3 Polaris GPUs Unveiled

I think everybody expects Nvidia to release a Pascal 1060 (or re-brand the GTX 980) when Polaris actually releases, if it lives up to AMD's claims.

I must have heard it wrong. I thought she said products in the $100- $300 range. Thanks for correcting me.

You may have heard correctly. I heard her at E3 today, but I know that she said something similar in Macau. Perhaps she misspoke the first time?

I think everybody expects Nvidia to release a Pascal 1060 (or re-brand the GTX 980) when Polaris actually releases, if it lives up to AMD's claims.

Right, which is why AMD is going super-aggressive on 480 pricing here. It seems they have a few months advantage on Nvidia, assuming they can get these in quantity before August.

Nvidia might make an even more cut 1060 Ti and price it at under $300, but I don't know if they'll have enough supply of GP104. And every rumor I've heard for GP106 has been early fall.

Can not wait to buy this RX480 card.Expect some good rumors tonight/tomorrow on this card.

Can not wait to buy this RX480 card.Expect some good rumors tonight/tomorrow on this card.

why tonight/tomorrow? Im expecting to buy these as well unless Nvidia throws some news out there. Im currently computerless untill this GPU comes out

Everyone expects nvidia to release a 1060. Nvidia has never released a midrange card that close to high end release. It's always been a quarter after. If nvidia releases 1060 now (I don't think it's ready for one) it will hurt sales of 1070. So to expect nvidia to launch 1060 and have availability is just not happening.

This seems like a hard launch by amd with plenty of cars to go around.

Everyone expects nvidia to release a 1060. Nvidia has never released a midrange card that close to high end release. It's always been a quarter after. If nvidia releases 1060 now (I don't think it's ready for one) it will hurt sales of 1070. So to expect nvidia to launch 1060 and have availability is just not happening.

This seems like a hard launch by amd with plenty of cars to go around.
When was last time x60 release hurt sales of x70 though? I'll agree that it won't come too quickly, but i think nV will hurry a little bit this time, because it's better have x60 cannibalize sales of x70 over commies (the only right name for AMD after this campaign) stealing the thunder.

Also, i would not drive a $199 car, no matter the availability :p

why tonight/tomorrow? Im expecting to buy these as well unless Nvidia throws some news out there. Im currently computerless untill this GPU comes out

Just stupid rumors as always.One of them like this
540568_asdasd_png.png

No one is going to sell their 980/390x unless they can get a sizeable performance boost. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we'll get that from the RX 480. Heck, it's argueable that the 1070 isn't enough of a gain to warrant an upgrade from most of that crowd.

Reactions: ppi
like this
No one is going to sell their 980/390x unless they can get a sizeable performance boost. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we'll get that from the RX 480. Heck, it's argueable that the 1070 isn't enough of a gain to warrant an upgrade from most of that crowd.

Same boat here - got co-workers egging me on to sell them my Furys for $150 total in order to get 2 RX 480s.

AMD: "In a year or so, we'll refresh our lineup with Polars cards offering great value for the mid-range!"

Everyone: "Yeah! Polaris will kill EVERYTHING Nvidia has to offer!"

AMD: "We never said that. It will be a mid-range architecture"

Everyone: "Hey, everyone, look! AMD's new cards are going to be top-tier Nvidia killers!"

AMD: "Well, they will be mid-range cards with a really attractive price point"

Everyone: "Did you hear that!? AMD's cards are going to destroy the 1080 Ti for $100!"

AMD: "So, no, we have Vega to fill out the top-end after polaris launches. Vega will be the top-end silicon"

Everyone: "Did you hear that, the entire internet!? AMD's going to release TOP END MAXIMUM POWER chips!"

AMD: "After we release Polaris, the mid-range part that will compete in the $100-$300 segment"

Everyone: "AMD's POLARIS WILL DESTROY A 1180 Ti FOR LESS THAN $300!!"

AMD: "I don't know where you're getting that..."

----Cards launch ----

AMD: "Here are those Mid-Range $200 cards we talked about for years."

Everyone: "Haha! AMD's Polaris is running slower than expected they have to sell them as mid-range."

I think enthusiasts wanted Vega/Volta but we got Pascal/Polaris. The long game is Vega/Volta but what we're getting are placeholders for the real show to start. Hopefully, AMD makes enough money with the RX 4X0 line to compete.

Hahaha. I love it, I'm glad you took the time to post that. I had a great laugh. Sad part is, a lot of that is right. :)

----Cards launch ----

Everyone: "Haha! AMD's Polaris is running slower than expected they have to sell them as mid-range."

It would seem that the common wisdom considering that AMD is really pushing the 480 as a VR capable part is that the 480 is going to perform around the 970/390 level. If it comes in at the $200 to $240 range that would be pretty excellent, knocking down that level of performance $100 and delivering about half the performance of a 1080 at less than 1/3rd the price.

AMD: "In a year or so, we'll refresh our lineup with Polars cards offering great value for the mid-range!"

Everyone: "Hey, everyone, look! AMD's new cards are going to be top-tier Nvidia killers!"

Everyone: "Did you hear that!? AMD's cards are going to destroy the 1080 Ti for $100!"

AMD: "So, no, we have Vega to fill out the top-end after polaris launches. Vega will be the top-end silicon"

Everyone: "Did you hear that, the entire internet!? AMD's going to release TOP END MAXIMUM POWER chips!"

AMD: "After we release Polaris, the mid-range part that will compete in the $100-$300 segment"

----Cards launch ----

You forgot to insert the following:

AMD: "You guys will be surprised just how midrange our cards are!" (Damn, that sounds insulting).

When was last time x60 release hurt sales of x70 though? I'll agree that it won't come too quickly, but i think nV will hurry a little bit this time, because it's better have x60 cannibalize sales of x70 over commies (the only right name for AMD after this campaign) stealing the thunder.

Also, i would not drive a $199 car, no matter the availability :p

GTX 660TI?... it ate their own 670 sales and even a lot of 680 cards due the perf/watt offered in comparisons to the big brothers GK104..

----Cards launch ----

Lol so fricking true!!! I had a good laugh cuz as funny as it was, it is exactly what's happening. lol good one!

Just compare Polaris to same priced card from Nvidia, CFX 2 way to a 1070 and CFX 3 way to a 1080. Simple, well maybe. I am interested in the 470 and 460 for a build for my Daughter using my I5 6400 - should be a great combo for college stuff. Maybe thrown in a Surface Pro 4 as well.

----Cards launch ----

LOL! This is so spot on. Even now, after the midrange Polaris 10 and a bit about the lowend Polaris 11 have been revealed, I wonder how many dumbasses that still thinks Polaris is/or was supposed to be AMDs highend cards.

LOL! This is so spot on. Even now, after the midrange Polaris 10 and a bit about the lowend Polaris 11 have been revealed, I wonder how many dumbasses that still thinks Polaris is/or was supposed to be AMDs highend cards.

They're only dumbasses if they think that Polaris was the Fury replacement. That's Vega. But there's nothing wrong in thinking that Polaris 11 was the 360/370 replacement, and Polaris 10 was the 380/390 replacement. With the sales of the 970/390, $300 is now considered mid-range. And for users with this line of thinking, they generally think that the 480 wasn't as fast as AMD had hoped (hence 480 instead of 490), and they're pricing aggressively to undercut Nvidia ($250 would be justified based on performance + NV's price hikes).

They're only dumbasses if they think that Polaris was the Fury replacement. That's Vega. But there's nothing wrong in thinking that Polaris 11 was the 360/370 replacement, and Polaris 10 was the 380/390 replacement. With the sales of the 970/390, $300 is now considered mid-range. And for users with this line of thinking, they generally think that the 480 wasn't as fast as AMD had hoped (hence 480 instead of 490), and they're pricing aggressively to undercut Nvidia ($250 would be justified based on performance + NV's price hikes).

No, $300 is not considered Mid Range. That is breaking into high-end. Then from $500 you are breaking into halo/enthusiast. Mid-range is $100-$250. Any lower is low-end.

No, the coolers are just as large as people want them to be. For those who think bigger is better, they have that.

And for those who think smaller is better, they have lots of those. Just take the shrouds off these, and the fan/heatsink will be nearly the same size:

14-125-856-02.jpg

That is small. Looks to be same extrusion die pattern as the older LGA775 intel HSFs used.

----Cards launch ----

I know, right? I think most of us who've been around for a while must feel like it's ground hog day every time AMD releases something. Same groupthink every single time.

Its crazy how 750 is going for 100, R9 280 going for 150+, and R9 290 can be had for under 200 with patience.

No, $300 is not considered Mid Range. That is breaking into high-end. Then from $500 you are breaking into halo/enthusiast. Mid-range is $100-$250. Any lower is low-end.

What the hell is below $100, ATI MACH 64? $0-200 low-end, $200-400 mid-range $400-600 high-end, $600+ enthusiast range.

What the hell is below $100, ATI MACH 64? $0-200 low-end, $200-400 mid-range $400-600 high-end, $600+ enthusiast range.

Sorry bud, but $300 is squarely high-end. The GTX X60 (including the Ti) range has always been the last stop on the mid-range road. Anything more expensive is High-End. By your numbers, there are maybe 4 pieces of silicon that qualify as high-emd, and 2 that qualify as enthusiast? Sorry, but in the REAL world, normal, everyday people wont pay $350 for a video card. Thats as much as an entire modern console, with controllers and everything: new in box. Those that actually pay that much or more are (you guessed it) PC enthusiast gamers looking for high-emd performance.

Good to see the shipping leaks were correct about two cut dies and one full.
That said, couldn't see that info again when looking recently.

Good to see the shipping leaks were correct about two cut dies and one full.
That said, couldn't see that info again when looking recently.
I mean, i see 1 cut die and 1 full die released, no 2nd cut of P10.

And then i see another 1 full die but of whole different chip, though i believe we will see rx450 launched fairly soon, when they will finally have a decent stock of faulty P11 chips.
Sorry bud, but $300 is squarely high-end. The GTX X60 (including the Ti) range has always been the last stop on the mid-range road. Anything more expensive is High-End. By your numbers, there are maybe 4 pieces of silicon that qualify as high-emd, and 2 that qualify as enthusiast? Sorry, but in the REAL world, normal, everyday people wont pay $350 for a video card. Thats as much as an entire modern console, with controllers and everything: new in box. Those that actually pay that much or more are (you guessed it) PC enthusiast gamers looking for high-emd performance.
Well, then 970 qualifies as high end. And it's the card on top of steam hwsurvey, huh.

I mean, i see 1 cut die and 1 full die released, no 2nd cut of P10.

And then i see another 1 full die but of whole different chip, though i believe we will see rx450 launched fairly soon, when they will finally have a decent stock of faulty P11 chips.

Is 460 confirmed P11?

Back