3000+ or 3200+ Venice core?

Next week when I get back from vacation (Nags Head, NC!) I am upgrading to socket939 finally, and I need to know which CPU is a better buy. My friend is selling me his Abit AV8 for $70(at that price point I won't complain), which leaves me to decide on the CPU. Should I spend the extra ~50 to get the higher multiplier and stock speed or will the 3000+'s multi of 9 be enough for when I OC? I will most likely get an aftermarket cooler for it a little later after it maxes out on the stock cooler.

Get the 3200+. The Abit AV8 uses the VIA K8T800 chipset, which isn't really a super choice for oc'ing. That way, you'll still at least have a little bit higher base speed than the 3000+ if the mobo is finnicky.

darc said:
Get the 3200, 10 multi is nice to have..

Not really necissary though with all the dividers available to A64 users. You could run 183,166,150,133,120,100 dividers to get similar results. Although, if you are trying tio dial in that extra 10-40mhz on the core then go ahead and spend an extra $50 on the proc...

Most 3200 and 3000 hit about the same max speed for Rev E procs...

I'd say the 3200+, only because who knows what kind of HTT the VIA chipset will get. It might not hit 300+, which would be a crappy reason to slow down a CPU overclock. A 10x should let you hit at least ~2.7ghz, even with a lower HTT of 270.

With that mob, I agree on the 3200+. With a DFI however, I'd say get a 3000+ for $120 at www.ewiz.com (you'll need a heatsink.)

I agree wtih the 3200+ over teh 3000+. With the 10 mult and the higher stock speed, it will go better with your chipset.

why the 3000+ over the 3200+ w/ a DFI motherboard? will the 3k+ oc better than the 3200+ w/ a good oc'ing motherboard? im kinda noob to the whole oc'ing thing, but i always thought if the 3000+ can oc this much, then the 3200+ can oc that much too, and since 3200 starts faster then it ends faster, but im pretty sure that point of view is wrong now...

3200+'s just easier to overclock. DFI gives you more options than you'll know what to do with, so it's got an easier time than most of getting the 3000+ up to top speeds.

I'd go with the DFI DAGF + Venice 3000. It won't be much more than your friend's VIA board, and it will work much better.

Yeah I mean I don't have stellar Overclocking RAM right now as it's max is around 240mhz, but I still can push my 3000+ max speed to 2.8ghz just by using a 133 or 150 divider on the memory...

J-Mag said:
Not really necissary though with all the dividers available to A64 users. You could run 183,166,150,133,120,100 dividers to get similar results. Although, if you are trying tio dial in that extra 10-40mhz on the core then go ahead and spend an extra $50 on the proc...
it is imporant to have a high cpu multi for boards that can't hit high mhz like many of the via based boards ;)

Mmmk thanks for the advice, I'll get the 3200+

Finally got back from Nag's Head, NC so I can post once more! :D

I think I would pass on that av8 board.With whichever cpu you get, you'd hate to wonder "what if I had just spent a few more $'s and gotten a much better mb" , could I oc this thing much more?

I'm sure there's a reason why your friend is selling you that abit board, $20 says because it's a via chipset, and he wants something better. :D

No, the reason he is selling is because he got a S939 shuttle for Quakecon, I am buying it from him to help him out with funding him, and I need to upgrade to S939 and be done with it. I will upgrade my motherboard when I go to PCI-E. OCed or not, it's a helluva lot faster than my AXP I have now.

I have nearly the exact same setup as you (A8V Deluxe and Winchester core 3000+) and I was able to overclock it to 2.4 Ghz but could not keep it stable in windows, I finallly settled on 2.26Ghz and it runs like a champ.

~Novensu

Back