3 RAIDZ in zpool

BonzTM

n00b
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, as well as new to ZFS. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to settle with ZFS right now, but it's definitely an option.

I have 5 2TB drives, and 10 1TB drives. I'd like to eventually replace the 1TB drives with 2TB drives, but I can't really afford to just buy 10 2TB's at the moment. What would a good plan of action be?

Would it be wise to create 3 raidz vdevs and combine them in 1 zpool? That means if I lose 2 drives from 1 of the vdevs that I lose the entire array correct?

I was actually going to create a RAID6 array with mdadm and just expand it as I bought more 2TB drives. Would this be a better idea than ZFS? I also will probably be using ZFSGuru if I do it.

Would it be wise to create 3 raidz vdevs and combine them in 1 zpool?

I would not do that until zfs allows removing arrays from a zpool without having to destroy the pool and create a new one.

I'm not as much worried about removing any of the arrays from the zpool. I was more concerned with the data risk of 3 raidz vs. 1 raidz2 or raidz3.

I was thinking 5x2TB raidz, 5x1TB raidz, 5x1TB raidz. That way I can buy a few 2TB drives at a time and resilver the smaller arrays into 5x2TB arrays.

I'm worried about possibly losing 2 drives in a vdev causing complete data loss.

Back