3 video cards in one computer

Zefram0911

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to fool the video cards into thinking that a monitor is connected to all three without having to attaching a monitor to each one? Or plugging a monitor in and then out and doing it every time I reboot? Obviously for GPU folding.

You can build 2 dummy VGA plug with 3 75 ohms resistors and plug on each extra video card. There is a tutorial floating here in the DC ;)

Three GPU clients on one box is easy.
I'm running 4x 9800GX2 cards in one computer under Windoze XP for 8 GPU clients.
I'm need 7x dummy VGA plugs for it to work correctly.
Even under XP, 2 or 3 GPU client will run on one CPU core without a major loss of points.

Luck ......... :D

you can use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 in windows xp, along with the -gpu x flag and they will work on xp,but not vista.

ps i have 3 8800gt's running this way with no monitor

you can use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 in windows xp, along with the -gpu x flag and they will work on xp,but not vista.

ps i have 3 8800gt's running this way with no monitor

XP is easy with this. If you ever had a monitor hooked up and told the computer to expand it will save the settings. Vista is picky, hence the dummy plugs. I have a bunch of resistors here for if/when I upgrade my filer server to WHS or Vista. Just so I'm ready if they need the dummy plugs.

Yea from everything Ive seen Im gonna skip Vista just like I did windows ME LMAO! I have U 64 here loaded it twice, after a couple day ewwww format Xp32, with the new flag you dont even have to expand it any more it just works !

I'm not sure I'd compare vista to Win ME. Vista and the GPU client seem to have been made for each other. There is very little CPU hit running the GPU client(s) in vista while in XP....things can get a little laggy to say the least. Vista is far from perfect but it's not horrible either.

I'm not sure I'd compare vista to Win ME. Vista and the GPU client seem to have been made for each other. There is very little CPU hit running the GPU client(s) in vista while in XP....things can get a little laggy to say the least. Vista is far from perfect but it's not horrible either.

Yeh I love it on my main box. Took a bit of getting used to, but so did 3.11 to 95.

I got Vista in a deal, with a processor when it first came out, let see, I run all ASUS stuff here, no vista drivers for sheet, so I waited a few months,and tried it again, got a few things to work, but it is way slow compared to XP,I have heard it uses less processor in vista on the GPU, I also read people think thats an error, I also heard it produces less points in vista.
People on my team claim you need 4-8 Gb of ram for it,I got Linux boxes in the basement running the smp A2 core on 512mb,no Issues. Frankly I didnt like XP, Windows 2000 Pro was a good OS Rock solid and no issues, even when it was alpha rock solid.I can go over to distro watch and grab about any linux right now, and everything works outa the box, and its free.Bill Gates is one more Vista away from Being run over by Linux, I hope he knows it, he knew it when he made Windows 2000, I got friends that work there Bill is to worried about, making the 2 OS's not get along than he is making a good OS. Anyway my 2 cents LOL

If you want to go the soldering route then THIS is the guide on how to do it.

If you want to go the non-soldering route the just buy 3x 75 ohm resistors per plug and stick them in the correct holes, 1-6 2-7 3-8, in the DVI-VGA adapter that you get with each card.
Its that quick and easy.

Luck .............. :D

It's that easy? stick it in and nothing else? wow... how come all this business with the soldering then?

My guess would be some people dont want wires hanging out the back of there box, that could fall out.

Wwrooonnngggg !!!

That's the duty of the mighty duct tape !

LMAO at duct tape, hey you kinda sound like me, ,expert rigger! Idunno on my 8800Gt's I found that even on XP I have to have the DVI to VGA (no resistors)on there or it wont run even using the -forcegpu flag, I was fiddling around yesterday and knock it off and the box crashed. Wierd there is no monitor! I dont get it. Has anyone tried putting the DVI to VGA (no resistors)on cards in Vista, just a thought! Anyway you can probably do it with something laying around the house, if you have an OHm meter to test, and a long enough piece of wire,longer more resistance,or maybe even a paper clip.Or aluminium instead of copper.your just loopingback the connection.

I have run 4x GPU cores with dummy plugs on one boxen under Vista.
I now run 7x GPU cores with dummy plugs on one box under XP.
I found that Vista was limited to 5x GPU cores.
To run all 4x 9800GX2's on one box I needed XP, hence the upgrade to it ......... :p

Luck .............:D

I have run 4x GPU cores with dummy plugs on one boxen under Vista.
I now run 7x GPU cores with dummy plugs on one box under XP.
I found that Vista was limited to 5x GPU cores.
To run all 4x 9800GX2's on one box I needed XP, hence the upgrade to it ......... :p
Why 7, what happened to the 8th GPU? Did you stop the client?

I'm betting that one is connected to a monitor.

Correct ........ :p
I need one monitor output just to check all 8 GPU clients start correctly.

Luck ................................... :D

Back