30" Display choices?

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey everyone, I have done some searching but I am hoping that your collective knowledge will yield anything I missed.

I am on the hunt for a new LCD, as someone has offered me a good price on the flawed one I currently use. I am mainly looking at Dell units based on perceived reliability and value. Here is my list so far-

3007WFP
3007WFP-HC
3008WFP
U3011

I believe the Apple display will be too expensive, or at least the same price as the Dell. Since the Dell units (all?) have the card reader, I would prefer one of those. I actually use the card reader on mine, all the time.

My question- does anyone have any other recommendations (or know of any Dell models I have missed)?

I need:
2560x1600
30"
A nice (comparable to 3007WFP) stand

My 3007WFP is fast enough for the minimal SC2 play I do, so I am not as concerned with refresh that much, as long as it is 12ms>.

Using a U3011 here myself and very happy. The other screen in this grouping that I hear tossed around a fair bit is the HP ZR30W - haven't gotten to see one in person though, but many people use it I believe.

-slight hijack of thread-

is there a 30 inch that can be used to play games yet still look great when watching movies etc on it? and not that expensive? :)

so many new 27 inch montiors coming out but rather just get a 30

thanks for the lead on the ZR30W, I'll go poke around and see if it meets my needs.

To Dulak- Any 30" will be expensive compared to 27" TN panels. I play SC2 on my 3007WFP (11ms G2G response) and its fine. Hardcore gamers might disagree, but I game very little.

For reference, I have people banging down my door for this 3007WFP at $650, while you can get a nice 1080P 32" TV for around $300. The TV will probably be faster, and look fine for movies.

If you can find the 3008WP it is by far the best one out of that bunch. The u3011 has a thick antiglare coating that bothers many (it is far too thick, and makes images with a white background "grainy", and AFAIK the 3008WP has a light AG coating.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. looks like the 08 will be cheaper too

I'll go check out the spec sheet comparison (I believe they both have scalers, right?)

I've had the 3008 for three years and am very pleased with its performance in games, everyday PC work. It does an excellent job as an HDTV, too. If I were buying a 30" today, however, I'd probably go with the U3011. It, along with the ZR30w, has the more advanced IPS panel, plus the 3008/07 both are pretty old technology. Not saying there has been a huge advance in 30" monitor technology, but for the expense I'd just rather get the newest model.

The ZR30w is supposed to be an excellent monitor, too. I just have a lot more experience with Dell monitors. Their customer service and monitor warranties are quite good.

The scalars in the U3011 and 3008 only kick in when running resolutions other than the native 2560x1600.

The scalars in the U3011 and 3008 only kick in when running resolutions other than the native 2560x1600.

This is excellent to know, I have been doing a bunch of reading and have not yet come across this bit of information.

Also, a question about the u3011- Does it have a card reader? Looking online, I have found pictures of what looks to be a 3011 with a card reader, but have found spec sheets that conflict with this info. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I know it should not be a big deal on a $1k monitor, but to me it kind of is.

Here's a pic of my 3008 running full 1080p for HDTV.

IMG_20120108_175943.jpg

3011 does have a SD card reader. Running one right now on my current setup.

Last edited:
Yeah the 3008 looks a lot nicer than my 3007wfp in general, and it would be nice to have a scaler (tho I don't know that I would ever actually use it...only connects to my PC for now).

Thanks for the clarification on the 3011- I am thinking I want to stay with a Dell so its between the 08 and the 11 right now. Guy just took the 07 I had last night for $650, so I'm off to hunt for a deal.

Using my sweet 1800FP Ultrasharp in the meantime....geez I need to find a replacement soon, lol.

Check the Dell Outlet store. They occassionally have u3011 there. I picked one up last year for $899. Very nice monitor.

That seems logical, but I wonder if it happens. I owned three U3011's and felt intense delay whether I was at 1600p, 1080p, or 720p. If that's the case, then perhaps it's the OSD functions that bothered me.

Adding in another vote for the U3011. I picked one up barely used from here on the FS forums (thanks picool!).

Loving it so far, 2560x1600 is an unreal. I don't notice any delay at all and I have played skyrim / diablo3 beta / SWTOR so far on it for long stints. I came from 2x LG 22" 1680x1050 monitors. I find myself missing the 2nd monitor for web browsing / chat and all that while gaming on the main screen. Picking up a 2007FP as soon as I can.

You won't regret any of the 30" purchases at that res. I fought with myself between the zr30w / u3011 or 2x u2711's and at the end of the day, super happy i got the U3011. Price is what was the deciding factor for me.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Yeah I have been keeping an eye on the outlet store, nothing right now.

I agreed 1600P is where its at!

I dont need a 2nd lcd tho...

Arg...just lost an auction for a U3011 by $5 in the last 3 seconds

i would set up deal alerts for all the monitors you are interested in. I just so happened to look at the for sale section here and found a guy selling one literally brand new (only used 3 months) for $900 shipped, 1 dead pixel you cant even notice and no real problems with bluing on the screen that most people have. slightly darker on the left, but really not noticeable at all. I picked up a spyder 3 pro off amazon to calibrate it and i am in heaven.

2nd monitor comes from just workflow for photography and using web / chat while gaming... so used to it!

Yeah I can see how that would be useful, definitely not arguing. Since I don't get paid to work on my computer or anything though, I just can't justify the cost to myself.

I think I have a refurb on the line with perfect screen for $935, so I may be biting on a 3011- fingers crossed!

Good luck, I doubt you'll regret it - it's a great screen. Also, small world, I spent several years in your neck of the woods =)

Hey everyone, I have done some searching but I am hoping that your collective knowledge will yield anything I missed.

I am on the hunt for a new LCD, as someone has offered me a good price on the flawed one I currently use. I am mainly looking at Dell units based on perceived reliability and value. Here is my list so far-

3007WFP
3007WFP-HC
3008WFP
U3011

I believe the Apple display will be too expensive, or at least the same price as the Dell. Since the Dell units (all?) have the card reader, I would prefer one of those. I actually use the card reader on mine, all the time.

My question- does anyone have any other recommendations (or know of any Dell models I have missed)?

I need:
2560x1600
30"
A nice (comparable to 3007WFP) stand

My 3007WFP is fast enough for the minimal SC2 play I do, so I am not as concerned with refresh that much, as long as it is 12ms>.

I love my HP ZR30w! Give that a shot. Also using the displayport not the DVI for this monitor :)

3007 WFP-HC, one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. Improvement on the 3007 WFP but no nasty lag like the successors so overall best Dell 30" that I'm aware of, as long as you're happy with a single DL-DVI in, and can find one somewhere.

I use 3 x 3007wfp-hc's. Love them. There's no lag that detectable and they have card readers. I love them, but I am looking for a 08 as well for some xbox action as well as eventually going 5x1 portrait.

Thanks for all the insights guys.

Picked up a mint U3011 for $910.

Thanks for all the insights guys.

Picked up a mint U3011 for $910.

Nice man, where from? that's a great price! I need to find somewhere reputable to pickup another 2007FP IPS to match it on the side!

Some asset group. Only a few months of warranty, but my 3007WFP didn't have any and I was fine. I figure if it works for a few months at least, then I know there isn't anything immediately broken.

For your IPS panel, I'd throw a saved search on ebay- maybe a babied one will pop up that you can nab

Yeah i found a few for 135 shipped and they say no dead pixels or scuffs / marks on the screen but could be blemishes on the plastic.... we'll see. might pull the trigger. buying something "off lease" makes me get cold feet. Guess you gotta take a chance!

I've been thinking ordering one through Dell. I wonder how much negotiating they will do. I certainly don't want to pay their current price of $1,399.00.

It's been out long enough I would think that Dell could sell around that $999 mark. That'd be hot. I'd probably even bite at that point. I love my NEC 2490wuxi but wouldn't mind going to 30. I can't begin to justify the idea of buying an NEC pa30 because it's just too damned expensive and I'm not a "professional art/CAD" person, either.

So if I do this thing anytime soon it's either going to be Dell or HP.

I've been thinking ordering one through Dell. I wonder how much negotiating they will do. I certainly don't want to pay their current price of $1,399.00.

I tried at least once every day via chat or phone to get them to lower the price. This was even when dell.ca had the monitor for $999. They wouldn't budge at all, best they could do was $100 off at the $1399 price, which is what they end up selling it for anyways. I got to the point where I waited since October to get one and the prices held steady. I ended up finding out that the 3 year warranty is what jacks this thing up over I said screw it and somehow stumbled here and got lucky. Hope it works out for ya!

Last edited:
What's with Dell loving the Canucks and hating on their own countrymen? Dell's a bunch of hosers, eh.

haha...i don't get why/how they can sell it 400 bucks cheaper in CA and not the US. maybe they need to move stock up there.

For you guys buying U3011's new and wanting a 2nd monitor to match it perfect, the 2007FP is the monitor to get, its 4:3 ratio 1600 x 1200 res match up perfect (bezel/height as well). Found a guy on eBay selling them and called and spoke to him on the phone, he has a ton of them with L at the end of the S/N (IPS Version). Just picked one up, we'll see.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back