30th Birthday gift from my wife

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Took me to our local computer store and bought me a second 980TI as a 30th birthday gift. Needless to say, I'm super excited. With that being said, I currently have a 1080p monitor and am looking at going into 4k this fall, but first a few questions.

1.) Being completely serious, is 980TI SLI enough to run one 4K monitor at max settings?

2.) Is 4K worth the purchase or should I look into a 1440p monitor? Once again, I am only going with one monitor.

3.) Any particular monitors in the 4K or 1440p range to avoid or seriously consider?

I'd go 1440p 144 Hz before 4K.
But that's just me. :cool:

Funny you mention, i've been looking at 1440p 144hz, benq xl2730z, rog swift, and acer pred, all morning to see if i want to upgrade from my 1080p 120hz :D

I have x2 780 ti's though :( which I hope is still enough.

Happy B-day btw and what a wonderful wife!

Is 4K overrated or just not worth it at this point in time? Im curious as to why you guys are pro 2K when some of you clearly have the power for 4K.

Is 4K overrated or just not worth it at this point in time? Im curious as to why you guys are pro 2K when some of you clearly have the power for 4K.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1853884

Seek this thread out and you shall learn the ways of the Samsung curved JS9000 4K force my young Padawan

lego-star-wars-the-padawan-menace-23_175194-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Some prefer more pixels, some prefer higher refresh rates. I think the best thing to do is to try to find a way to experience the monitors in person before buying.

I was on 1080p for a few years before finally moving to 1440p (Acer XB270HU), and I can tell you it's really not an earth-shattering upgrade. Yes I do notice some improvement in visual fidelity, but it's not the "omg my eyes just popped out of my head" kind.

That said, 60Hz to 144Hz (or 120Hz) will definitely be a very noticeable improvement, and this goes beyond gaming. Even mundane stuff like moving the mouse cursor or dragging menus around will appear a lot smoother.

If you're getting a smaller screen go with 1440p. If you want 4k do it so you can get a large curved screen.

Some prefer more pixels, some prefer higher refresh rates. I think the best thing to do is to try to find a way to experience the monitors in person before buying.

I was on 1080p for a few years before finally moving to 1440p (Acer XB270HU), and I can tell you it's really not an earth-shattering upgrade. Yes I do notice some improvement in visual fidelity, but it's not the "omg my eyes just popped out of my head" kind.

That said, 60Hz to 144Hz (or 120Hz) will definitely be a very noticeable improvement, and this goes beyond gaming. Even mundane stuff like moving the mouse cursor or dragging menus around will appear a lot smoother.

I had a very different experience. When I adopted 1440P years ago (before many people even considered upgrading) I went with one of the best rated monitors at the time. I did experience jaw dropping moments. But I did go from a low end TN panel to a high end IPS panel. For me the difference in real estate was night and day,

I now have (3) 1440P monitors and 2 spare 1080P monitors. When I use the spares, I can tell the difference, and I feel cramped. Just my .02

I had a very different experience. When I adopted 1440P years ago (before many people even considered upgrading) I went with one of the best rated monitors at the time. I did experience jaw dropping moments. But I did go from a low end TN panel to a high end IPS panel. For me the difference in real estate was night and day,

I now have (3) 1440P monitors and 2 spare 1080P monitors. When I use the spares, I can tell the difference, and I feel cramped. Just my .02

I definitely agree. I'm running 1440p. Anytime I sit at a PC with 1080p it definitely feels cramped. The difference in screen real estate is absolutely night and day.

That said, I've played around on some 4k screens and the increased screen real estate on that is extraordinary. To OP go with a large 4k curved man.

I'd go 1440p 144 Hz before 4K.
But that's just me. :cool:

I went back to 1440p from 2180p, and I've regretted it ten times over. The only reason I'm not going back immediately to 4K is that I can't possibly justify replacing my monitor a third time in such a short time span, to the family.
Most games become CPU limited over 60 fps anyway. And many won't even go over 60 due to frame caps. Others outright refuse to use any other refresh rate than 60. So this 144hz monitor good as it is when it works seems wasted.
On the other hand every game can be run in 4K resolution without problems. And the difference is huge. It's 4x resolution compared to 1080p. It's comparable to when we went from 320x200 to 640x480, the visuals are that shocking.

I definitely agree. I'm running 1440p. Anytime I sit at a PC with 1080p it definitely feels cramped. The difference in screen real estate is absolutely night and day.

That said, I've played around on some 4k screens and the increased screen real estate on that is extraordinary. To OP go with a large 4k curved man.

Screen real estate difference was readily visible of course, but I didn't really have any jaw dropping moments when it came to IQ/visual fidelity. Well I guess the closest I had was marveling at how sharp some of the high res photos became, but that's it.

I also went from TN to IPS, and that made a bigger difference in all honesty.

The pixel density of 24" 1080p vs. 27" 1440p vs. 42" 4K is actually pretty close to the same. So from a ppi perspective you're not going to find anything like what we have in phones, tablets, MacBooks, etc. But that's something completely different than resolution, of course. I'm just throwing that out there for discussion.

But then the question about 4K becomes: would the display be too large for your viewing distance?

The pixel density of 24" 1080p vs. 27" 1440p vs. 42" 4K is actually pretty close to the same. So from a ppi perspective you're not going to find anything like what we have in phones, tablets, MacBooks, etc. But that's something completely different than resolution, of course. I'm just throwing that out there for discussion.

But then the question about 4K becomes: would the display be too large for your viewing distance?

Great point. I calculated the PPI's of various screens a while back:

24" 1080p: 91.79
27" 1440p: 108.79
32" 4K: 137.68

Now here's the real kicker -- I have a 17.3" 1080p laptop, and do you know what its PPI was?

Yes, a 17.3" 1080p laptop screen only has about 8% less PPI compared to a 32" 4K panel. :eek:

You guys got suckered by the tech talk, no one asked for pics. Not that I care, just an observation :)

You guys got suckered by the tech talk, no one asked for pics. Not that I care, just an observation :)

Lmao....imma just follow you to troll with "no pics, no proof" for everything you say. ;)

But yes of course tech talk, its a tech website and he is happy to get a second 980ti approved by the wife and wants to move forward w/ more upgrades to push his cards!

I would buy 4k when 100 hz or higher is possible. I looked at 60 hz 4k displays and the motion blur on them is terrible. I am on 1080p 144 hz screen and am very happy playing 4k using dsr instead.

I would do either 1440p 144Hz or a 3440x1440 curved 34". I personally went with the curved route. 144Hz or 34" gives you more immersion IMO. 4k.... just doesn't do it for me.

The 34 inch 144Hz 1440p Ultrawide screens are just about tip-top for gaming. a 40 inch 4K screen is about tip-top for single-screen productivity.

I'm considering three 1440p monitors for surround, rather than 4k.

I'm not sold yet on the whole curve screen thing.

1440p 144Hz is a lot more fun than 4k @ 60Hz. Just sayin'.

Could not disagree more. Our own [H] leader Kyle when with a 48" Samsung JS9000 4K for a reason. Well more like 3

SIZE - 48" is AMAZING

Resolution - you get a lot more room for productivity

COLORS - The colors on the Samsung are just incredible. I have no idea how anyone can game on a TN panel

Could not disagree more. Our own [H] leader Kyle when with a 48" Samsung JS9000 4K for a reason. Well more like 3

SIZE - 48" is AMAZING

Resolution - you get a lot more room for productivity

COLORS - The colors on the Samsung are just incredible. I have no idea how anyone can game on a TN panel

I really enjoy 144hz gaming. But I also really enjoy having tons of desktop space. At the moment, having 3x 144Hz 1440p screens in just about the only option to have both. you can have one dominant 144hs screen and have two smaller screens, and that would be a cheaper solution, but it would only allow extra productivity, not extra gaming potential beyond the centre screen. Some slower paced games (like GTA) don't really enjoy the added benefits of 100+ hz as much as faster paced games like UT or CS GO. So its really up to the gamer.

bandwidth, wise: 4K 60 and 1440p 144 are identical. They both convey the same amount of info to the end user. it just depends if you want the added fluidity and motion smoothness, or do you want the extra desktop space and detail?

1440p 144hz ips or bust

I agree. 144Hz is what you want if you game. 60Hz and 4k is great for general use no doubt, but the lack of the extra Hz makes for a slightly lacking gaming experience considering the amount of $$$ spent. While 4k is extra-sharp, 1440P certainly isn't lacking in sharpness by any means. Sitting relatively close, a 27" 1440P screen takes up a lot of vision and doesn't feel small.

Furthermore, 4k doesn't really scale well with performance. Every time a new demanding game comes out, you're either going to be turning down your settings or going to the store to buy more hardware parts. Really just living in a realm of diminishing returns. But that's a realm that many enthusiasts will always wish to occupy.

I agree. 144Hz is what you want if you game. 60Hz and 4k is great for general use no doubt, but the lack of the extra Hz makes for a slightly lacking gaming experience considering the amount of $$$ spent. While 4k is extra-sharp, 1440P certainly isn't lacking in sharpness by any means. Sitting relatively close, a 27" 1440P screen takes up a lot of vision and doesn't feel small.

Furthermore, 4k doesn't really scale well with performance. Every time a new demanding game comes out, you're either going to be turning down your settings or going to the store to buy more hardware parts. Really just living in a realm of diminishing returns. But that's a realm that many enthusiasts will always wish to occupy.

This is why I asked if my hardware would support it. I am running 980TI in SLI. If that isnt enough for one 4K monitor, then I don't want 4K quite frankly.

So I guess nobody here require real estate for desktop use? You all use your computer to only play games? No Photoshop or programming?

So I guess nobody here require real estate for desktop use? You all use your computer to only play games? No Photoshop or programming?

Let me offer you this counter-point. Not every one of us who works with and plays with computers has retinas of steel.

Lots of us have sensitive eyeballs, and we can only take so many hours of the day having these light bulbs shining into them. Every time you increase the SIZE of the display (but you're light-sensitive), you're going to have to either:

(1) Sit further away, making the increased desktop space useless. Or
(2) Turn down the backlight, reducing the color vibrancy of your fancy new display.

I have these sensitive eyes. I have my brightness cranked down low, and prefer websites like [H] because of the awesome low-light color scheme.

You couldn't pay me to use a 27" monitor. When I upgraded to a 23" 1080p, I had to set the brightness to 8 for normal reading. My television is large (46"), but it's about the same viewing area at the 8 foot distance I use.

Last edited:
With 27-32" or so, I would say 1440p is perfect. I probably wouldn't go 4k unless you had something like a 40" screen.

Can a 4K 60Hz display be run at 1440p 144Hz?

Probably a rhetorical question - but there are 4K displays that can do 1080p at 120hz right? Of course if the size is big, then it will probably look like pixelated dog shite.

Probably a rhetorical question - but there are 4K displays that can do 1080p at 120hz right? Of course if the size is big, then it will probably look like pixelated dog shite.

oof. definitely don't want pixelated dog shit.

Back