3 or 4tb Hard Drive WHSV1

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Can I use a 3Tb or4Tb hard drive on WHS v1 or is it a bad idea?

I just had a 2TB Samsung drive die on me and need to replace it tomorrow. I'm thinking about upgrading my server to WHS V2 or Windows Home Server Essentials.

The 2Tb drive isn't really any cheaper than a 3TB drive, so even if it does not format 3TB now that would be ok.

I have been procrastinating on upgrading due to having to move 12TB of data over somehow (not sure how I will pull it off yet but it will probably be crazy time consuming.)

Whs v1 won't natively recognise anything greater than 2TB.

There was a work around discussed a long time ago.
There was a limitation of the work around, but damned if i can remember it.

Whs v1 won't natively recognise anything greater than 2TB.

There was a work around discussed a long time ago.
There was a limitation of the work around, but damned if i can remember it.

But I could format the drive on my win7 PC for 2TB size right? Then pop it into the WHS and add to the array?

I believe you could use a >2TB drive in WHSv1, but the drive will be limited in available capacity.

that said, I have a five drive raid 6 array in my WHSv1 box. however, the array is not added to WHS

this is the console just after adding the raid 6 array to the box

WHSv2.3---Console+New5805.jpg

As someone who personally did the 3TB HDD hack with WHSv1, I don't recommend it unless you ABSOLUTELY must run WHSv1 w/ 3TB HDD's. It was such a pain in the ass, and the Server Console never reported proper drive size/free space afterwards. It showed the correct free space, but it thought the Drive was 212GB or something. Never did figure it out, because all registry hacks were exact as per the guide.

You can format a 3TB HDD on a Windows 7 machine and then use it on your WHSv1 box, but NOT in the pool (without the hack). The reason being, if you add a drive to the pool, WHSv1 will automatically reformat it.

Honestly, if you can, just stick to 2TB drives, or upgrade to WHS2011 + Flexraid or DrivePool. Much less hassle.

If you must use WHSv1 with the larger drives, then others have already posted the guide.

Ok, I'll just get a 2TB replacement drive until I can upgrade to WSE. I think It might be somethign else going on though, because now the 2TB drive shows up and an older 1TB Samsung drive is not being detected..

Damn I wish Samsung was still around, I have had bad luck with segate and WD in the past...

I guess I should just flip a coin to pick a new brand drive. Although I guess I'd lean towards WD.

Their Green drives seem to cause problems with streaming data in the storage pool (takes a few seconds for the drive to spin up when if streaming from multiple disks (I think that was the cause), and I don't think I need a red drive since it is not really raid. They don't make a blue drive anymore? Seems like a waste of a more power hungry black drive though.

With segate how can I tell which revision I am buying?
7200.11 7200.12 7200.14 etc

Can you turn on/off TLER on the Red drives? if so I might consider trying those.

Theres still some toshiba drive floating around, but they might just be re-baged segates?

Last edited:
I picked up a 2Tb drive but didn't realize it is an advanced format drive. For some reason I was thinking AF drives were only 3TB+ .

It is a Toshiba DT01ACA200 I guess this won't work either?

Back