34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

marm0t, did you get it for $999?

http://www.frys.com/product/8069024?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm hoping to see a Dell version pop up soon...I dig the Dell advanced RMA warranty and their epic monitor stands. Or I'm willing to venture into Korean monitor territory (Yamakasi) and buy an A- panel for a big discount....maybe $600 shipped? Well see how things unfold

I was hoping for a 4k monitor by this summer...but it appears like Samsung 28 inch is the only one available for the time being....and I'm just not impressed with that monitor....lol

marm0t, did you get it for $999?

http://www.frys.com/product/8069024?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm hoping to see a Dell version pop up soon...I dig the Dell advanced RMA warranty and their epic monitor stands. Or I'm willing to venture into Korean monitor territory (Yamakasi) and buy an A- panel for a big discount....maybe $600 shipped? Well see how things unfold

I was hoping for a 4k monitor by this summer...but it appears like Samsung 28 inch is the only one available for the time being....and I'm just not impressed with that monitor....lol

I dont think we are far enough into the lifespan of the panel to see Korean guys pick it up and run with it yet. I would imagine that would be somewhere around 6 months to a year from now.

I paid 999+tax at frys here in Las Vegas today. I really like dell's stands but the all gloss look of the LG here is pretty slick looking overall. I'm just glad they put a VESA mount on the back of it, because this default stand definitely isnt going to last =p I like my monitors lower. It would honestly be a tossup between the two. The LG looks better, the Dell functions better.

Same panel AFAIK. Probably same price as well.

Thanks for all the photos. Mine is on a Fedex truck for delivery today. Can't wait! I'll post a photo too once it gets here. I'm also coming from a U3011 so your impressions are making me even more excited for this display.

k4hz0d6.jpg

White vs white with the 3011 was shocking... to say the least. I did not expect that much of a difference.

The UM95 certainly feels much more vivid because of the lack of AG, but it looks insanely good side by side vs the dell

Thanks for posting the pictures as well as the AG comments. Good to finally see these hitting the end user.

As for the side-by-side white vs white comparison: It's quite normal and expected for two different monitors to have different white points unless they're both calibrated. Usually it's hard to notice until you put them side-by-side as you did. Calibrating both monitors to a known white point would make the whites match.

That's why I always calibrate both monitors in a side-by-side setup. Even monitors of the same model can differ by quite a bit until they're calibrated.

Apparently I had one of my orders still in limbo due to all of Neweggs issues with my billing address and one that was on hold just canceled. Monitor now shows in stock but it's only 1 :p if anyone still wants one

Apparently I had one of my orders still in limbo due to all of Neweggs issues with my billing address and one that was on hold just canceled. Monitor now shows in stock but it's only 1 :p if anyone still wants one

I just grabbed it! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got it setup, definitely loving this monitor so far! Only question I have, there is now an unknown device in my device manager - TUSB3410 Boot Device. I have a feeling this is something to do with either the monitor's Thunderbolt ports or the USB 3.0 on the back. Anyone know where I can find this driver? Googling it only gave me spam/junk driver sites.

http://i.imgur.com/dYoS2As.jpg

A random Hot Fuzz 1080p clip i have playing in VLC is bloody BEAUTIFUL when scaled to the rez of the 34UM95. Its drop dead wonderful... I've never really viewed a movie on a 21:9 ratio display before.

DAMN.
lol its the same as viewing it on a 16:9 screen except no small black bars. :D

Oh man.. Frys has them. This makes it very very tempting!
I would prefer to get a Dell, but I havent heard anything about them.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm so buying one of these, has everything I want for a new monitor. Wife is so going to kill me spending 1k on a monitor again lol. Had a dell 3007hc before. Also have a Samsung 120hz 23 inch. I really hate the gloss on my Samsung, I'm really sensitive to light and and glare hurts my eye's and drives my crazy. So I'm glad this is matt but not as much as the dell has I could see the grain it added to the picture. Also 1 high end card should drive this pretty well. Since it's 4.9million pixels vs the 4 million of 2560x1600 the 3.6 million of 2560x1440 or 8.2 million of 3840x2160. Figure I'll end up picking up a 290 or 290x to drive this.

Zorn your camera puts me to shame. I made the monitor look downright ugly. Good job conveying the vastness!

I think I may head down to frys and see how many they have on hand.. I was thinking of turning another one upside down and mounting it above the first for watching streams while I game.

I just called them. According to them, they will not take the monitor back if I choose it doesn't work for me.

That's strange, it says in a couple places on their eBay page that you can get a full refund within 30 days. Hope I don't have any issues then.

That's strange, it says in a couple places on their eBay page that you can get a full refund within 30 days. Hope I don't have any issues then.

Thats what I read. Then I called and they told me they treat monitors like TV's so to follow the TV return policy stated in their fine print. Can only be returned if sealed they told me. Once opened, the manufacturer warranty takes affect and they don't take it back. I was ready to purchase but want a place I can return if I find it doesn't work out for my setup. Good look. Monitor looks so nice

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats what I read. Then I called and they told me they treat monitors like TV's so to follow the TV return policy stated in their fine print. Can only be returned if sealed they told me. Once opened, the manufacturer warranty takes affect and they don't take it back. I was ready to purchase but want a place I can return if I find it doesn't work out for my setup. Good look. Monitor looks so nice

That is why I waited until I could get it from a big etailer like Newegg or Amazon, but like me you may have been waiting months for the release of this monitor so I can understand. I am hoping mine arrives on Monday. I should have paid the $50 for overnight.

That is why I waited until I could get it from a big etailer like Newegg or Amazon, but like me you may have been waiting months for the release of this monitor so I can understand. I am hoping mine arrives on Monday. I should have paid the $50 for overnight.

I've been waiting a while. I didn't make the purchase so waiting for Newegg or Amazon to get them again. I held off purchasing the Apple Thunderbolt display because of lack of update on the USB ports etc.....and this monitor has caught my eye.

I was going to order it until I read were u said no return. I can return anything on my credit card but I dont want that hassle. So please please guys..if u see this monitor for 999.99 somewhere post it please..I'm ready to buy!

So I got it setup, definitely loving this monitor so far! Only question I have, there is now an unknown device in my device manager - TUSB3410 Boot Device. I have a feeling this is something to do with either the monitor's Thunderbolt ports or the USB 3.0 on the back. Anyone know where I can find this driver? Googling it only gave me spam/junk driver sites.

TUSB3410 is the USB 3.0 device ;)

Just Google it and I'm sure you'll find the driver..... OR .....You can look on the ASUS website (most of the newer Asus ROG series motherboards use the same driver. Try the downloads section for the Rampage IV Black Edition for example ).

If the monitor came with a CD, check it as well.

TUSB3410 is the USB 3.0 device ;)

Just Google it and I'm sure you'll find the driver..... OR .....You can look on the ASUS website (most of the newer Asus ROG series motherboards use the same driver. Try the downloads section for the Rampage IV Black Edition for example ).

If the monitor came with a CD, check it as well.

The monitor did come with a CD, but after running it this driver is still missing. Googling just brought up scam sites, but I will check ASUS to see if that driver works. Thanks.

Zorn your camera puts me to shame. I made the monitor look downright ugly. Good job conveying the vastness!

I think I may head down to frys and see how many they have on hand.. I was thinking of turning another one upside down and mounting it above the first for watching streams while I game.

What camera did you use to take that pic? Colors came out really nice.

The monitor did come with a CD, but after running it this driver is still missing. Googling just brought up scam sites, but I will check ASUS to see if that driver works. Thanks.

What OS are you running? 8 pulled down the driver straight away for mine. Not home though so I can't check specifics

I don't see why you guys are in a big rush to buy this monitor. In a month it will be easy to get.

In any event I decided to cancel my order for the Samsung U28D590D (hopefully they won't ship it first) and buy this one instead. I was really disappointed in the PQ of the 590D I had previously, whether it was because it was TN, or whether it was a bad one I don't know. I think I'd rather have a larger display than 4k at this point.

That depends what you mean by larger. From a virtual camera viewpoint, it is (21:9 aspect vs 16:9).. but from a desktop real estate and non-HoR+ gaming standpoint, it is much smaller than a 4k real estate wise (3440x1440 vs "quadHD" 3840x2160).

This 21:9 monitor basically adds 880 (1/2.909'th) to one side of a 2560x1440, or 440 (1/5.8'th)to each side. A 4k "adds" +1280 total horizontally or +640 to each side, and +720 total vertical or +360 to top and bottom vs a 2560x1440 screen. That's +400 more horizontal (+200 left/+200 right) and +720 more vertical (+360 top/+360 bottom) real estate than this 21:9 monitor.

I do like the 21:9 FoV look even for desktop/app use, and it would match up a lot more cleanly with a 2560x1440 alongside of it (if I got the asus 120hz-144hz 2560x1440 one later).

http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/4k_21x9_27in_30in_same-ppi.jpg

Last edited:
That depends what you mean by larger. From a virtual camera viewpoint, it is (21:9 aspect vs 16:9).. but from a desktop real estate and non-HoR+ gaming standpoint, it is much smaller than a 4k real estate wise (3440x1440 vs "quadHD" 3840x2160).

This 21:9 monitor basically adds 880 (1/2.909'th) to one side of a 2560x1440, or 440 (1/5.8'th)to each side. A 4k "adds" +1280 total horizontally or +640 to each side, and +720 total vertical or +360 to top and bottom vs a 2560x1440 screen. That's +400 more horizontal (+200 left/+200 right) and +720 more vertical (+360 top/+360 bottom) real estate than this 21:9 monitor.

I do like the 21:9 FoV look even for desktop/app use, and it would match up a lot more cleanly with a 2560x1440 alongside of it (if I got the asus 120hz-144hz 2560x1440 one later).

Well I'm going blind anyways so when I had the 590D I scaled the text to 200% so it will be no great loss. The few games I played in 4k like BF4 & Thief I really couldn't tell all that much of a difference from 1440p. Maybe they weren't the best games to take advantage of 4k, I don't know, but it could be it's just harder to tell the difference on the smaller screen.

I do like the 21:9 FoV look even for desktop/ and it would match up a lot more cleanly with a 2560x1440 alongside of it (if I got the asus 120hz-144hz 2560x1440 one later).

I agree. This thing has way more immersion than my 3011. Which i wouldn't have believed unless I played with it at CES earlier this year. the only thing i would switch to would be an even larger format of 21:9. Its just beautiful. I'll be gaming on it all weekend and will be posting more screen shots for you guys as well.

I don't see why you guys are in a big rush to buy this monitor. In a month it will be easy to get.

Because it's the first of its kind that is applicable to what we like In monitors. . At least for me. I won't settle for anything less than a 30 inch, and this is less than half the price of a 32 inch 4k. (Which uses mst). I am excited about the future of the aspect ratio as well, at least in large format monitor scenarios. I'm ok with throwing some money out to send that message.

Back