3 specific questions about App Stores

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
1,126
Macs:

1. If I buy the latest MacBook Pro or MBA today, will I get access to Xcode 4 for free (I think Xcode3 used to come on a DVD with previous MBPs), or do I still have to buy it for $5 on Mac App Store? (assuming no Apple Developer membership)
2. If I buy an app on Mac App Store on someone else's Mac, but use my iTunes account to perform the purchase. If I use another Mac, can I install same app without having to pay again for it?

iPhone:

3. If I buy an app on iPhone App Store and then delete it (no backup on computer either), do I have to pay for it again using the same iTunes account?

I'm expecting pay $5/can redownload for free/have to pay again, but I'd like to confirm. Thanks.
 
Thanks.

This way I can start buying apps from Mac App Store and use them on a Mac in my lab. When I get my own MacBook, I won't have to buy 'em again. And the $5 for Xcode 4 won't be a waste either.

It's too bad their Mac App Store free redownload policy doesn't apply to iOS App Store. I hope it changes in the future. (I know you can keep deleted apps on iTunes, but it's still a bother.)
 
I actually gave you the wrong answer to your third question — you can redownload purchased apps from the iOS App Store even if you delete the app from your library.
 
You used to be able to download the latest xcode for free if you were just the free level of an apple dev but it looks like they decided to nix that once they launched the app store.
 
I don't mind paying $5 for it personally; as long as I don't have to do it twice, or do it once unnecessarily hehe.
 
I don't know what OP was talking about, but you do not need to pay for ios apps you delete off your device. Everything you download, free or paid is tied to your account and you can download it whenever you want. Heck if you have multiple devices, you can use the same account on all of them and download them for free on each device (minus the initial purchase price for paid apps).

Matter of fact, you can even look-up your purchase history and re-download whatever you want through itunes or your device at any time. Only thing to be aware of is that Apple removes apps from the store sometimes, so if you delete it and they have removed it, you will no longer be able to access it unless you have it backed up on your computer.

Edit:
Wow, a lot of posts popped up while I was typing this...
 
So iOS/Mac App Store apps can be redownloaded for free via the same iTunes account (on any iOS/Mac device(s)).

Maybe I've confused it with music... If you buy a song or album on iTunes and delete it, you have to pay for it again. Right?
 
Back
Top