3 way sli

hitched

Limp Gawd
So I now have 3 1080 ti's in my mining/gaming rig. My motherboard says it supports 2 way sli / 3 way crossfire but doesn't say anything about 3 way sli, not to mention I have yet to see a 3 way bridge that has the slot spacing my motherboard has (crosshair 6 hero). I by no means need all 3 running sli but I would like to benchmark this pc with 3 way sli if possible.

If it's not possible to run 3 way sli I am assuming my best option would be to do normal 2 way sli and set my 3rd for physics?

But I should be able to buy a 2 way bridge and set the 3rd for physics correct?

Tri and Quad SLI configurations are able to be *hacked* and enabled in 10 series GPUs, however it will not be able to run on your board due physical mobo limitation as only PCI-E 3.0 Slot 1 and 2 are Xfire/SLI Compatible with the CPU Lanes, third PCI-E Slot run with chipset Lanes at PCI-E 2.0 x8 and i hardly doubt it will be able to run even Xfire as they run at different PCI-E generations. the third 1080Ti will be a waste of power and heat even running as PhysX card..

AM4 only support up to 24 CPU lanes that's why in Multi GPU Solutions they first and second slot run at PCI-E 3.0 x8 and the third at PCI-E 2.0 x4. which it's actually kinda sad as Ryzen itself have 32 PCI-E Lanes but it's limited by mobo to 24.

Last edited:
As it stands I'm able to run my games just fine with 1 card the only reason this pc has 3 cards is that it mines in its spare time. 2x sli would be a nice little bump in performance if the games I play support it and 3 way is/was just a pipe dream lol.

I guess the ideal situation is move the cards to my 1950x rig when I decide to drop that much cash and then turn the crosshair 6 setup into a dedicated miner

you don't need SLI to mine.. you can run games on dual SLI and still keep the third mining, and when you stop to game join the other 2 GPUs to mine too, so in that scenario you will be fine.

I have three 1080tis and I only use one for gaming. I can't be bothered with SLI issues.

Other three are permanent "distributed compute".

you don't need SLI to mine.. you can run games on dual SLI and still keep the third mining, and when you stop to game join the other 2 GPUs to mine too, so in that scenario you will be fine.

I have tried doing this and with a 1700x and 32gb mining still seems to bog my entire system down... I will have to play with it more see what's going on

I have tried doing this and with a 1700x and 32gb mining still seems to bog my entire system down... I will have to play with it more see what's going on

Works fine for me. I would mine with two 1080ti and game with one. Couldn’t even tell the difference on the games I play.

3 way sli is a joke these days anyway.

One 1080ti scores 21000 on 3dmark
Two 1080ti with a highbandwidth bridge scored 28000 on 3dmark.
Three 1080ti with a non high bandwidth sli bridge scored 30000 on 3dmark.

They don’t make a high bandwidth 3 way bridge and on my system with the old 3 way bridge the 3rd card added less than 10%.

I find I don’t even need sli at all with a 1080ti. I’ve yet to play a game that isn’t above my monitor refresh rate of 120hz (120fps) on ultra settings at 1440p

And even at 3440x1440 I’ve not had a single slowdown in any game I can think of. A single 1080ti is an outright beast of a card. Not sure how Nvidia is going to up Volta’s performance enough to make 1080ti users want one (outside of true 4K users) cause nothing in my game library can put any kind of hurt on my single 1080ti. I took mine out of SLI almost immediately as there was absolutely no need. So there is 0 incentive (outside of mining) for me upgrade to Volta next go round.

Last edited:
Well make sure SLI is off if you are mining with the other GPU.

And obviously don't CPU mine.

There's a guy on Evga forums that wants to order 2 kingpin copper hybrids and is seriously debating ordering 4 for quad sli.. no talking him down. Haha

There's a guy on Evga forums that wants to order 2 kingpin copper hybrids and is seriously debating ordering 4 for quad sli.. no talking him down. Haha

The Baller life is hard to ignore. Maybe he should really play the game and get a V?

Back