3 pin fan header max current ratings?

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
I've looked at the ATX standard and couldn't find anything nor does my motherboards manual mention it. I'm curious as to what the maximum amperage and voltage the 3 pin fan headers on the motherboards are capable of supplying. I just purchased a Danger Den DD-CPX1 pump (which uses the three pin connecter) and its rating of .5 amps got me wondering how much is too much?

Any tech heads out there know the answer?

I am pretty sure it depends on the board. Check their specs online?

I downloaded the manual specifically to look for the specifications but couldn't find anything.

It shouldn't depend on the board manufacturer - all of these type of things are regulated.

I don't believe that 12v/.5a should cause a problem but I would still feel more comfortable knowing the exact limits.

I downloaded the manual specifically to look for the specifications but couldn't find anything.

It shouldn't depend on the board manufacturer - all of these type of things are regulated.

I don't believe that 12v/.5a should cause a problem but I would still feel more comfortable knowing the exact limits.

Actually they are not regulated, although you are correct to assume 0.5A as most decent boards can output that much. Unless you intend to run monster fans most of them will only draw about 0.3A tops anyway.

Back