30 Day Update on my Temps after Lapping 2011 MBP Heatsink

can you post a summary? i don't have flash on this computer so i can't see your videos.

tl;dw

summary please, and use Celcius (not Centigrade) instead of Fahrenheit..

tl;dw

summary please, and use Celcius (not Centigrade) instead of Fahrenheit..

Celsius and Centigrade are the same thing....

Wikipedia said:
Celsius, also known as centigrade,[1] is a scale and unit of measurement for temperature. It is named after the Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744), who developed a similar temperature scale. The degree Celsius (°C) can refer to a specific temperature on the Celsius scale as well as a unit to indicate a temperature interval, a difference between two temperatures or an uncertainty. The unit was known until 1948 as "centigrade" from the Latin centum translated as 100 and gradus translated as "steps".

(My bolding.)

What did you start at? Was there any difference? Was it worth it to spend the time?

Temps would spike out to 100-102C (212-215F) and over a 30 minute encode, I would get thermal throttling.

Now my 2.5Ghz never clocks below 2.8Ghz when doing heavy encoding ;)

So yes, would 110% do it again.

Temps would spike out to 100-102C (212-215F) and over a 30 minute encode, I would get thermal throttling.

Now my 2.5Ghz never clocks below 2.8Ghz when doing heavy encoding ;)

So yes, would 110% do it again.

Informative. Just out of curiosity. How did you measure your throttling under load? I'm assuming you have an app that shows your clock speed in real time.

The only fail detected from here is coming from you two lol

You statement was: "Use Celcius, not Centigrade"

If you take a basic logic course the statement you made is essentially saying "One is not the other" or "these two items are not equal". The word 'not' cannot be used for anything else in this case other than for negation.

What if he had termed all of his temperatures in "Centigrade" (the thing you told him not to do)? Would they have therefore have been invalid or would have been unable to know what they are immediately in 'Celsius'? (Seeing as they are the same thing.)

I should also point out that if you're pointing out dates Wikipedia, you didn't even read the whole article...

Wikipedia said:
It was not until February 1985 that the forecasts issued by the BBC switched from "centigrade" to "Celsius".[15]
For scientific use, "Celsius" is the term usually used, with "centigrade" otherwise continuing to be in common but decreasing use, especially in informal contexts in English-speaking countries (the French "grade" is known as the gradian, grad, or gon in English).

Common but decreasing use, still means it's used. And not only used, but valid.

Wikipedia said:
The United Kingdom has gradually increased use of the Celsius scale since the 1970s and it is now the predominant temperature scale used, but it is widely called centigrade. Occasionally broadcasters and publications quote Fahrenheit air temperatures alongside Celsius in weather forecasts, and air-temperature thermometers sold sometimes show both scales.

Centigrade is also still widely used in the UK. As in today, now. If your basis for whether something can be used or not is commonality, centigrade is still used in common speech and is not considered to be archaic.

Why you feel like it's an insult to point out, I'm not sure, although I do acknowledge that schizrade's comment is more inflammatory. I only sought to be informative. I apologize if there was any alternate feeling attached.

Last edited:
Informative. Just out of curiosity. How did you measure your throttling under load? I'm assuming you have an app that shows your clock speed in real time.

Have you not seen Intel's Power Gadget for OSX? It's freaking awesome. Shows current power draw AND real time CPU, and you can log it ;)

Back