32inch OLED

Odigo

Gawd
What's the deal with the lack of 32inch OLED? 27inch and 42+ seem to be the norm.

What's the deal with the lack of 32inch OLED? 27inch and 42+ seem to be the norm.
Panels are manufactured in a way that the best return on investment is realized. I think I saw somewhere that manufacturers use a "template" of sorts and that the templates used don't size down to 32 inches. So in order for a 32 inch monitor to come out, panel manufacturers would have to change their process. Somewhere along the line, someone has deemed that at this time, it doesn't make financial sense to make 32 inch OLED monitors.

OLEDs are manufactured on a big sheet called a motherglass. This sheet can be used for X number displays of Y size and Z resolution. Basically the 48 and 42" models are byproducts of making larger TVs where you might be able to cut say one 77" panel but then have leftover area on the motherglass. To make most use of the material, the idea is to figure out what fits into that area that yields the maximum amount of product. I assume the oddball 45" 3440x1440 model exists for this reason.

But if you consider even the 27" 1440p models have fairly low brightness, I expect LG or Samsung simply cannot make 4K displays in 27-32" sizes that would work well.

JOLED makes the LG 32EP950 4K 32" panel. JOLED makes inkjet printed displays which were supposed to make OLEDs cheaper but so far seems to be a fairly niche tech. They are also only 60 Hz so they end up in "pro" level displays with pricing to match. They have a peak brightness of about 600 nits so even less than the 42" LG OLED TVs. Significantly higher 100% window brightness tho!

OLEDs are manufactured on a big sheet called a motherglass. This sheet can be used for X number displays of Y size and Z resolution. Basically the 48 and 42" models are byproducts of making larger TVs where you might be able to cut say one 77" panel but then have leftover area on the motherglass. To make most use of the material, the idea is to figure out what fits into that area that yields the maximum amount of product. I assume the oddball 45" 3440x1440 model exists for this reason.

But if you consider even the 27" 1440p models have fairly low brightness, I expect LG or Samsung simply cannot make 4K displays in 27-32" sizes that would work well.

JOLED makes the LG 32EP950 4K 32" panel. JOLED makes inkjet printed displays which were supposed to make OLEDs cheaper but so far seems to be a fairly niche tech. They are also only 60 Hz so they end up in "pro" level displays with pricing to match. They have a peak brightness of about 600 nits so even less than the 42" LG OLED TVs. Significantly higher 100% window brightness tho!
The JOLED’s are also RGB subpixel I believe.

Back