3 Screen setup with Eyefinity

conscript

2[H]4U
My father in his office has a dual screen setup that I put together for him a couple years ago. he uses it as 1 large screen so he can have multiple spreadsheets open on each screen at the same time.

Here's his ask, and I want to make sure I can do this and I have the proper equipment:

He's like to continue having two screens on his desk as he does today, but also attach a plasma/lcd TV to the wall where he could show his clients specific documents as well (and not reveal his desktop. In addition, when he's not showing documents, he's like it to bascially run as a screen saver showing off pictures of his grandkids.

I've always been a 1 large screen type of guy myself, so no personal experience with it, but obviously I can figure how to do it within the ATI control panel if it's possible, which is pretty much my question. Has anyone done this or know that it's definitely doable? And also, I assume I'll have to get a 5000 or 6000 series care to run Eyefinity, so any recommendations on which to get that will satisfy the requirements? (no gaming will ever be done)

3 screens are doable

what you say isn't exactly easy, but i'm sure there's a way to run a slideshow of pics on the third screen when unneeded (still connected)

if you have space in the mobo for another video card, then you can just get any cheap low end one for a third screen

otherwise, the minimum you need is a 5xxx or 6xxx series with at least one port to be displayport, and buy an active displayport to VGA or DVI adapter

cheapest ALL digital connections(dvi, hdmi)
$70 singleslot XFX 5570 lifetime warranty and a $27 active DP to DVI cable = $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150474&cm_re=5570-_-14-150-474-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ive_displayport_to_dvi-_-14-999-030-_-Product

It would be easy to get a PCI card, but a PCIe x1 card is gonna be wayyyyy overpriced.

believe you could simply stick a x16 card into a x1 slot, if the x1 slot is open(if it's not, and you don't mind damaging the connector on the mobo, use an exacto knife to cut open the slot)

otherwise, upgrade :D

Back