34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - AOC u3477pqu

I really don't get why they only included the single display port. For me, its pretty much a deal breaker as I use both my main gaming pc and work laptop plugged into my 3011, and would like to do the same with any replacement and drive full res.

At this point only the Dell curved is looking like having the required inputs, and they sure do seem to be taking their sweet time releasing it.

The 40" 4k Phillips is another spanner in the works as well, as that *does* have two DP ports.

Yeah probably but I'd really rather the monitor just came with the appropriate ports to drive it's optimal resolution.

Yeah probably but I'd really rather the monitor just came with the appropriate ports to drive it's optimal resolution.

Shouldn't the AOC push 3440x1440 @60Hz over HDMI 2.0 like the Dell & LG 34" ultrawides?

Pretty sure the Dell manual says that it specifically supports this, but there is no mention in either the LG or AOC manuals about such support, though iirc, the LG does this through a custom defined profile (while using a v2.0 compliant 900-series card).

Wasn't the LG capped @50Hz for whatever reason on the HDMI?

Limitation of HDMI, I think.. just seem to recall that others were able to get 3440x1440 @60Hz using an HDMI 2.0 connection from the 970/980.

$999 and "sold-out online" (or just not available yet).

Just changed to $899 tonight (and still not available yet).

Limitation of HDMI, I think.. just seem to recall that others were able to get 3440x1440 @60Hz using an HDMI 2.0 connection from the 970/980.

More specifically, a limitation of HDMI 1.4
You're right, people have been reporting 3440x1440@60 over HDMI 2.0 although I believe they have to set the resolution in nvidia's control panel manually

Releasing today here in the West supposedly.

Yeah, AOC's press release said it would be available in the US from Amazon and Best Buy on Dec 8th (today). It's still not even listed at Amazon, and Best Buy hasn't had any in-stock yet (been checking constantly).

What a shit way to launch a product :p

It launched in Sweden last thursday, and min finally arrived today. Minimal bleed and no dead pixels, really happy so far.

Took 1 quick picture as soon as i got it up and running. Colors look awful thanks to the camera. Will update with more tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/R3RqhtR.jpg

Will update with more tomorrow.

Nice! Hey, if you get a chance, could you tell me how tall the stand is..

TrAWxFt.jpg

I have somewhat limited height where my desk is (sloped ceiling) and was wondering how far away from the wall I'd have to place the monitor.

Thanks!

_____

The official launch day in the US is now over, and the U3477PQU hasn't been available to purchase anywhere :(

Last edited:
I emailed AOC on Monday and they said the stocking issues have to do with the port of LA being frozen/ over congested due to labor issues. The boat containing all their products including the u3477pqu is currently sitting in the harbor waiting to be unloaded, no ETA provided.

I emailed AOC on Monday and they said the stocking issues have to do with the port of LA being frozen/ over congested due to labor issues. The boat containing all their products including the u3477pqu is currently sitting in the harbor waiting to be unloaded, no ETA provided.

Much thanks for the info! I was just in the middle of emailing them myself and had to come back here to find the link I posted of their press release.. guess I'll hold off on bothering them again ;)

Glad to hear they sent a shipment via slow boat, rather than a small initial shipment via air.

According to this news article, the LA ports labor dispute is slowing down shipments by ~1 week. So, we better damn well see these in-stock before next Wednesday, if AOC's story is true..

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/are-west-coast-longshoremen-spoiling-christmas-113395.html

So where and when can we get this monitor??

It's available in Australia, Korea, Netherlands, and I think Italy.

Was supposed to be available in the US last week at Best Buy and Amazon, but supposedly the shipment got tied up in the LA ports due to the labor strike.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing the curved Dell U3415W in the US before we see the U3477PQU.

I e-mailed AOC last week concerning availability and this is what I got:

Thank you for your interest in AOC and our U3477PQU monitor. The model will be available in both US and in Canada. It will be available for purchase in February. If you need any assistance locating a dealer please let me know.

Best regards,

Greg Vincent

I e-mailed AOC last week concerning availability and this is what I got:

Thank you for your interest in AOC and our U3477PQU monitor. The model will be available in both US and in Canada. It will be available for purchase in February. If you need any assistance locating a dealer please let me know.

February?? Screw them. Why in the heck did they even bother with a US press release announcing availability on Dec 8th??

I'm getting the Dell U3415W or the Samsung S34E790C instead.. these guys are complete ass clowns :mad:

Here is the official US press release for the U3477PQU that was retweeted by AOC US, in case anyone else wants to ask them why they're so full of shit..

http://www.futurelooks.com/the-aoc-34-inch-ultrawidequad-hd-u3477pqu-monitor-goes-wide/

http://us.aoc.com/contact

February?? Screw them. Why in the heck did they even bother with a US press release announcing availability on Dec 8th??

I'm getting the Dell U3415W or the Samsung S34E790C instead.. these guys are complete ass clowns :mad:
Yeah honestly I can't really find a reason to excuse AOC for how they behaved about this monitor. Announced July 22nd to be first released in September (EU) and October (US), then delayed to November globally, then "officially" to Dec 8th, then..... nothing? Just disappeared in the dark? What the actual fuss is wrong with you AOC?? :mad:

It will be available for purchase in February. If you need any assistance locating a dealer please let me know.

The same guy just got back to me today, and also said February, but.. he also said that they were available on the 8th in very limited quantities.

Dunno, how that's even possible, without someone here at [H] having purchased one.. this whole thing is incredibly disappointing :(

If anyone actually managed to get one shipped from the Best Buy link I posted last week, please let us know.

when does the Samsung S34E790C get released?

Don't think an actual ETA has been given yet. Just this week, their US product page went live (and was then quickly pulled), and OCUK is expecting theirs in-stock this Friday.

Gibbo mentioned that the S34E790C was exclusive to them only during its pre-order, so it could be possible that it's launching in other regions at the same time?

Should have bit on the 34um95 with me AFD. Lol glad I did when I did ;)

:D Agree. I saw a good deal on an open-box 34UM94 at Newegg this week, and thought to myself.. "Hey, this would be an awesome score if it's the one Bowhuntr returned!"

Though, I'm pretty sure it was just one of the dozens of others that got returned for bad IPS glow. No idea how you got 2 really nice ones!

Ya they weren't bad. It was there, just not "bad"...You should have just bought it from me :p

Man... if this could just be revealed to be freesync-enabled, I would bite the moment it drops.

Just bought an LG 34UM95.. couldn't wait any longer, and the deal was good enough.

Wish me luck! :)

Heh, good luck. I know you've been holding out for a while.

I hope yours is like my UM94 and doesn't fall into the excessive BLB category!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Using the AOC u3477pqu on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with Display Port / Windows 8.1

Issues I've been having

#1 -- When First starting the Monitor it turned on for a few seconds ....suddenly made a POP sound and Shut off. I then had to unplug the power cable & plug it back on for it to work again.

#2 --- Second Issue once it started working again....I put the computer AND the monitor into sleep mode. I then leave it for a few hours. Then waking it up from sleep mode the Monitor stays on for 10 seconds ( i can move the mouse etc )...Then POP shuts off....and i have to unplug / replug for it to work.

#3 -- In Power Options In windows, If I set the Setting To Turn off the display ( sleep ) To 5min for example....The screen wont ever fall asleep. It will just continuously turn on and off every 5min (What ever interval it was set to ).

I have seen the Other Threads On the LG34 ........And some people are experiencing similar issues.

I have Installed the Drivers on the disk Provided with the AOC Monitor.
I have also installed GeForce 344.80 Beta Drivers.
I ALSO Disabled Display Port 1.2 in the OSD settings and switched to 1.1 .

At this moment I am not Experiecing the POP issues after these changes.
But I still cannot put the Monitor to sleep. ( When I don't want the computer to sleep ).

Plus I cannot Switch to HDMI 2.0 As I believe there are no HDMI 2.0 Ports On AOC.

Anyone Have Similar Issues / Ways to Revolve this sleep Problem While still using DP?

More listings on eBay, but nothing more reputable at this time (EDIT: in the U.S. -- Amazon UK has them).

But now prices are around $1000, so while not nearly valued properly when you can get a Dell curved for about that much (after discounts/coupons).

Hopefully these will hit more widely and we'll see prices come down.

(and a firmware update for freesync... don't crush my dreams!)

Just updating to say Best Buy now has a page for this:

This one still looks nice to me. Wonder if the sale price will drop any further...

I noticed BB had them a few days ago, but was still too mad at AOC's shenanigans to spread the word :D

Price has to drop if they plan on selling any more than a handful. Don't think many can justify spending $900 on the flat AOC when the LG can be had for under $800 and the curved Dell for under $1,000 (depending on sales/promos). Too much competition now from companies that have much better brand recognition in the US (Dell, Samsung, LG). Great looking monitor otherwise, though.

Thought I saw someone post in the big 34" thread this week that their AOC had really bad backlight bleed?

Thought I saw someone post in the big 34" thread this week that their AOC had really bad backlight bleed?

I'm not sure, but I do wish a few more reviews were out there. The ones that are read more like PR than reviews.

Using the AOC u3477pqu on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with Display Port / Windows 8.1

Issues I've been having

#1 -- When First starting the Monitor it turned on for a few seconds ....suddenly made a POP sound and Shut off. I then had to unplug the power cable & plug it back on for it to work again.

#2 --- Second Issue once it started working again....I put the computer AND the monitor into sleep mode. I then leave it for a few hours. Then waking it up from sleep mode the Monitor stays on for 10 seconds ( i can move the mouse etc )...Then POP shuts off....and i have to unplug / replug for it to work.

#3 -- In Power Options In windows, If I set the Setting To Turn off the display ( sleep ) To 5min for example....The screen wont ever fall asleep. It will just continuously turn on and off every 5min (What ever interval it was set to ).

I have seen the Other Threads On the LG34 ........And some people are experiencing similar issues.

I have Installed the Drivers on the disk Provided with the AOC Monitor.
I have also installed GeForce 344.80 Beta Drivers.
I ALSO Disabled Display Port 1.2 in the OSD settings and switched to 1.1 .

At this moment I am not Experiecing the POP issues after these changes.
But I still cannot put the Monitor to sleep. ( When I don't want the computer to sleep ).

Plus I cannot Switch to HDMI 2.0 As I believe there are no HDMI 2.0 Ports On AOC.

Anyone Have Similar Issues / Ways to Revolve this sleep Problem While still using DP?

Hi there - did you get answers to your key questions in this post? I am also experiencing issues - particularly with the displayport 1.1 and 1.2 flickering that exists. I saw a few posts elsewhere whereby people were investigating a firmware update, but I haven't read that anyone received one..

In terms of Displayport 1.1. - I've noticed that the nvidia control panel runs 3440x1440 @60hz but only 6-bit colour opposed to 8-bit colour. Thus - I've reverted to 1.2 again.

Back