3 GB Dual Channel

astolpho

Limp Gawd
I have a MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum SLI Motherboard and I originally had 2 X 512 OCZ Platinum DDR400 Enhanced Latency sims running in Dual Channel. I recently bought another dual channel kit 2 X 1GB OCZ Platinum Enhanced Latency sims. I would like to run them all and have 3 GB but not sure how to do that in dual channel. I tried 1GB 1GB 512MB 512MB but that severely degraded my memory performance as seen in the Windows Vista performance tests dropping from a score of 4.5 to 3.6 I removed the 2 512's ie. 1GB 1GB empty empty and my memory performance jumped up to 4.9 an improvement over my old 1GB configuration, but I'd still like to use it all if I could. Anyone know if this possible?

for dual channel, you use slots 1+3 or 2+4 in that board, right? that means slots 1&2 are channel A and 3&4 are channel B

use 1gb + 512mb in each channel, and it should do what you want it to

btw, promise to never use vista's benchmarking tool ever again, or i won't help you anymore. it is 100% worthless bullshit, with no real performance backing to it :p
check out things like sisoft sandra or everest if you want to run synthetic memory benchmarks :D

this will also depend on your motherboard, if you have the manual, that'd be the best place to go.

however, i get dual channel with 2x 512 and 2x 1gb by placing my sticks like this:

1gig 512mb 1gig 512mb

and i think it's best to place the bigger dimms first, not 100% on that one.

What might be happening, is that the actual memory speed setting (MHz) is being reduced by the MB when all DIMMs are populated because it is a harder load and the MB doesn't like it, or it could be the latencies (ns) are being loosened for the exact same reason.

As has been already mentioned, read the MB manual and use tools like CPU-Z and the SiSoft suite to see what is really going on. The Vista benchmark is not reliable when you change memory amounts, at least. Part of the score actually has to do with how much you have installed, not the performance. Not sure on the details. Seriously, use something else and see what is really going on.

Good luck!

I have a MB RS480M2-IL with 2x512Mb and I added recently 2x1Gb, all of the same brand PC3200 B400, but i can´t get bios or Win XP see my 3Gb. I ask for MSI support and they tell me that update my Bios, but it was already updated. I tried different combinations for my sticks, and almost all the times system doesn´t boot up, when boot up only see 2Gb.

When I install the sticks in dual channel (2x1Gb in blue slots & 2x512Mb in black slots) the system doesn´t boot up. :confused:

I´m seriously thinking to sell my 2x512Mb, because I can´t find a solution to make use of my 3Gb.

Anyone have a suggestion?

PD.- Sorry by my english (it isn´t my native language)

OP, did you ever get this figured out? I just bought another stick to put in my Neo4 Platinum and can't figure out how to get optimal settings.

Right now I have 2 x 512mb in slots DIMM 1 and 2 (Green and Purple)

Can you recommend what I should do as far as my new RAM configuration?

yes this can be done. infact a friend of mine just put 2X1gig in with his 2X512mb in a dell :p

Back