3 x NEC 20WGX2 PRO - not so good

Hello.

It`s my first post here and I`m not native english speaker (writer) so please don`t yell at me ;-)

Here is my problem:

Lately I`m very disappointed and angry at NEC company.
About one year ago I have bought NEC 20WGX2 PRO (because of so high ratings in all internet reviews that i have found).
When i first launched it I saw many (some were few milimeters long) dust particles, that were behind LCD matrix - probably on backlight. I exchanged it.
Second 20WGX2 PRO did not have dust particles (at beginning), but contrast and backlight was extremely ununiform. After a few months of use dust particles on backlight started to appear. I counted almost hundred small gray dots of dust that were impossible to remove.
I exchanged monitor again. Backlight and contrast uniformity in my third 20WGX2 PRO was great but there were two hotpixels (red) from beginning :mad:. There were no dust particles. so for few months I have used it, and again this damn small gray dots started to appear few weeks ago.
Besides that, every 20WGX2 PRO I owned - had problem with EXPANSION MODE - OFF (1:1 mapping and ASPECT (stretching)). In ASPECT ratio mode, upper part of screen was not synchronized with lower part (it seemed like disabled Vsync, but horizontal "interframe" was always in same place on screen, which made this mode unusable in fast paced gaming or watching movies). 1:1 mapping was even worse, It was like in ASPECT MODE but in addition many horizontal lines in the middle of display were disslocated by few pixels to right or left.
I cannot understand, how monitor that have so many disadventages and low build quality, won so many awards and gathered so many high scores in reviews?
Maybe there is other explanation - like NEC company is selling units that did not met quality standards during some stages of production to countries like one I`m living in (eastern Europe) - why waste money if they can sell this "junk" somewhere, and for sure there will be no legal action against them (like it would probably be in USA or Britan)?
(Lately I had other problems with my new motherboard and new webcam - I paid a lot of money for it (high-end stuff made by well known companies) and they were broken before even I unpacked it (luckily I menaged somehow to fix webcam myself...) - but lets go back to displays).

I heve decided to buy new monitor (20WGX2 PRO will go to my wife`s PC ;-))
What are Your`s recommendations? 1680x1050 or 1920 x 1200 resolution and high build quality?
What do You think about:
Benq FP241WZ
or
Benq FP241VW
or maybe cheaper
HP 2207h?

Maybe something else?

Regards

apart from a few highend screens, this one and the 24/2690 screens, NEC produces a lot of mediocre and overpriced screens as well. Just to say that no manufacturer is without QC issues and poor panels.

it seems you ended up on the wrong side of the straw, hopefully you will have more luck with the BenQ.

I don't have the 20WMGX2 "Pro" - but I have 2 of the non Pro versions. The Pro version has a different panel (the non-pro panel was made by Philips; not sure who makes Pro version but I assume Philips as well). The Pro version is basic S-IPS while the non Pro is AS-SIPS. So I think the Pro is a somewhat watered down version (I think its mostly found in Europe as well). The comparisons on this site show a noticable difference:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=52&mo1=95&p1=969&ma2=52&mo2=261&p2=2486&ph=9

As to quality - I find buying monitors very hard. I went through 3 Dell exchanges before saying screw it and paying 550 for the NEC - which was perfect. I bought a second one 7 months latter as they were phasing out and had to make 3 exchanges. NEC was very good about it though and dealing with them was nowhere near the nightmare it was withy Dell. With NEC I made 1 call tp 1 person and had a new monitor on the way in 20 minutes. Dell was a fiasco with many calls to many people who never seemed to be in synch with anyone else at Dell.

In any event, I think buying a monitor via shipping is always a pain. I would find a seller who will be good for service as well as good reviews. On that score I'm happy with NEC even though they can make a crap unit here or there like anyone else. I have found their build materials to be better than others I have used. BenQ looks good but I never had one. I was looking at the 24 then something went wrong with them and people were unhappy so I passed. I have been very happy with my NEC's overall

The Pro has the same panel (LM201WE2), just different electronics and no TV tuner or sound bar.

I took mine apart a week after I bought it, and blasted the dust out from under the panel, then taped it up with masking tape to seal it (missed one spec though). I have not had anymore dust problems since (6 months).

Use your video cards scaling options and switch to a DVI cable if possible.

The reason it get's so many great reviews is because it's a great panel with great image quality, but just as with every LCD it has it's faults.

I went through a bad experience just recently with NEC as well.

Mine was with the 90GX2, it developed a *water spot* behind the screen, it was less than a year old so I called and RMA'd, to make a long story short after 3 RMA's because of dead pixels on the replacements, I gave up and kept the last one they sent me, since the prior one sent had 12 dead pixels.

It still should be replaced due to horrible blacklight bleed, but I had enough RMA's.

Needless to say I won't have another NEC in my lifetime.

Hallo.

I have thought a bit about my problems with NEC`s 20WGX2 Pro (dust behind screen) - why (almost) no other users have the same thing happening.
Then - enlightenment - I have ionic air purifier/cleaner standing about 3 meters from my desk. Air purifier should help (that`s logical - but it is not so...). This air cleaner at it`s inhaust makes dust particles charged + or -, and then all of them should be "catched" on oppositely charged exhaust. Probably not all charged dust particles stay in cleaner, and later some are sticking to backlight, that is probably charged too.

Back