3-DS Metroid Samus Returns

$50 for a remake on a dying platform? Leave it to Nintendo to know how to price gouge.

For $30 I would be a lot more interested.

Im sorry, dying platform?

3DS is the strongest selling console to date, still selling better than ANY other console..... Nintendo has no plans of quitting support for it for quite a bit and a LONG list of games to come out to the end of the year and beyond, what crack you smoking?

3DS is the strongest selling console to date, still selling better than ANY other console..... Nintendo has no plans of quitting support for it for quite a bit and a LONG list of games to come out to the end of the year and beyond, what crack you smoking?
Wut? I don't even consider it a console but it no where near the best selling console to date. It barely higher then he PS4 with years of sales advantage. It probably will be phased out for something newer in the next 2 years cause it is 6 years old this year.

I agree with you except on the "strongest selling console" point. The 3DS has only averaged 6.1m units sold per year since being released. The Wii did about 14m and the original DS did about 21m a year during the same 7 year duration.

I don't agree with whateverer that it's dying, though. Software sales have no signs have ebbing and they just sold 7.27 million consoles last year, up 1.1 million compared to the year prior.

Wrong its not $50. There was no need for you to lie.

Most likely he is seeing the Special Edition pricing, which IS $50. He will just have to wait for the standard release title.

Most likely he is seeing the Special Edition pricing, which IS $50. He will just have to wait for the standard release title.

So what? I could easily buy the game from an eBay seller for $99.99. That doesn't mean "the game cost $99.99 for everybody" If you can buy the game from an authorized re seller on launch day for $40, then that's the price of the game.

So what? I could easily buy the game from an eBay seller for $99.99. That doesn't mean "the game cost $99.99 for everybody" If you can buy the game from an authorized re seller on launch day for $40, then that's the price of the game.

My reply wasn't against you ;) was in agreement.

I'm just stating, if hes complaining cause its $50, its because hes looking at the special edition most likely. The game isn't $50 from MSRP, so hes full of crock.

It's $32 from Amazon.. Couple that with the fact that after you beat it you can trade it in for $10-$20 it's pretty cheap to play.

Bumping this - The game is incredible. Well worth the money and I would say it's in my top 3 Metroid games which means it's generally one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Bumping this - The game is incredible. Well worth the money and I would say it's in my top 3 Metroid games which means it's generally one of the best platformers I've ever played.
I'm only about an hour in, but it's pretty solid so far. The level design is kind of disappointing at the moment. Mechanics are solid, but disappointed they restricted wall jumping again like they did in Fusion. Zero Mission is still the pinnacle of 2D Metroid design, in my opinion (Super is my favorite game in the series, though).

I got my hands on a Samus Edition 3DSXL at MSRP just for this game, too. :cool:

Hoping we get a totally new 2d metroid soon on the switch so it can be maxed out in graphics in 1080p 60fps! Maybe something that can top the legendary masterpiece that is super Metroid......prob not lol but something close

Hoping we get a totally new 2d metroid soon on the switch so it can be maxed out in graphics in 1080p 60fps! Maybe something that can top the legendary masterpiece that is super Metroid......prob not lol but something close
Doubt it will happen. Prime 4 going to be coming out on the switch. Don't expect a true 2D Metroid even on the DS. They going to be this 2.5D crap from now on. Am I the only one that finds 2.5D games to look like ass? Not just Metroid but any game. I would love well done 2D games again.

I agree but on switch or a more powerful machine they could make it look alot better and less polygonal. I'd also rather 2d like super Metroid or amr2 but x10 graphics but who knows what will happen in the future. I don't care for prime 4 so I'm hoping if samus returns does well nintendo sees there's still a huge market for 2d metroid side scrollers and we get an all new world, enemies, items,storyline in the next one

Doubt it will happen. Prime 4 going to be coming out on the switch. Don't expect a true 2D Metroid even on the DS. They going to be this 2.5D crap from now on. Am I the only one that finds 2.5D games to look like ass? Not just Metroid but any game. I would love well done 2D games again.

I would much prefer properly hand-drawn 2D graphics to 2.5D any day of the week. However, in all fairness, I have seen some decent implementations of the latter. I would absolutely love a new, proper 2D Metroid on the Switch. That would get me to buy a Switch tomorrow. (I'm getting one anyway, but haven't felt rushed about it at all. That would make me rush.)

I would recommend Axiom Verge on Steam for those wanting a new 2D Metroid though. In some ways I even like it better than Super Metroid.

Jerk r you kidding? ! Axiom verge better than the masterpiece that is super Metroid? ! I've watched videos and it just looks to spritey pretty much Nes graphics

Jerk r you kidding? ! Axiom verge better than the masterpiece that is super Metroid? ! I've watched videos and it just looks to spritey pretty much Nes graphics

No. Not kidding. Yes, Super Metroid is a masterpiece, but even though it's still completely excellent today, I find Axiom Verge a bit better in some ways. "Spritey?!?!?" What do you think the SNES used? You'd really need to actually play it to understand I suppose. It's beyond polished, the music is catchy, there is a really wide array of weapons and types of weapons, addons, etc. The graphics may look somewhere between NES and SNES just from an aesthetic point of view, but the things actually going on, boss sizes, scrolling, animation, etc. I actually give the edge to AV. The controls are spot on as well. If you were on the fence because of a couple of videos, I'd highly recommend picking it up. Also, aside from the typical secrets that a Metroid game would have this one goes beyond that with the glitch gun and drill. I won't talk to much about that, but it's really cool. Anyway, definitely stand by what I said.

What I meant was it looks more like nes graphics than super Nes...I guess if it looked more super Nes I'd be more interested...

What I meant was it looks more like nes graphics than super Nes...I guess if it looked more super Nes I'd be more interested...

I get what you mean. Once again, I would just suggest actually playing it. The color palette choices are definitely somewhere between NES and SNES. Actually they remind me more of something like Legendary Axe on the TurboGrafx 16. However, the sheer amount of sprites, the sizes of the bosses, the actual special effects, the amount of frames of animation, and attention to small details, push this beyond anything most 16 bit consoles could have produced. The only thing that could come close IMO might have been the Neo Geo maybe.

I can see that maybe the overall color and background art aesthetic might not be for everyone. However, if we're just trying to assign a level of technology that this would run on, it wouldn't be any of the mainstream 16 bit consoles. It would take something with a lot more memory, more scrolling playfields, something with a very large palette overall, a huge amount of small sprites, or a decent amount of large sprites, and some top quality (prohibitively so for the 16 bit era) sound hardware.

I covered the gameplay above, so I won't get into that. I think you'd find that once you'd played it far enough to see a boss, gain a couple of weapons and skills, that you'd actually grow to appreciate even the visuals. I LOVE Super Metroid. LOVE it. However, there is just so much to like with AV. Honestly I could see anyone leaning toward either one, and if nostalgia is playing a part, probably toward Metroid, but I can say with some degree of confidence, that if you every liked ANY 2D metroid (or even Castlevania) then you should absolutely love Axiom Verge.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to sell the game. It's really just that I enjoyed it that much. It would be a shame in my mind if someone didn't give it a try that was into this type of game.

That said, if you want something REALLY REALLY impressive in something resembling the CastleTroid genre... check out Sundered.

Axiom Verge isn't as polished as Super Metroid. So, it's kinda odd that it's getting compared. It's a good modern take, but it just isn't as polished. You can inadvertently miss an item that makes a boss possible to beat. That isn't so in Super Metroid. You'd have to use some serious advanced techniques to bypass the game's design.

A lot of the newer Metroidvania games are more freeform in this aspect, but by doing so, their design becomes less polished.

Back