3 monitor help.

Freiya

Gawd
I am so confused and I can't seem to find much info on my question. I have a 290x crossfire setup. I have 1 monitor plugged into hdmi and one into dvi on the primary card. I would like to also plug my tv in as well. The problem is the primary card only has 1 hdmi slot and my monitor sucks and only has vga/hdmi so I had to try and plug the tv into the hdmi on the 2nd card.

This did not work. PC cannot view my tv plugged into the 2nd video card. So I'm assuming there is nothing I'm doing wrong and it's just not possible to have 2 displays on 1 gpu and 1 display on another. If thats the case and it's not possible. Does that mean I need an adapter to plug my hdmi monitor into the display port? and if so, do I need an active adapter or will passive be fine?

I'm NOT trying to do eyefinity or anything. I just am tired of switching cables whenever I want to watch movies or play games on the big screen instead of my main pc monitor. Would some type of HDMI splitter be my best bet?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I would leave the HDMI free for your TV. TV's typically run 1080P @ 60hz so over HDMI it should be fine. Monitors sometimes have different configurations e.g. 120hz, 144hz Dual link dvi needed 25x16 or 25x14.

Get displayport adapters or converters for your 2 monitors and run the tv off of HDMI.

You may do HDMI for the TV, use the monitors VGA and use the VGA to DVI dongle (usually comes with the card) for one montior and use a displayport adapter for the other monitor.

Active displayport adapters are required for;

120hz and above
resolutions above 1920x1080.

Anything below that refresh rate or 1080P or below can get away with a passive adapter.

If you want a specific configuration recommendation please list the 2 monitors and what outputs they have avaialble.

The other thing you can do until you get an adapter is disable crossfire when you want to run 3 monitors. The 2nd card's outputs will work when crossfire is turned off.

If you disable Crossfire when you want to use the monitor plugged into the second card. it will just work.
Lol.. Ninja posted above

If you are gaming on your TV, you may want to switch the TV to the main card.

If you must have two HDMI out on the main card, you can use a DP to HDMI adapter (If the DP port is able to output HDMI signal, then you can use a passive one. If not, then you must use an active one.)

The other option is to use a MST hub. That will allow you to run 3 screens off of the display port.

A DVI -> HDMI cable should also do the trick for you, assuming you've got 2x DVI, 1x DP and 1x HDMI on your card.

Back