3007WFP: Crappy colour gradients

offtone

Limp Gawd
I've noticed that my 3007 is doing a piss-poor job of displaying gradients. The transition from one colour to the next is really... Rough? From black to white, I see very obvious stepping between the shades of grey. Mostly on the darker end, but still very visible along the entire gradient.

Now, I was told this monitor was 8-bit... So if that's true, what's the deal with my colours? If it's 6-bit, I guess I'd have to live with it. But still... It's really ugly.

So is this thing 6-bit? Or is there something weird going on?

I have a 7800GTX, if that makes a difference at all.

it's definitely an 8 bit monitor, and is based on an S-IPS panel from LG.Philips. There is a LOT of fuss about 6 bit vs 8 bit on these forums, don;t worry too much about them. If you're experiencing some unwanted gradients then I would suggest perhaps trying to configure the display / graphics card a little more, perhaps with a calibration tool like this monitor calibration wizard. hth

My 3007 renders pretty good gradients, only the very, very slightest banding. I'm not sure what could be casuing your problem. Without being at all patronising - you have made sure you're running windows in 32-bit, not 16-bit colour depth, right?

Ok... I seem to have fixed it (mostly).

I've adjusted the gamma slider in my display properties (the Nvidia thing) to 1.00 (was 0.89) and my gradients smoothed right up. Bizarre, because I'd been messing with those sliders before in an attempt to fix this same issue, but to no avail.

Meh. I just clicked "apply" and slowly backed away. It's good now.

I have a feeling it's a conflict between Adobe Gamma and the video drivers; they're fighting over who decides what colours should look like or something.

you should only change the gamma in either adobe or the nvidia driver NOT BOTH otherwise your going to end up with an unknown gamma level.

Back