32", IPS, Native 1440p, 60Hz, does such a beast exist?

Brent_Justice

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a 32" native 1440p IPS display. I am aware of the BenQ and Samsung 32" `1440p displays, but IIRC they are VA panels. Do any IPS 32" 1440p displays exist out there somewhere? 10-bit preferred, but not required.

Thanks

What about a 34" IPS Native 1440p (ultrawide) from LG, Dell, or AOG?

i gota ask why 1400 over 1600? Ill never understand why people like this, movies is literally the least important thing one does on a computer and the lack of verticle space impacts everything else

Would also like to get my hands on a 32" IPS. I love my current AH-VA 32" monitor, but viewing angles are not quite as good as IPS, also input lag is a bit more than I like. I'm Coming from a S27A950D 120hz.

Last edited:
i gota ask why 1400 over 1600? Ill never understand why people like this, movies is literally the least important thing one does on a computer and the lack of verticle space impacts everything else
Because 16:9 is the standardized aspect ratio for high-definition digital content. All in-home entertainment consumption types today are designed around this aspect ratio, and so it is with computer monitors. I can understand wanting the extra vertical pixels for productivity, but does it really make that big of a difference on a 32" screen? I work on a 16:9 monitor all day with multiple spreadsheets, word documents, e-mail, and internet windows open. The extra 2/5 of an inch I would get on the top and bottom of the screen wouldn't affect my productivity one way or the other. For productivity, I would much prefer more horizontal space like a 21:9 monitor offers.

21:9 are unusable for people who frequently work in portrait mode though (I do).

@Brent_Justice: I know, I want a 32" as well, but seeing the news chances we'll see some in the near future (2015) are good.

The best monitors use 27" 1440p panels. Get a glow free Eizo EV2736W (may not use a glow free panel) or CX271 (glow free+hardware calibration).

Not that I need to justify my preference, but for me it is about gaming. I want native 1440p for gaming, I believe it is the perfect resolution I can get away with with one video card, not requiring SLI or CrossFire, and recording my let's play youtube gaming channel at native 16:9 ratio 1440p so it fits youtube's format better. I don't want games stretched, or with bars on the top and bottom, trying to run 1440p on a native 1600p display, I just want a native 1440p display so the aspect ratio of 16:9 is correct. I want a 32" or 34" display because it is better for gaming, and work, both. It makes everything smoother, easier, simpler in this format for me.

32"-34" 1440p is what I want. I was interested in the BenQ and Samsung displays, but again they are VA, I'd prefer IPS if I could have it.

32"=1440p A-MVA or 4K. Sit closer to a 27", especially a glow free monitor and you won't care about the size. The larger the non-glow free panel, the further away one has to sit to avoid seeing glow.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm solid on a 32"-34" 1440p display for my usage. I'd prefer IPS if I can find it, I might settle for VA, but would prefer not to have to. Thanks to everyone on 32" 1440p IPS information, if you find out anything more, let me know.

Would also like to get my hands on a 32" IPS. I love my current AH-VA 32" monitor, but viewing angles are not quite as good as IPS, also input lag is a bit more than I like. I'm Coming from a S27A950D 120hz.

Which display do you have?

30", 1600p, 60hz, IPS, many.
32", 1440p, 60hz, VA, lately few appeared.
27", 1440p, 144Hz, IPS - panel announced and supposedly only of this size, maybe soon actual monitors will follow, but no definite ETA.
Choose one of these three options. There are no monitors that include all the OP wished features within, and i haven't heard of any news on such planned future ones, so my bet is that even if they will be released, then no sooner then +2-3 years at least. But i'd rather bet that in 2-3 years 4K will start taking off rather then manufacturers focusing on intermediate resolution big size IPS monitors.

In a similar dilemma as OP recently. Just settled and today got a qx320qhd for $310 shipped so I'm pretty happy with that

Why IPS? Why not VA?

I have a BenQ BL3200PT and I'm very happy with it. The ONLY thing I wish it didn't have, is a vertical band roughly 1/3 from the left of the screen. But that seems to be variation, because many people report they don't have it. And other than that band, it is the best allround screen I have ever owned. Fantastic contrast, great colors, good enough viewing angles, reasonable response times and unnoticeable input lag. Pixel density is at the sweet spot and exactly the same as 24" 1080 panels. Backlight is PWM-free, so no flickering. Anti-glare coating is just right and I see no shimmering; it's almost semi-glossy. Connectivity is great as well, with VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort. It also has USB 3.0, a card reader and speakers.

As an allround monitor, it is highly recommended. The only caveat: try to get one without vertical bands.

A selection of reviews:

-TFT Central:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

-Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benq-bl3200pt-qhd-monitor,3898-10.html

-Digital Versus:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/benq-bl3200pt-p20769/test.html

-Display Lag:

http://www.displaylag.com/benq-bl3200pt-review-32-large-wqhd-monitor/

-Linus Tech Tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifU4ZWWZNb8

-Prad.de (German):

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-benq-bl3200pt.html

-Amazon (user reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT-32-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00ITORMNM

-Newegg (user reviews):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014372

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How does A-MVA (MVA) compare to VA and IPS?

Better than VA, but not on par with IPS? Kinda in the middle?

AMVA+ are pretty much the only VA-type panels available on the market at the moment. Compared to the older PVA/MVA they have improved viewing angles (comparable to IPS/PLS) but reduced contrast ratio (3000:1 instead of 5000:1).
They also come with much improved RTC/overdrive, bringing them close to IPS-type performance, but some color transitions remain slow (from black to light-grey for instance) so it's possible to see some more or less noticeable trailing during quick shifting between dark and clear zones.

IPS/PLS are still faster overall, pixel transitions are more consistent with none being really problematic. Colors feel more natural than VA but contrast ratio is weak (typical 1000:1) which sucks for movies.
Their viewing angles are the best but most IPS/PLS 'glow' on dark content when viewed from an angle. Exceptions to that rule are scarce.
EDIT: you'll come across the 'AHVA' acronym, which despite the 'VA' actually designates an IPS-type panel, manufactured by AUO.

To be honest unless you spend time playing games with really fast-moving contents like FPS, you can be more than happy with a good VA (AMVA+).
Otherwise go for an IPS (that glow-free EIZO or AOC alternative mentioned by NCX).

To illustrate check www.tftcentral.co.uk's current response times chart:
The VA-type are noticeable for their 'lowest' often reaching the right-end of the chart.
23ljeix.png

Last edited:
How does A-MVA (MVA) compare to VA and IPS?

A-MVA panels have significantly deeper black levels and less glow than non-glow free AHVA/IPS/PLS and S-PVA panels, but suffer from gamma shift (colors wash out moving horizontally outward from the center), worse viewing angles (worse vs. S-PVA) and slower pixel response times (dark transitions smear vs. light streaking AHVA/IPS/PLS suffer from).

I was about to buy one of the Qnix's to replace my Dell 3011 but the review on here was less than stellar. Be interested to see your thoughts Solhokuten?

I missed the sale anyway (could've got brand new for 5 hundy AU) but figured one of the Benq's would be better anyway, provided I can pick it up less than the 800 AU asking price

If they could do a 32" 1440/1600P glossy, that'd be me.

A-MVA panels have significantly deeper black levels and less glow than non-glow free AHVA/IPS/PLS and S-PVA panels, but suffer from gamma shift (colors wash out moving horizontally outward from the center), worse viewing angles (worse vs. S-PVA) and slower pixel response times (dark transitions smear vs. light streaking AHVA/IPS/PLS suffer from).

I've been using VA screens for last 6 years and gamma shift is very exagerated issue and worse vieving angle is only academical advantage for someone who uses display normally.

I am in a similar position as the OP. I used to play at 1440p on a IPS 27" monitor. I try playing with a high quality 1080p HDTV and I was instantly hooked. At almost the same distance I used to play with my 27" monitor it really provides you with a way better immersion experience. Bigger than 32" might not cut it because you will have to sit farer away so the immersion feeling is gone. 32" for me is the sweet spot in close gaming.

I've been doing great with my 32" Samsung 6400 HDTV but I am always looking for ways to improve my experience.

MY WILDEST DREAM: No matter that cost, I would love a OLED 32" HDTV with 120hz...

I am tempted to take a look at these new 32" monitors at 1440p but my hope is that 32" become the new standard so the industry will focus on said size and give us OPTIONS and more OPTIONS.

Is there a list somewhere of all the current 32" 1440p displays out there right now, and their panel type?

No need for a list since there are only about three models on the market, all sharing the same VA panel as the BenQ BL3200PT, which is the most well-rounded of the three.

Again you won't see anything else in that category (32" 1440p) until a panel manufacturer actually starts producing an alternative.

Just curious. Is pixel response times and dark transitions the same thing?

Back