30 Days with Vista @ [H]

And patched it sloppily at that. Theres a number of reports of problems.
For instance, a big one is realtek HD audio. Majority of people with that are likely to have problems, unless they go directly to the realtek site and update. And even sadder is the fact that MS knew about this issue ahead of time (they posted a knowledge base article on it the same day they released the patch), and still released it in that state.

I also will wait to upgrade, until I see a dx10 game come out thats SIGNIFICANTLY differant than the same game under dx9, and even then I'll install vista only on a dual boot.

That sucks about the patch messing up the Realtek driver. I once updated Realtek (non-HD) drive that came w/ my Asus motherboard via MS' site, since it said an update was available. After doing so and rebooting, no sound came on. After troubleshooting for a while, I reinstalled the audio driver that came w/ the NVidia download from Asus' support site and it restored sound. So I don't think I'll bother with getting driver updates from MS again; I'll stick to getting it directly from the manufacturer.

It's not the first time MS has released patches that it knows had flaws and it won't certainly be the last time either. :mad:

You're defending a position that the author himself did not take. He calls Vista a lemon and unfit for ANYONE. This kind of absolute is at best ignorant and TROLL. I'm sure if someone started a thread in this forum calling Vista a lemon and unfit for anyone it would be labelled a Troll. There's no other word for it. Why should we chaulk it up to one user's experience (or inexperience :p ) when the author is not willing to do the same?

That's probably why Kyle wrote a note at the end to amend the author's original statement.

All I have to say about the article is: PEBKAC

Two for two, nothing but FUD.

Jason, Brian, Kyle: if you guys ever want someone who is genuinely into new experiences with operating systems and has generally had good experiences with the three biggest contenders (Mac OS, Linux, and Windows), feel free to give me a shout. I can put together a thorough article for you that is well-written, comprehensive, and most of all not biased (since I've had generally good experience with almost every OS I've tried, even MenuetOS).

I won't disparage the writers or the [H] over this. All I will say is that the article is not objective, does not apply critical thinking critique methods, and its conclusions are at best spurious (and at worst FUD). I disagree almost wholeheartedly with the whole thing, and not because I feel Vista lacks flaws (I could name three off the top of my head).

That is my opinion and my only response to the article.

quote me anytime, I don't mind. I look forward to reading the revisit to the article and I'm certain the results with Vista will be better that tme around.

Dustin

Thanks for all of your comments on the article, especially this one:

:D Yes, I know I ninja-snipped the hell out of that.

Anyway, back to business. We stated it in the introduction - some people have no problems with Vista, others have many. If you look at this thread, that observation is spot-on. We had problems - period. We had to judge the operating system based on our own cloistered experience, not take what we experienced then blend it with everyone else's thoughts. Our commitment to that approach did not come through clearly in the article, and that's my fault.

The criticism that we didn't trek down the same troubleshooting paths as we did in our Linux article is good feedback. Honestly, we really would have liked to have done that with Vista - I think we could have learned a hell of a lot about the OS that way. But the fact that we were trying to fix these problems in the first month that Vista was released, while Ubuntu already had a very well-established support community, helps explain things a bit.

The suggestion that we should revisit Vista at some point is an excellent thought, and is essentially necessitated by an article such as this one. It's hard to look at a calendar and point at a date that we should start testing again, but giving Vista another run will definitely be something we'll look into.

I've gotten a LOT of feedback from this article from all sorts of folks. The more interesting comments have been from system integrators, who were either surprised or incredulous about our findings. One said, "If we had all the problems you had, we'd be out of business." Others have written frantic emails wanting details on our problems because they're currently shipping similar configurations to customers.

As for OEM experiences, my company has no issues installing Vista on our machines that we sell. We get almost no complaints from customers (read: endusers) about them. The machines are stable. The OS is stable.

One of my complaints about both this article and a lot of the people who hate vista (besides the idiots who rant about it without trying it), is that they blame the OS for the problems caused by the hardware/software developers. Vista was not just dropped on the world. It was known, announced, available for testing for months if not years before its release. Hell, its release was even delayed. PUBLIC RC's were out for MONTHS before RTM. I blame the developers for not being ready for Vista. However, despite this, I have had NOTHING but good experiences with this OS, beta2 onward. I can see that there could be problems in some cases, but then, there can be problems with xpsp2 in some cases - caused by drivers and poorly written software, not inherent instability of the OS.

This is the worst article I've ever read on HardOCP. It should especially mean something to the authors that the majority of posters in this thread have had POSITIVE experiences, not negative. And that really says something, since usually 1 in 10 people talk about their good experiences, and 9 in 10 talk about their bad ones. I posted my three systems previously, and all are stable and reliable. Two are nvidia, one is ATi graphics, though all three are Intel CPU/chipset.

The section about Windows Media Player/VLC is a tad misinformed. WMP wasn't "upsampling", and VLC wasn't "just playing back".

WMP was using the hardware overlay. This serves to perform a bilinear filtering operation on the video in hardware, and has been done at least as long as we've had DirectShow. Well, actually, Win98 used the overlay. XP switched to using DirectDraw7 for this with a fallback to overlay, and I assume that Vista uses DX9.

WMP under Vista actually uses a completely new renderer referred to as Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR). Information on it is scant, however, so I don't know how it performs scaling. There are already some patches available to use the DirectShow filter in 3rd-party players like MPC.

You're defending a position that the author himself did not take. He calls Vista a lemon and unfit for ANYONE. This kind of absolute is at best ignorant and TROLL. I'm sure if someone started a thread in this forum calling Vista a lemon and unfit for anyone it would be labelled a Troll. There's no other word for it. Why should we chaulk it up to one user's experience (or inexperience :p ) when the author is not willing to do the same?

I couldn't agree more. I am using Vista since it is final and I am absolutely happy with it. Now on Vista x64 for some months and the ONLY problems I have are related to 3rd party drivers, like Realtek HD sound drivers being unstable after version 1.50 on my machine and the almost usual Nvidia driver problems. A review and conclusion like this throws [H] into the depths of incredibility where Tom's Hardware already is for a long time. A shame. If I was reponsible for [H]. I would get rid of the author for that ONE sentence alone. Not to mention all the other "bad" things he found which aren't really there or highly debateable.

Are you going to find another way to state the same thing?

I think it's an extremely reductionist view to blame all of the problems we had on NVIDIA. ATI is just now coming out with bona fide Vista drivers. At least NVIDIA was decent enough to throw some betas at us early on (undoubtedly from Kyle's probing of the issue). Even if we did have an ATI card in our system, there weren't any stable ATI drivers during the test period. Your comments make it seem like ATI wasn't having driver problems - not sure anything could be further from reality.

That said, NVIDIA was not "intentionally chosen" for the purposes of this article. Whakataruna has been Brian's computer for over a year. The Puget was initially built to test Linux.

True, it would have been a more complete experiment to test ATI hardware as well, but that would mean we would also have to test an AMD chip, different motherboard chipsets, RAM brands, sound cards, etc. We were looking at the overall performance of the operating system, not the performance of graphics solutions within the confines of an operating system.

On my first post I thought its was unintentional to chose nVedia. I thought otherwise after reading some of his other responses.

ATI had beta drivers since beta 2 and then RTM for ppl to tinker with and report bugs. During the same period everyone was wondering what nVedia was doing as they had nothing and it wasn't untill a months after was a leaked beta available.

Its nvidia not nVedia. You also don't have to capatalise the v.

I really did want to like Vista. Yes, it is possible to enjoy both Windows and Linux - but unfortunately this product is unfit for any user.
Do I not count as a user :confused:

I have the 8800GTX running on Vista 32 and I never had any problems, including BSOD. Drivers for Vista seem to updated at a furious level - I get new ones nearly every week! (automatically)

Initially I has quite surprised at the prematurity of drivers (2 weeks ago) but even in this short time things just keep getting better with Vista. I have disabled alot of the features to improve performance and things are running great - as fast as XP!

The issues that Jason experienced during the "30 Days of Vista" were nothing short of disheartening of course. I built my current PC with the full intention of moving to Vista sooner or later, but I have been waiting for Nvidia to work out their Vista driver issues on the 8800 series of cards before I jump fully on this machine.

Nunyabiz is also correct in that Jason was one of the few people that I'm aware of at this present time to have experienced the problems that were documented in the article. As was mentioned in the article, there are people whom have had no problems since upgrading to Vista and there are also people who have had nothing but. I would say evaluate your current system and needs before seriously considering the jump.

OK, so the guy shouldn't have labeled Vista as "a Lemon" and "unfit for any user"; that was a little drastic. But, had he not used those words, there would be much less of an uproar about this review. His reaction just shows how frustrated he became with trying to make it work. I can think of many times that I have wanted to shoot my computer after fighting with a problem.

He still raises some valid points, if he had this much trouble with 2 computers that ran WindowsXP and Ubuntu; perhaps Vista is not quite as "finished" as it should be. Obviously, these are issues that any common user might have problems with. Of course it makes sense that OEMs using Vista have less issues than an every day person would have installing Vista as an upgrade. Other than his use of those unfortunate terms, it was a fair review.

All you Vista flamers can rest assured! Your Vista flaming has been duly documented by those overseas zombies in the DBBCC, Dank Bangalore Borg Call Center. You know that place where American corporations go when they decide to outsource every possible job out of America, to squeeze every possible buck for themselves, while providing the worst possible product and service, dancing just shy of the point where Americans actually stop buying said product or service. Yes, your rants have been carefully noted down, as your eyes bulge, screaming explicative at the phone, keyboards, wife, dog and any other device capable of taking input of some kind. Moreover, my field sources (spies) tell me a special care package was recently expedited to the William Gates Residence; it contained an executive summary of the flames, for example:

“Vista is the worst operating system ever devised by any living organism in the universe.”

“Vista descends to a new low.”

What was the response?

According to my informants, Gates was heard mumbling, “the masses need more eye candy—must keep the Vista Ultimate product flowing—so let them download cake!”

Quickly, unlike the operating system in question, a new Vista Ultimate Extra “flames” DreamScene appears! Yes, you can now download and immerse yourself in a furnace, as you read (and possible participate) in all the Vista flame threads!

“…so let them download cake!”

I will agree with the article on a lot of the points.. I found vista bareable after I ran it past Vlite. I had a full install and it crashed a lot now that I got rid of most of the crap it works like a charm. I will have to admit that xp64 was MUCH more stable.

All you Vista flamers can rest assured! Your Vista flaming has been duly documented by those overseas zombies in the DBBCC, Dank Bangalore Borg Call Center. You know that place where American corporations go when they decide to outsource every possible job out of America, to squeeze every possible buck for themselves, while providing the worst possible product and service, dancing just shy of the point where Americans actually stop buying said product or service. Yes, your rants have been carefully noted down, as your eyes bulge, screaming explicative at the phone, keyboards, wife, dog and any other device capable of taking input of some kind. Moreover, my field sources (spies) tell me a special care package was recently expedited to the William Gates Residence; it contained an executive summary of the flames, for example:

“Vista is the worst operating system ever devised by any living organism in the universe.”

“Vista descends to a new low.”

What was the response?

According to my informants, Gates was heard mumbling, “the masses need more eye candy—must keep the Vista Ultimate product flowing—so let them download cake!”

Quickly, unlike the operating system in question, a new Vista Ultimate Extra “flames” DreamScene appears! Yes, you can now download and immerse yourself in a furnace, as you read (and possible participate) in all the Vista flame threads!

“…so let them download cake!”

Wow, for a few moments there - just a few - I thought this place had turned into /b/ on 4Chan... :D

I'm not so much a Linux user as I used to be (Vista @ work with OS X @ home, Linux now only in VMs); however, I remember steaming about the choice of 64-bit Linux, rather than the more stable, better tested 32-bit. Then you review Vista but choose to spend time with the 32-bit version to compare against your Linux experience. Sorry, you took yourself a notch down in credibility there.

Of course, you could very well have chosen 32-bit because you did try the 64 bit version and found it nearly unusable for the same reasons I did: driver incompatibility, software incompatibilities, and so much more. The good news is: there are a handful of software programs I use in development which do run under Vista and are fairly stable... just not as many as you would like.

I completely agree with your assessment that it tends to get in the way of power users far too often, but you'll adjust to the slightly lower productivity after a while. You'll do things a little differently and make up for some of the lost time. That's gotta be my biggest gripe about moving to Windows for work tasks... it seems like it constantly is working against me to prevent me from accomplishing all I can. The same holds true when I moved onto Office 2007.

Still, if you're a power user, I'd be interested in your 30-day use of OS X and see how it stays out of your way while you accomplish what you need to. It was enough that I used to bring my Mac mini to work to get the most accomplished. Again, I'm a software developer by trade, so perhaps your needs may not be met if you work within an all-Windows domain, but you may want to try it.

Kelly

His reaction just shows how frustrated he became with trying to make it work.

And that in itself shows that the author is incompetent. I am 37 years old, grew up with VC20/C64 and since than had my hands on almost everything that came out since then. And Vista is extremly easy to install and use. If you have problems there, you should go back to using a calculator at most ;)

Usually [H]ard puts out top notch material, but I don't feel this is their best work. The author was not fully objective in his evaluation, he seems to blame MS for things that they cannot possibly be held accountable for and some of his testing methods are lacking.

As many others have said his statement in the conclusion that Vista is "unfit for any user" is simply false, as the many satisfied customers in this thread are a testament to. This is unnecessary editorializing.

He loaded a bunch of software on the computer that was not written or intended to be compatible with Vista then blames MS for his ensuing instability issues. Granted, having very common software cause instability is a problem, and one that should be clearly noted in the review. But it is not MS's fault! It would be the equivalent of buying a 2007 Mustang, installing aftermarket brakes designed for a 2005 Mustang and then blaming Ford when they fail. MS cannot be held accountable for stuff that is the developers job!

Furthermore, when it was clear there were instability problems the thing to do would have been to start fresh with a clean install and load only the minimum software necessary to get some testing done, and make every effort to make sure it is Vista specific software. After you have done some testing with this configuration you could then load more software and continue with the real world review. I just think the testing methodology here was not fair to MS, I understand this was intended to be a real world test but you do a disservice to your readers by not fully troubleshooting the problems you were having. To me it seems pretty clear that if you've loaded a bunch of XP software and you're having problems the XP software needs to go, that is just common sense, but this author seems to have completely neglected that.

My own experience with Vista has been about what I expected, which is to say a few issues, but overall positive. I think it is a worthy upgrade to XP with some nice new features. My main problems have been a lack of drivers and software support, both of which have been steadily getting better, I think in a few months time they will be nonissues.

I installed Vista Business on my "Vista Compatible" Acer Aspire. Acer didn't get out Vista drivers until probably 2 months after Vista was released. In my mind if it says "Vista Compatible" it should be ready to go as soon as Vista is released, that means get the drivers out the day Vista comes out, not 2 months later. The only hardware issue I have now is with the built in webcam, which is still not working even with the Vista drivers installed. My main gripe with software is that there is no official Cisco VPN client for Vista yet and I was unable to get onto my campus network. I was finally able to locate a beta version of the Vista client that does work so that issue is largely resolved at this point. Other than those issues Vista has been working great, rock solid and reasonable performance. I like the readyboost feature, I had a spare 1 gig sd card laying around that I popped into my laptops' media reader to utilize with this feature and it has resulted in a noticeable boost in system response. I also like the sidebar, I know I know, apple invented this, but so what? it's a cool feature, MS has copied this and it's a benefit for all us Windows users. There are lots of little things that are cool, like how a preview window pops up when you mouse over items in the system tray. I do agree with the author that Flip 3d is largely a gimmick, I thought it was kind of cool at first but I find that I'm not using it at all now. UAC is kind of annoying, but I'm willing to leave it enabled for the security it provides. I'm annoyed by the picture and scanner wizard, on XP you can select which pictures you want to import to your computer, on Vista you have no such option, you can either import all of them or none. Considering I like to leave several hundred pictures on my camera this is a pain. It does a much better job of naming and organizing your photos though. MS seems to have removed options from a lot of Windows components in order to simplify and dumb things down for the masses. I wish they would make them available in an "advanced features" tab or something though.

I think a revisit of Vista in 6 months time would be a good idea, by that time hardware and software issues should be largely resolved.

First off, here - take this pair of asbestos shorts, hopefully I'm not too late!

I had much the same experience as the OP with Vista - I am thinking that as an upgrade we will need to wait for significant patching activity in order to curb the issues with Vista. from an upgrader's perspective Vista is not ready for prime time - more so than any other OS that I can think of.

However I have not been exposed to OEM installs on new machines. I'd like to see that data to make a more complete decision - after all I would expect the majors to test and fix the builds before sending them out to consumers.

A "detail" question the review. With WoW on my machine listed below, I noticed that while I could run WoW in a window and my TV tuner simultaneously, I noticed that while running WoW exclusively that my FPS were down considerably. Did you notice this at all (especially during times with lots of characters on the screen.

I'll agree here. Vista is not ready for prime time. The place where Microsoft failed is actually listening to their customers. No one wants more DRM rammed down their throat, up their butt and in their ears.

He loaded a bunch of software on the computer that was not written or intended to be compatible with Vista then blames MS for his ensuing instability issues. Granted, having very common software cause instability is a problem, and one that should be clearly noted in the review. But it is not MS's fault! It would be the equivalent of buying a 2007 Mustang, installing aftermarket brakes designed for a 2005 Mustang and then blaming Ford when they fail. MS cannot be held accountable for stuff that is the developers job!
Let's be clear. He doesn't blame Microsoft. He blames Vista.

Running software that runs on XP should run on Vista. Many people are going to be upset if a program they run on XP doesn't work on Vista. So, you got two choices. Wait for the program to be updated to run on Vista or stick with XP. It's just another indication that Vista isn't for everyone right now.

Let's be clear. He doesn't blame Microsoft. He blames Vista.

Is there a difference? If you blame Vista you are in effect blaming MS.

Running software that runs on XP should run on Vista. Many people are going to be upset if a program they run on XP doesn't work on Vista. So, you got two choices. Wait for the program to be updated to run on Vista or stick with XP. It's just another indication that Vista isn't for everyone right now.

No, you should not automatically expect XP software to work on Vista. AutoCAD is an incredibly complex program and the developers spend a great deal of time tweaking and debugging it to make sure it will run reliably on a given platform. Throwing a completely new OS at it and expecting it to just work is ridiculous. That it may function at all is a testament to MS. I agree; Vista is not right for everyone right now. But it's not their fault software is not ready to go.

Is there a difference? If you blame Vista you are in effect blaming MS.
Yes, there is a difference. If he was blaming MS, he'd say to use Mac OS or Linux. He didn't say that; he said to stick with XP.

No, you should not automatically expect XP software to work on Vista. AutoCAD is an incredibly complex program and the developers spend a great deal of time tweaking and debugging it to make sure it will run reliably on a given platform. Throwing a completely new OS at it and expecting it to just work is ridiculous. That it may function at all is a testament to MS. I agree; Vista is not right for everyone right now. But it's not their fault software is not ready to go.
IMO, incompatibilities between XP and Vista should be no worse than what was observed bet. 2k and XP, which, IIRC, wasn't bad at all.

Yes, there is a difference. If he was blaming MS, he'd say to use Mac OS or Linux. He didn't say that; he said to stick with XP.

No, if he was blaming Windows as a whole he would say use Mac or Linux. But if he is saying Vista has flaws then MS is responsible for them as they are the developer and he is in effect blaming them for those flaws.

IMO, incompatibilities between XP and Vista should be no worse than what was observed bet. 2k and XP, which, IIRC, wasn't bad at all.

IMO incompatibilities haven't been bad at all. For the most part, XP software works fine. Some stuff has bugs, some bugs may be serious enough to cause instabilities like this author experienced. But overall things work well and are getting better all the time. I recall pretty much the same stuff going from 98 to XP, and plenty of people crying bloody murder for the problems they did have. In 6 months time the problems will be gone and people will have forgotten all about these issues and their impassioned criticisms of Vista.

I would like to try out Vista, but the fact is that there are currently no drivers for my soundcards. I would have to give up my recording business in order to use Vista, and I'm just not willing to do that at all. I also want to make sure that iTunes is 100% compatible before I try Vista.

I've seen a lot of crying about application compatibility here and in the review but zero mention of actually the application compatibility features. You know you have to SET the program to run in a compatibility mode? Hell you can do this before you install it and have to for some programs that will only install on a certain OS.

Anyway poor review, try again. Hell regular consumers and users should have no gripes with vista, business users have the biggest beefs with vista which put your problems to shame.

I've seen a lot of crying about application compatibility here and in the review but zero mention of actually the application compatibility features. You know you have to SET the program to run in a compatibility mode? Hell you can do this before you install it and have to for some programs that will only install on a certain OS.

Anyway poor review, try again. Hell regular consumers and users should have no gripes with vista, business users have the biggest beefs with vista which put your problems to shame.

Compatibility mode doesn't always work. For example the Cisco VPN I use to connect to my campus network simply will not work under Vista, and I tried everything, including compatibility mode, installing it under compatibility mode, etc.

More Windows Vista incompatibility: Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 (currently available for free - limited time only)

Read your own link?

Q: I have installed Paragon Software onto my Windows Vista but cannot start the program. It gives the error that "Paragon Software" requires administrative privileges access to your system. Contact your System Administrator to solve the problem. I am an administrator of my PC, what is going wrong?

A: Looks like you have installed the version of Paragon Software product that was not compatible with Windows Vista. We do recommend downloading an update that is compatible with Microsoft Windows Vista (check via web site and Knowledge Base->updates)."

Compatibility mode doesn't always work. For example the Cisco VPN I use to connect to my campus network simply will not work under Vista, and I tried everything, including compatibility mode, installing it under compatibility mode, etc.

The past 3-4 revisions of the cisco client work fine with vista with no compatibility modes needed. Only connecting before windows logon is not available yet.

Here's my take; Anybody upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2007??; if you have then you know the major difference is Eye Candy, period. And, because they dummed it down, the Office 2007 upgrade is harder to use; maybe not just in the short term due to a learning curve, but maybe from now on.

I'm guessing Vista had the same direction from Gates/Microsoft; someone said, lets "put the eye candy in!! So, for the enthusiast and better user Vista is harder to use than XP.

So, It's not just that it's an early release and the bugs need to be worked out, the design is fundamentally different, and in my opinion, on the wrong track. All the major advantages Vista has are only there because they are, OR WILL, be "Deliberately" left out of XP...............

The past 3-4 revisions of the cisco client work fine with vista with no compatibility modes needed. Only connecting before windows logon is not available yet.

Cisco VPN does not officially support Vista, the latest public release is XP only as far as I know and will not work under Vista. There are betas that do work, but Cisco is not making them public, if you want them you have to track them down on the internet. I was able to find a beta that does work and that's what I'm using now, but this is probably not an acceptable solution for the average user.

In any case my point was that there is software out there that does not work under Vista no matter what you do, the Cisco VPN was just one example of that.

They have released version 5 recently and it works as have the past revisions. If your connecting with the client somebody within your organization will have the ability to download a new one.

Also, Nortel Contivity VPN that we use at work is apparently not compatible with Windows Vista either. The desktop admins warned us about it. I think we use ver. 5.01 at work; not sure if a newer Vista-compatible version is out. And even if it is, corporations usually wait a while before upgrading, after passing their due diligence testing.

Read your own link?

Q: I have installed Paragon Software onto my Windows Vista but cannot start the program. It gives the error that "Paragon Software" requires administrative privileges access to your system. Contact your System Administrator to solve the problem. I am an administrator of my PC, what is going wrong?

A: Looks like you have installed the version of Paragon Software product that was not compatible with Windows Vista. We do recommend downloading an update that is compatible with Microsoft Windows Vista (check via web site and Knowledge Base->updates)."

OK, so it looks like an update is now available. I just went on Paragon's Web site and see that, too. It obviously doesn't affect an XP user like me.

I use MS Word for my own purposes generally. Since we have many poor students in the district I work for, I've run quite a few of the Open Source alternatives through the paces. From what I've observed, Abiword is simply a lot more polished than Open Office Writer. It's also much faster on slower machines (whether it's old hardware or virus ridden) and has a smaller memory footprint.

Whats the last version of OO that you ran? I do thank you though, I can understand the need to have booth if you feel Abi word is more plished. Thanks.

This whole thread is becoming funny. I never thought people would get so worked up and emotional over an operating system. The plain fact is Vista works for some and not for others. If your a gamer with a $500+ 8800 GTX then you are not a happy camper right now when it comes to Vista. Is that MS's fault? No way! But as a consumer you have no choice but to take that into account when thinking about Vista. I have read some silly comments too in this thread. "Vista runs Office 2007" and I leave my system on 24/7 type of comments. Does that make Vista ready then for everybody else? If the reviewer had a hard time running it then so be it. People are either so ready to come to the defense of MS or to come and attack that it gets tiresome.

I am going to take what seems to be a controversial opinion in this thread and defend the reviewer. I am not going to question his testing methodology and if you read his article and his comments in this thread I think we should give the guy a break. At least he came here to respond to peoples comments. His experience was a negative one for now but I am sure this site will return to have a look at Vista down the line a bit. Vista is not a short term project like a piece of hardware to be outdated in 6 months. It should be reviewed more like a MMORPG as its a long term investment.

The most important thing about this site is its honesty. That honesty sometimes gets people angry it would seem but I would rather come here then go to 90% of the other hardware sites where the reviews are all glowing so they can keep receiving samples. I like this place the way it is and have since the late 90s.
ya i have the 8800gtx spent 2700 on a new pc ,the sysetm vista run the games like a cartoon and chopping pics or dragging in game play. xp runs perfect. swicthing back to vista untill its fixed.

Back