30" Display

vengence

Level capped
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
18,469
haven't been keeping up with 30" monitors. I'm thinking about getting a new 30" monitor sometime in the next 6ish months. I'm looking for something with wide gammat, deep blacks, and low input lag. I currently own a 245BW, and while I love the low input lag, and the decent black levels, I'm looking to move from the 19x12, to the 2560x1600.

Yes, I know the 245BW is a TN pannel, however at the time I chose it primariliy because of the input lag. I use to play a lot more first person shooters than I do now. Now it's a few MMOs, and non-twitch shooters, mixed with the standard arrangement of web browsing and other crap. I never watch movies on it (I have a 50" LN52B750 for that) I think I'm willing to give up some input lag for wide gammot and a larger screen size.

Where do I start my search? It's been years since I've looked at this stuff. I guess what I'm really looking for, is what are the top 3 or 4 models I should concentrate on if I'm looking to minimize input lag and get a quality screen.
 
Do you have a budget? Have you considered 2560x1440 monitors?
 
I don't really have a budget. The question is more of, what will it cost to get me what I want and then I'll figure out if that's worth it. I'm guessing I'm going to be in the ball park of 1600$, but like I said, I have been out of the loop for a while.

As far as the 2560x1440, I really want the extra height. Unless there is some really insane price difference like they're half as much for the same quality, I'll want to stay in the 16:10 format.
 
The most popular models around here seems to be the HP ZR30 and the NEC PA301W (PROUD OWNER).

NEC have the best support and best warranty but they cost a bit more than other brands. Plus their 30 inch panels have tons of custom NEC technology that makes it stand out such as colorcomp, color and luminance stability, 14 bit LUT with native 10 bit panel.
 
Ok reading through the
Judging off anandtech's review at least the first pass through it looks like I might have to start with the HP ZR30 based on input lag alone. Lots of reading to do tonight :) On the other hand, all of these numbers are a lot lower than the last time I looked at displays.
35650.png
 
Research before such a big purchase is definitely recommended :)

If you do lean toward the ZR30w it is a lot less expensive than the NEC.
 
Research before such a big purchase is definitely recommended :)

If you do lean toward the ZR30w it is a lot less expensive than the NEC.
Yeah, that was one of the other things. I'm pretty sure i'm not so nit picky I'd rather have 2 ZR30ws than 1 NEC unless there's something I'm immeditately missing, but lots of reading to do.

It has lower lag than the NEC too!
Yeah.
 
do a thread search on a bunch of them if you can.
..
.. Almost all of the 2560x display panels of the current generation have an over-aggressive AG coating that some people can't stand (and have even returned their monitor due to) .. this might not bother you but its something you should be aware of and look up in your research before you buy. .. there is a newer Samsung 27" out I think though, and I'm not sure about the NEC models' AG..
...
...Black levels on ips (and tn for that matter) aren't going to be anywhere near what a pva panel LCD tv can do, just fyi. If I was going to watch HD movies, etc.. I'd just throw a 32" pva tv into the mix just for that.
...
..Input lag should be under 16ms, which rules out displays that have a scaler pretty much.
..
.. Just fyi, LG is going to release some "Quad full HD" panels in the next year (or two).. so depending how long you can wait, you could possibly have a 3840x2160 27" 16:9 option eventually that could swallow current 16:10 resolutions whole ... :p
..
.. "block of four 1080p resolutions ~ Quad Full HD 3840x2160"
..
.. 2560 vs 3840 ~> +640 px left , +640px right.. (+1280 wider)
...1600 vs 2160 ~> +280 px top, +280px bottom (+560 taller)
...1440 vs 2160 ~> +360 px top , +360px bottom (+720 taller)
 
Did Anandtech ever measure the input lag of the older 3008WFP and Apple Cinema Display 30" displays?
 
Even if its a year away, he should at least enjoy 2560x1600 now. Plus, 3840x2160 is gonna take a lot more GPU power!
 
Well he said he wanted to purchase in the next 6-ish months - not exactly "now".. and was being stubborn about the 160px (+80px top / +80px bottom) difference between x1600 and x1440 so I wanted him to be informed about what might be coming out - perhaps sooner than expected - , and with a much more considerable desktop real-esatate (amount of pixels) and pixel density.
..
.. Get as informed as you can before you buy imo.. there are plenty of threads about these panels you should already be reading.. even some newer ones in the past 3 days :rolleyes:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1623080
 
Well he said he wanted to purchase in the next 6-ish months - not exactly "now".. and was being stubborn about the 160px (+80px top / +80px bottom) difference between x1600 and x1440 so I wanted him to be informed about what might be coming out - perhaps sooner than expected - , and with a much more considerable desktop real-esatate (amount of pixels) and pixel density.
..
.. Get as informed as you can before you buy imo.. there are plenty of threads about these panels you should already be reading.. even some newer ones in the past 3 days :rolleyes:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1623080

I'm not sure if that eye roll is meant at me or what. The thread you linked I had already subbed to read when I got home an hour or so before your post.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037557102&postcount=86

I'm looking for what models to start my search on. Not for someone else to do my work for me.
 
do a thread search on a bunch of them if you can.
..
.. Almost all of the 2560x display panels of the current generation have an over-aggressive AG coating that some people can't stand (and have even returned their monitor due to) .. this might not bother you but its something you should be aware of and look up in your research before you buy. .. there is a newer Samsung 27" out I think though, and I'm not sure about the NEC models' AG..
...
...Black levels on ips (and tn for that matter) aren't going to be anywhere near what a pva panel LCD tv can do, just fyi. If I was going to watch HD movies, etc.. I'd just throw a 32" pva tv into the mix just for that.
...
..Input lag should be under 16ms, which rules out displays that have a scaler pretty much.
..
.. Just fyi, LG is going to release some "Quad full HD" panels in the next year (or two).. so depending how long you can wait, you could possibly have a 3840x2160 27" 16:9 option eventually that could swallow current 16:10 resolutions whole ... :p
..
.. "block of four 1080p resolutions ~ Quad Full HD 3840x2160"
..
.. 2560 vs 3840 ~> +640 px left , +640px right.. (+1280 wider)
...1600 vs 2160 ~> +280 px top, +280px bottom (+560 taller)
...1440 vs 2160 ~> +360 px top , +360px bottom (+720 taller)

a year or two is a good bit too long to wait. I'm looking at this xmas/ Q1 of next year time frame. Mostly to correspond with the new graphics card releases.
 
Well after more reading it sounds like there's a clear choice of a ZR30W unless I want to spend mega bucks. This was waaay easier than I thought it would be on wading through monitors.
 
Well if you were looking at 24" or a similar size, yeah it would be bit harder. But there are so few modern 30" monitors, its easy to make a choice.
 
Well if you were looking at 24" or a similar size, yeah it would be bit harder. But there are so few modern 30" monitors, its easy to make a choice.

I remember doing a lot of research on my 24" before settling on this one based on price and input lag. The list is rather short on 30s.

I will say, I didn't realize how much fanboyism there is over monitors. Holy shit man... Perhaps I knew and I forgot, I dunno.
 
Back
Top