32 inch 1440p (2k) Monitors, why so few compared to 27s?

bsbllclown

Weaksauce
I'm not super well versed in monitor tech and or the reasons behind it...But it seems there aren't that many 32s compared to the amount of 27s. Why is that?

34" Ultra wides took over while there are alot of 27" monitors because Panel manufacturers from AUO optronics make 27" panels for the monitors.
I would like to try bigger then 27" for gaming but some games would scale really weird due to the size of 34" or bigger.

Why would they scale weird?
I have a 48" 4k screen and sure things look small, but it's not as bad as let's say 30" or below at 4k since it is a much larger screen.
A lot of games have UI sliders (most MMORPG's) and honestly I have yet to see any problems or weird scaling.
TV's are catching up to monitors. At least at 4k. I don't know of any TV's that run 1440p.

Some games have weird scaling, some don't scale at all, but most games don't have problems

It was initially one of my deal breakers for not going 4k for primary monitors. They generally tend to be older games, but sometimes it's erratic. For example, ME1 didn't scale, ME2 scaled, ME3 didn't scale.

One game I know off the top of my head that scaled weird is Red Alert 3. That game's text size relative to the screen actually INCREASES with higher resolution, making text at 4k take up the entire screen.

The ones I know off the top of my head that also didn't scale is Dragon Age: Origins, Civ V and Europa IV (the latter being, ironically, the games that could have an actual gameplay advantage running at high resolution rather than just simply eye candy). Even at 32" at normal sitting distance, the text on native 4k is borderline too small, let alone on smaller screens.

48" would be ok if you were able to look up close (since it's the same as 24" 1080p), but sometimes that isn't an option.

Some may see that as a good thing though, depending on your taste for diminutively small UI (some like it for immersion factor, I hate it because I can't see what I am doing).

Back