3008WFP - Power Supply Replacement/Repair?

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
A friend of mine was just given a 3008WFP with a busted power supply (apparently a common issue?). Anyone had experience repairing one of these monitors?

This has happened to a lot of people including me, as one of the diodes used in the power supply is not up to snuff and will invariably fail. Replacing the power supply (if you could even find one - which no one can seem to) would only mean the same thing happens again when the diode in the new psu fails.

There is some good news though!

Good news is that with some patience (getting this thing open is NOT easy, in fact probably the most irritating hour I have ever spent) and a £2 replacement diode (higher specced than the one that failed) and basic soldering skills you can get your screen up and running again yourself.

I have this very evening fixed my own 3008 and am so happy to have my screen back after dell told me in effect to bin a screen that I paid nearly a grand for, that I thought I should see if I can help anyone else with the same problem.

Place to start is this badcaps forum thread which is what I used to fix my screen:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14195

There is a LOT of info there, I recommend joining so that you can view the pictures people have posted which will help immensely.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself (it's not hard if you're decent with a soldering iron, but there are some bits that are bloody fiddly) then order the component and take it to a trusted repair person - should be very straightforward for them.

Hope this helps.

Ixna on the ixfa Bratman

I was going to make a mint buying broken ones on Ebay

Back