3000+ or 3.2 GHz P4?

shooby

n00b
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
10
I'm about to head out to the store, but I'm still in a dilemma. Should I buy P4 3.2 GH with HT, 800 MHz FSB, and 1 MB cache? Or Athlon 64 3000+? I do average computing (ripping CD's, web designing, and homework), and a little bit of gaming (warcraft 3, Counter-Strike, and Gunbound). I have a 450 watt power supply, and Nvidia FX5500 video card. Please help me out!

Thanks
 
I personally wouldnt spend so much on a processor. I would rather get a good socket A dual channel capable mobo, get a 400 FSB barton proc, and a pair of low latency ( 2-2-2-5-1) kingston high end DIMMs. oh and a 36GB raptor for OS, with a 160GB or bigger second drive for data files. proc speed isnt as important as one may think, for most things, but RAM timings, and FSB speed, and RAM <--> CPU <--> Video throughput and Video speed is.
 
The only reason I'm looking for a new processor is because I fried it with static by accident. I got myself 768 MB of PC2700 RAM and a case and everything. I'm just looking for a new processor and mobo.

And By the way, I will probably be using this till August of 2005 when I purchase a powerbook
 
I would personally go with the A64 and an Nforce3 board.

If you go the P4 route, you may need an adapter for that special P4 power connector (if your PSU doesn't already have it). You might need it on an AMD board as well.
 
Back
Top