34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Do you have a neck like a giraffe? Or why are they so far up?
LMAO, exactly what I was wondering
hqdefault.jpg

or this to the extreme....looks like an extremely unfortable setup to me
-Domini-Free-shipping-fashion-home-computer-font-b-chair-b-font-swivel-office-font-b.jpg

Here is mine and my setup - For a reference point, directly above the 34UM95 is a 32 Vizio TV and to teh left is a mounted Dell U3011 acting as an extended desktop. All of which are vesa mounted of course. Boom goes the dynamite.

Hey you've got the same screen layout I'm considering. You don't see too many vertical stackers going on!

Can I ask - do you flit between sometimes gaming on the lower superwide and then sometimes gaming on the 32 screen you have above? If so, how do you do it and do you like it/ does it work well for you?

No sir just the 34UM95

And it is eye level. no giraffe neck

I thought ergonomic recommendations advice to look lightly downwards at the monitor.

Here is mine and my setup - For a reference point, directly above the 34UM95 is a 32 Vizio TV and to teh left is a mounted Dell U3011 acting as an extended desktop. All of which are vesa mounted of course. Boom goes the dynamite.

Wow, beautiful setup. You've got me thinking about keeping my ZR30w for an extended desktop.

How does Elder Scrolls online look? Have u played it alot? Did you get dizzy? I'm worried about that much FoV I might get dizzy. I have mine on order from amazon but Im checking new egg and others...Please post if u find it for 999.99

Just so you know the occulus rift dev's mention motion sickness as being a major issue with immersion in VR, and they attribute it mostly to screen blur making people "queasy". That is why they are pushing 90hz - 100hz and blur elimination technology / "low persistence".

Personally a 27" monitor within 2' still provides some peripheral viewing immersivity, though not much. I found my notably slow response time 27" cinema display's blury FoV movement very bad and it bothered my head and eyes more than my gut. This LG 21:9 display is 60hz and ips so will blur quite a lot during movement keying + mouse-pathing which continually move the FoV. Moving the monitor back further and keeping room lighting on would help vs any motion sickness someone might have, but moving to back too far defeats the purpose of filling your periphery for immersion.

On my 27" 120hz TN the only game that gave me actual motion sickeness was "Dead Island", because the camera is tied to the character's head and in first person whenever the character would pick up an item or stomp on a monster it would go through an automatic sequence where the character and camera would lurch and reel all over the place, irrespective of what you were doing with your controls/mouse-look. It would really bother me and there was no way to disable it.

Just got mine setup! For all you fellow flight sim junkies heres some ROF shots! Its an awesome monitor, if I had only one wish I would wish for it to be 96-120hz refresh, other than that its perfect!

Just so you know the occulus rift dev's mention motion sickness as being a major issue with immersion in VR, and they attribute it mostly to screen blur making people "queasy". That is why they are pushing 90hz - 100hz and blur elimination technology / "low persistence".

You can't compare motion blur and refresh rates on a virtual reality headset to that of a stationary monitor because they're entirely different concepts.

A virtual reality headset is mounted on your head. The display needs to refresh at a very high speed and low latency because it must track the movement of your head. If it doesn't, the world will lag slightly behind the motion of your head, which is incredibly disorienting and causes motion sickness.

A stationary monitor doesn't have this problem, because it's always stationary. It doesn't need to track the movements of your head. If you move your head, the monitor instantly moves across your field of vision regardless of the refresh rate. Some people can still get motion sick, of course, but it's a different mechanism.

Bottom line: You can't compare head-mounted display refresh rates to those of your stationary monitor.

EDIT: Here's a great post by Carmack on the differences between traditional systems and head-mounted displays, along with a discussion of all of their latency mitigation strategies. http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/

Last edited:
How does Elder Scrolls online look? Have u played it alot? Did you get dizzy? I'm worried about that much FoV I might get dizzy. I have mine on order from amazon but Im checking new egg and others...Please post if u find it for 999.99

LOOKS and PLAYS amazing. Youll never look back trust.

Looks great! Mines on order from amazon but im searching other places...hopefully someone will have it in stock soon. Whats that add-on for elder scrolls at the bottom left for quickbar items?

LOOKS and PLAYS amazing. Youll never look back trust.

I like that. Now how to convince the wife I need one haha the flight some pics look amazing. I've been out of the flight sim genre for some time. That makes me want to get back into it

I like that. Now how to convince the wife I need one haha the flight some pics look amazing. I've been out of the flight sim genre for some time. That makes me want to get back into it

Just tell her all of those extra pixels will make you more productive, which will result in more free time for you to spend with her later. :D

Ok, just got it. Amazing display. Surprisingly, a 670 gtx works in most games I play with a few lowered settings (makes me reconsider the planed upgrade to 780, I'd rather wait for 880gtx).
Flying and landing in FSX is just beautiful.
I get like 140fps in CS GO, around 90 in Dota 2, 35 in FSX, 20-25 in Eurotruck Sim 2 (with max settings).
I have yet to try Skyrim and Metro, I will report back once I test those.

How well does this monitor work in a portrait orientation?

You'd have to bring your own stand, because the included one obviously doesn't support portrait orientation.

Even then, it's not going to be comfortable to use in portrait mode unless you're sitting relatively far from the monitor.

Keep in mind that the monitor is over two and a half feet wide. That would make for a crazy tall monitor in portrait mode.

Could someone with this monitor please share the actual measurements of the screen display area itself? (not the dimensions of the overall unit including bezel)

Trying to map out how this would compare with my 16:10 30" I'm thinking of replacing

Thank you!

Last edited:
Could someone with this monitor please share the actual measurements of the screen display area itself? (not the dimensions of the overall unit including bezel)

Trying to map out how this would compare with my 16:10 30" I'm thinking of replacing

Thank you!

The LG website states that the pixel pitch is 0.2325mm. From there we can extrapolate that it is 3440 * 0.2325mm = 800mm (31.5 inches) wide and 1440 * 0.2325 = 335mm (13.2 inches) tall.

The LG website states that the pixel pitch is 0.2325mm. From there we can extrapolate that it is 3440 * 0.2325mm = 800mm (31.5 inches) wide and 1440 * 0.2325 = 335mm (13.2 inches) tall.

Thank you!

eek. I'm worried about losing vertical screen. Hmmm..

Looking at the 32 and the 34 in the same picture the 32 is just lot bigger dont you think?

This monitor made me trade my U3011 away to day. Man I wanted to keep it, but I need the sRGB colors and the wide timeline for Premier.

Ok, just got it. Amazing display. Surprisingly, a 670 gtx works in most games I play with a few lowered settings (makes me reconsider the planed upgrade to 780, I'd rather wait for 880gtx).
Flying and landing in FSX is just beautiful.
I get like 140fps in CS GO, around 90 in Dota 2, 35 in FSX, 20-25 in Eurotruck Sim 2 (with max settings).
I have yet to try Skyrim and Metro, I will report back once I test those.

Very interested in your results. I only really play LoL right now and have an old video card. Will need to upgrade, but I don't want to drop a lot if I don't have to as prices will come down soon.

Yeah well ive looked at that and still cant decide. I like the idea of big monitor
Like a 30 2560x1600 is big enought for me but my 2560x1440
27 is just to small. So i worry that the 34 will be little wider but just seem small

Yeah well ive looked at that and still cant decide. I like the idea of big monitor
Like a 30 2560x1600 is big enought for me but my 2560x1440
27 is just to small. So i worry that the 34 will be little wider but just seem small

Its not small, its right there in the "perfect size" sweet zone! I am coming from a Qnix 27" 1440p and the 34UM95 is sooooo much nicer! That extra width really makes a huge difference. IMHO 34-36" 21:9s are the perfect display size.

Its not small, its right there in the "perfect size" sweet zone! I am coming from a Qnix 27" 1440p and the 34UM95 is sooooo much nicer! That extra width really makes a huge difference. IMHO 34-36" 21:9s are the perfect display size.

I agree, its a perfect size! I am loving this display!

Man am I having a hard time deciding.

The display wars comparison really just show that its an aspect ratio change and not really a "what you can see" change.

But maybe wider is better than taller...hmmm

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-06%20at%202.42.39%20PM.png

You can't compare motion blur and refresh rates on a virtual reality headset to that of a stationary monitor because they're entirely different concepts.

A virtual reality headset is mounted on your head. The display needs to refresh at a very high speed and low latency because it must track the movement of your head. If it doesn't, the world will lag slightly behind the motion of your head, which is incredibly disorienting and causes motion sickness.

A stationary monitor doesn't have this problem, because it's always stationary. It doesn't need to track the movements of your head. If you move your head, the monitor instantly moves across your field of vision regardless of the refresh rate. Some people can still get motion sick, of course, but it's a different mechanism.

Bottom line: You can't compare head-mounted display refresh rates to those of your stationary monitor.

EDIT: Here's a great post by Carmack on the differences between traditional systems and head-mounted displays, along with a discussion of all of their latency mitigation strategies. http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/

The point was that encapsulation of your periphery to the exclusion of your real world contributes to or causes motion sickness in 1st/3rd person FoV games for some people. Which is why lighting a room instead of the monitor being the only thing you see in the dark, and why moving a monitor back so that it doesn't fill your view are common "fixes" for sufferers. In the suffering scenarios for those people, motion blur definitely exacerbates motion sickness and 60hz ips monitors have the worst blur.

I wasn't saying this monitor will induce motion sickness in people not sensitive to it, but the person who asked the question seemed to have concerns about motion sickness. Filling the majority of your view with a very blurry FoV movement viewport could certainly push some people over the edge into motion sickness though.

Last edited:
Man am I having a hard time deciding.

The display wars comparison really just show that its an aspect ratio change and not really a "what you can see" change.

But maybe wider is better than taller...hmmm

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-06%20at%202.42.39%20PM.png

At 13" its plenty tall and the 1440p vertical pixels are nice and acceptable for viewing legal size documents. The extra width lets you comfortably view three web pages at once whereas you can only view two pages comfortably with 16:9. For gaming, 21:9 is perfect as you gain some crucial peripheral view and do not have the fisheye effect that triple displays encounter. Nothing is wasted with 21:9s real estate!

Just got mine setup! For all you fellow flight sim junkies heres some ROF shots! Its an awesome monitor, if I had only one wish I would wish for it to be 96-120hz refresh, other than that its perfect!

Thx,
I think FSX will be awesome on it.
Today my 34UM65 shipped (the 95 is too expensive and too much pixel for my GTX470). I think it will be a nice upgrade from my 22" 1680x1050 monitor.

^^^^^^^^That should be interesting karod-ger, keep us posted on how you like it!

Back