30" LCD TV @ 1024x768 as computer monitor?

Leright

2[H]4U
I am considering getting the Dell 30" display as my computer monitor. However, I am afraid that a monitor of such low resolution and such large size would be a poor computer display option. I would be sitting about 3 feet from the display. I was simply considering this as an option, as stupid and outrageous as it may seem. Will the image be far too grainy to be an acceptabe computer monitor for office applications?

The reason I am considering it is for gaming capability, but if the office application sacrifice is too much for it to be worth it, then I won't do it.

What do you think?

also, I read that some of these LCD TVs that have DVI inputs can go much higher with the resolutions...like 1920x1200...is this true?

Too low a resolution man.

I would sincerely suggest either the 2405 or the 26" lcd (atleast it has higher reso than the 30"). However, if you really think about it, the 2405 gives you much more desktop space and has the composite and svideo inputs to keep you happy if you ever need to attach any consoles to it.

Dont be afraid of the higher reso, think of it this way - you're future-proofing yourself with the 2405. Next year, when videocards become better and the current batch becomes cheap, you can get a card that will easily run games at the 1920x1200 reso.

If you go with an lcd tv just for the sake of gaming on a lower reso, by this time next year, you'll be kicking yourself since you would have easy (meaning cheap) access to a videocard that can run at a higher reso but you shot yourself in the foot by buying the lcd tv which can run at max of 1024x768.

Think of the future more than just the present.

I was in your position a few months ago.... and a few months later, I decided on the 2405 and I havent looked back.

hmm dont forget that games get more demanding too. you are going to be losing alot of money on video card upgrading just trying to make newest games playable at 1920x1080.

I am considering getting the Dell 30" display as my computer monitor. However, I am afraid that a monitor of such low resolution and such large size would be a poor computer display option. I would be sitting about 3 feet from the display. I was simply considering this as an option, as stupid and outrageous as it may seem. Will the image be far too grainy to be an acceptabe computer monitor for office applications?

I have an Acer AL2671W 26 inch widescreen Lcd Tv . I use it daily as a monitor , and its very easy to adjust to the lower resolution ( 1280X768 ) . I have it hooked up with a Dvi interface , and the text is crystal clear . I was concerned about the lower resolution ( I had a Samsung 213T ) , but I am very happy . Just remember to sit a fair bit away from the screen ---------- 3 feet would be just fine .

Back