30" And greater Gaming, non-TN

Groo21

n00b
Hi,

I currently have a pair of 16:10, 24" Dell 2405FPW monitors that have been awesome for almost a decade. Though it's time to upgrade.

I do gaming and a lot of miscellaneous computer work, which has me on it often.

Critera:

• At least 1200 lines of vertical resolution
  • Prefer 16:10, though sadly acknowledge that these are rare
  • 28 or larger inches. Prefer 30 or 32.
  • Not a TN screen
  • Decent gaming performance (at the very least not worse than the 2405FPW)

From what I've seen, most large 30" monitors have horrendous lag, It's hard for me to gauge if the lag they have is worse than what I have now.

I'm hesitant about 4K monitors due to windows scaling capability. I don't think they have it right yet. And again, if 4K is 4K with blur, no thanks.

Note: I'm not a twitch sensitive FPS player.
I don't think I want to deal with the adobe color space issues.
I would upgrade my video card to meet the monitor demands.

Bottom line: Needs to be larger, needs to be better (less blur) than the 2504FPW's.

I can't find a decent option.
BenQ 32" VA doesn't get great reviews.
LG 21:9 34" IPS monitor is just too wide I think. Sooo wide.
Dell & HP 30" IPS monitors have the Adobe issue, and some lag?
Samsung 32" VA - don't know anything about it

Price isn't a huge issue. $1K maybe. Though the above curved LG is $1300, which I've considered. (soooo wide)

Thanks for the help!

No such thing as too wide :D

20141202_132711.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJgomJXSU0

I'd avoid the curved model though, massive backlight bleed.

I think its hard to appreciate how wide that 34" monitor is until you see it in person. It really is like 2 20" monitors side by side. (plus height)

Yeah I only got this in 2 days ago. When UPS dropped it off, I was floored how big the box was. My 100lb labrador could fit in it, lol.

I do a lot of movie watching at my computer. This thing is perfect for that.

You say you have had your current monitors for 10+ years, I would definitely look for something that will last you another 10 years. I think you might regret going with 1 monitor at 16:10 aspect ratio coming from 2 24" monitors.

I normally just game on one of them, and have something else up on the other.

I may keep the other 2 hooked up anyway as extra displays, depends on how much its needed.

I think I'd rather have more vertical monitor space than horizontal though. The LG 21:9 is only barely taller than the 2405's I have.

I normally just game on one of them, and have something else up on the other.

I may keep the other 2 hooked up anyway as extra displays, depends on how much its needed.

I think I'd rather have more vertical monitor space than horizontal though. The LG 21:9 is only barely taller than the 2405's I have.

If you need more vert pixels then you might as well jump to 4K, but I think the 21:9 with 1440p is the bees knees. I'm just waiting to see if g or free-sync versions appear on the horizon to grab one.

There a 3 - 32" options out there at 1440p that I'm aware of:

Ben Q BL3200P - Not getting great feedback here

Samsung S32D850T

Acer B326HUL

I think they all are the same panel too.

I haven't see a gaming review of the Samsung or Acer yet. The input lags seem large, though I have no idea what I have now, so it's hard to know if I'm getting worse.

As a side note, do most 4K monitors do a straight 4:1 scaling for 1080p to avoid interpolation?
Regardless, I don't get the impression that 4K IPS/PLS/VA panels exists that are reasonably fast or have acceptable lag.

There are no proper 32" 4K reviews for the newer monitors and the 1st gen 32" Sharp IGZO panels use pathetically low and insulting PWM frequencies (120-240hz).

30" IPS suffer from really obvious glow (unless viewed from 120cm/4ft which defeats the point of owning a large monitor) and the 2000$ NEC PA302W is the only newer (LED back-lit) 30" which has a good sRGB mode and does not suffer from very obvious overshoot ghosting (the Z30i does not but it has horrible colour presets and lacks an sRGB mode=over saturated and inaccurate colours).

The 32" Acer VA monitor suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting and lacks overdrive settings like most of the new 30" IPS. The Crossover 32X2-P is easily the best 32" VA monitor followed by the BenQ for gaming (Expert Reviews tested the Samsung as well).

Last edited:
There are no proper 32" 4K reviews for the newer monitors
Honestly it makes me suspicious. Usually reviewers get samples before the products are available for purchase. Like, what are these manufacturers trying to hide?

NCX: in your previous comments about the VA's, I inferred that they suffer from bad blurring.

My current setup is not great for that. Have they improved to an acceptable level? That CrossOver monitor looks nice. I've never used a Korean Panel. I'll need to research the company quality a bit.

NCX: in your previous comments about the VA's, I inferred that they suffer from bad blurring.

My current setup is not great for that. Have they improved to an acceptable level? That CrossOver monitor looks nice. I've never used a Korean Panel. I'll need to research the company quality a bit.

I've got the Acer 32" VA monitor coming early next week. Been using 3 Dell 2407's for a couple years, very similar to your 2405's. I'll post back when I get it and let you know how they compare.

The newer VA panels are fine (only a tiny bit slower than AHVA/IPS/PLS), but still not my cup of tea since I use extinct PWM free, overclock-able 27" 1440p PLS for gaming. Newer VA panels are much faster than Dell 2405's, so you have nothing to worry about.

Some of the 30" CCFL back-lit Korean monitors and 1st gen Apple 30" are not wide gamut, but they use panels from 2006 which have 400-500:1 contrast, grainy matte coatings and slow pixel response times.

Unless you want to sit at least 121cm/4ft away to avoid seeing massive amounts of white glow in the bottom corners, stay away from 30" IPS. Besides, glow free monitors like the Eizo CX271 are not that much expensive than the trashy 1000$+ 30" IPS like the HP Z30i and Lenovo LT3053P.

Get the 32" BenQ or Crossover 32X2-P (top pick) and a squaretrade warranty (Google coupons to get up to 30% off).

I've got the Acer 32" VA monitor coming early next week.

Don't bother unboxing it or cancel your order if it hasn't shipped and get the BenQ 32" or Crossover. The Acer suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting.

Last edited:
so do you think on the 32 inches benq is better than crossover? acer or samsung? at least has the least input lag acording to most reviews.. im going to pull the trigger this weekend and i want to make sure im getting the best of them as im getting 2 for work mostly in portrait mode, and to play ocassionally 4x games or RTS.. not much fps.. other than borderlands2.

My HP Z30i is a dang fast 30" screen. Bright, beautiful and freakin fast. No blurring. I cannot perceive any input lag. It does, however, suffer from some mean IPS bottom corner glow. I'm used to it now, except in long, dark games, it can't get annoying. It's gaming performance and real estate makes up for it. No blotchy AG either. It's going to be tough finding a large 4K with the performance of this thing. I might be waiting a long time.

The newer VA panels are fine (only a tiny bit slower than AHVA/IPS/PLS), but still not my cup of tea since I use extinct PWM free, overclock-able 27" 1440p PLS for gaming. Newer VA panels are much faster than Dell 2405's, so you have nothing to worry about.

Some of the 30" CCFL back-lit Korean monitors and 1st gen Apple 30" are not wide gamut, but they use panels from 2006 which have 400-500:1 contrast, grainy matte coatings and slow pixel response times.

Unless you want to sit at least 121cm/4ft away to avoid seeing massive amounts of white glow in the bottom corners, stay away from 30" IPS. Besides, glow free monitors like the Eizo CX271 are not that much expensive than the trashy 1000$+ 30" IPS like the HP Z30i and Lenovo LT3053P.

Get the 32" BenQ or Crossover 32X2-P (top pick) and a squaretrade warranty (Google coupons to get up to 30% off).

Don't bother unboxing it or cancel your order if it hasn't shipped and get the BenQ 32" or Crossover. The Acer suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting.

Well, I got it brand new from the egg for $380, vs $700 for the benq. I'm sure it's at least as good as my old 2407's, but bigger and more pixels.

Hi,
I currently have a pair of 16:10, 24" Dell 2405FPW monitors that have been awesome for almost a decade. Though it's time to upgrade.
I do gaming and a lot of miscellaneous computer work, which has me on it often.

If you did survive a decade on the present monitors there is no reason for an impulsive buying now, especially that the display area is in huge transition right now. You may see this transition from acronyms like ultrawide, curved, 4K, 5K, DP1.3. It is very reasonable to wait to the beginning of '15 to see the trends.

But you should take a long, hard look on the 40"@4K and the 34" ultrawides as examples of these trends. They will easy replace the two which you have now. Note that while they look leading edge now, they may become quite normal 24 months from now. Regarding the input lag, they are not that bad though probably not for hardcore gamers which anyway select high/elastic frame rate monitors. Monitors with high/elastic frame rates are made only in smaller sizes now but this may change in 2015.

I can't find a decent option.
BenQ 32" VA doesn't get great reviews.
LG 21:9 34" IPS monitor is just too wide I think. Sooo wide.
Dell & HP 30" IPS monitors have the Adobe issue, and some lag?
Samsung 32" VA - don't know anything about it

I have a couple of the Dell 30s at work, but haven't gamed on them. I have the Benq 32", Acer 32", and LG 34" 21:9 in person right now. When I saw the Acer for $380-$400 I figured I didn't have anything to lose but time, and maybe I'd get a newer one, which I did.

The Benq/Acer both have all of the same issues, even though their manufacture dates are months apart. Clouding, banding, and then the flashing in some games and on Google Maps. The VA cone is noticeable depending on how close you sit, but this is just a trade off vs IPS glow.

The LG is a lottery for backlight bleed. Mine has two spots in the lower lefthand corner, otherwise it's perfect. Mine was manufactured in November. I took the time to get up close to it last night, and then from 6 feet, and the rest was just some glow in the top two corners. Too bad about the lower left though, they all seem to have that to some extent. The quality of the panel itself is amazing, even in desktop use compared to everything else in your list.

The Dells have just as many BLB problems as the LG's, if not more. It confuses me how Dell can use a similar looking frame for their smaller IPS monitors, like the U2412M, U2414, U2415 and only screw up the 30s. We don't have any of the 27s at work.

IMO, the LG looks better than the Dell by a significant margin. The Dell kind of reminds me of an AMOLED smartphone screen with the saturation. The older CCFL Dells don't seem to have this as much.

If you are doing GIS work or gaming, the 32" VA panels are out. They shouldn't be recommended at all. NCX is normally way more picky than I, so to see him recommend one of these is kind of odd.

For example: in games that don't flicker I think the overdrive of the Acer isn't a big deal, especially for $380-$400. The Benq set to Premium is though.

If you are doing GIS work or gaming, the 32" VA panels are out. They shouldn't be recommended at all. NCX is normally way more picky than I, so to see him recommend one of these is kind of odd.

For example: in games that don't flicker I think the overdrive of the Acer isn't a big deal, especially for $380-$400. The Benq set to Premium is though.

Not everyone's 32" flickers and there's no reason to use the BenQ's Premium overdrive setting. People who want big & expensive monitors usually have the lowest standards, hence rich people ending up with a Z30i/<insert 30"> and raving about the inaccurate wide gamut colours+horrible colour presets and getting used to the glow.

Besides, the OP is using a Dell 2405 which has poor colour presets, slow pixel response times and obvious overshoot ghosting...there's not much point in being picky since the 32" VA are much better (aside from the Acer gaming wise) than a 2405 as well as the 30" IPS for consumer media related use.

Last edited:
Not everyone's 32" flickers and there's no reason to use the BenQ's Premium overdrive setting. People who want big & expensive monitors usually have the lowest standards, hence rich people ending up with a Z30i/<insert 30"> and raving about the inaccurate wide gamut colours+horrible colour presets and getting used to the glow.

Besides, the OP is using a Dell 2405 which has poor colour presets, slow pixel response times and obvious overshoot ghosting...there's not much point in being picky since the 32" VA are much better (aside from the Acer gaming wise) than a 2405 as well as the 30" IPS for consumer media related use.

Sorry if I'm being pessimistic or hardheaded, but I really don't buy that there are any 32" VAs on available now that don't flicker. The first one or two batches seem okay, unless people just weren't testing for it or playing games that flickered. Too many reports, and having two from different batches (July/September). People with the early ones that say it doesn't flicker in Google Maps or the ARMA screenshot/game are probably safe though.

Best case scenario is you get a black band 1/3rd from the left side. I seem to remember seeing some early ones with this too, although earlier ones seemed to have worse banding in general. Six of one and a half dozen of the other with those, I guess.

I agree with you though once I saw the U3014 in person. I was pretty glad I didn't bother using any space on my credit card in person.

I just don't think either are worth the cash. If LG made a 30" 16:10 or 32" 16:9 panel like their 34" panel, that'd be pretty interesting though. Haha, maybe I've become more picky in my attempt to replace what is probably worse than a 2405.

Has anyone see the 26" 1:1 that Eizo is putting out?
2 of those could be fun.

I think I'm leaning towards the LG, which would likely end up being my only monitor on my desktop unless I went tall above it.

People who want big & expensive monitors usually have the lowest standards, hence rich people ending up with a Z30i/<insert 30"> and raving about the inaccurate wide gamut colours+horrible colour presets and getting used to the glow.

LOL @ NCX - showing his true colors again. If you aren't after the exact same viewing experience he's after, you're not worthy of life. ;)

Has anyone see the 26" 1:1 that Eizo is putting out?
2 of those could be fun.

I think I'm leaning towards the LG, which would likely end up being my only monitor on my desktop unless I went tall above it.

I think the LG with a 32-40" LCD TV above/behind it would be an interesting setup, depending on your room arrangement. There's also the double LG approach that I've seen a couple of times. Be sure to have the top one upside down for the smaller bezel though.

Got my Acer B326HUL yesterday. Big, big upgrade from the Dell 2407 it replaced. No flickering like the BenQ owners have been complaining about, and no noticeable ghosting to my eyes, where the 2407 had issues with that. Granted, I am not a professional FPS gamer, but so far I'm loving this thing.

Back