knowing how to keep my ram at stock levels. i have a abit kv8 pro 1.1 and corsair 3200c2 rev 1.2 any tips would be apriciated.

A quick OC tip:

Bump your Vdimm up to 2.8 volts, this should allow your ram to run at a higher FSB w/o problems. Check stabilitly with Prime95. Also Monitor you CPU temps, especially if you're on stock cooling. GL

I hit 2.4 with a little extra Vcore (1.6), relaxed mem timmings (CAS 2.5), and a 5:6 divider (FSB = 224 ram/270 cpu)

i found i was getting shadows popping up on 3dmark05 backing down the fsb a touch seemed to fix it. the vcore is allso 1.77 is that ok?

i personally think over 1.65v is too much for a64's, unless you have high end water or phase change cooling.
also, you'll note that past 1.6v or so, there will be very limited returns on the extra speed you get. for me:
1.5 -> 1.55 = ~75mhz (2225 to 2300)
1.55 -> 1.6 = ~50mhz (2300 to 2350)
1.6 -> 1.75 = ~50mhz (2350 to 2400)

note the big jump in voltage to get to 2.4ghz. it's more practical to just leave the system at 2.35ghz because it puts out about 20watts more (99w to 121w by rough calculation) to go to 2.4ghz

Back