3 Monitors?

delvryboy

2[H]4U
I don't game, so I'm not up on the newest things. Is it possible to extend the desk top to 3 monitors with the new ATI cards? Not stretch, but have 3 distinct desktops.

Currently I have a monitor on DVI, one on VGA, and my living room TV on HDMI. Currently, if someone wants to watch a movie in the living room, I lose my second monitor. I'd like to not have that happen if possible.

I'm not locked in with my monitor connections(DVI, VGA) as I'm grabbing a pair of 22's to replace my aging desktop.

You can but you need an active mini displayport to dvi adapter which goes for around $30 if the monitors do not have displayport already. Alternatively you can use a spare graphics card to power the third monitor.

I'd probably get monitors that have display port. So HDMI(TV), and 1 displayport, one DVI.

Would a 5770 work?

Yes that will work. I bought a dell with a display port and run my other two monitors on DVI, but it would be just as easy to run an HDMI to a tv or another monitor and use that instead. I have a 5770 and it will play pretty much everything I want it to, so yea, no problems there.

I was looking at a 5750 that has 2x DVI, 1 VGA, and 1 HDMI. Could I use 1 of each or the 2 DVI and 1 HDMI?

You can only use 2 legacy (non displayport) connectors on any standard ATI/nVidia card; the only exceptions are a handful of very expensive workstation cards.

Yeah, although displayport isn't inherently required unless you use eyefinity, you can only use two non-displayport connectors at once, so for three screens you'll still either need DP, or DP->DVI.

Got it. I'll definitely go that route since that is the whole reason for the upgrade.

You can but you need an active mini displayport to dvi adapter which goes for around $30 if the monitors do not have displayport already. Alternatively you can use a spare graphics card to power the third monitor.

If the one I get has displayport, not mini-displayport, that will work, yeah?

Yeah, mini-displayport to displayport still requires a dongle, but they do not require active power, it's just a cable adapter like any other, and they can be found pretty cheap (they do not come with the card)

Back