3 cheapest, decent lcds for surround?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,959
Tired of my crt. It is losing brightness and color. I have a 37" lcd that does ok but really want to go 3 monitor surround for bf3. I have the horsepower. 2500k at 4.4 and 560 2GB SLI w/ 8 gb sys ram and an SSD.

What lcd should I get? I don't care if it is 19" so long as it is responsive and clean looking.

Thanks
 
I'm not sure what models to recommend, but if you are running dual 560s, I would try to go with something in the 1600x900 resolution.

BF3 is a beast even with dual 480s or 580s (even if I turn the detail down do it's not hitting the VRAM wall) at 5760x1080

I think you are likely to be disappointed with BF3 in surround, but on the other hand, a lot of other games should run very well.

Bad Company 2
Skyrim (maybe)
Deus Ex
Guild Wars 2 (probably)
Any Valve engine game
 
Way do you not buy a big 2560×1440 screen the lines between the monitors would bug me a lot.
 
Way do you not buy a big 2560×1440 screen the lines between the monitors would bug me a lot.

Surround gaming is awesome! The bezels are nor a big deal at all after you get accustomed to it.
To the OP, if I were I have your boat I would look for (3) 20-22" 1680*1050 monitors, the 16*10 ratio is tailor made for surround, IMO, and will require a bit less horsepower than 1080p monitors. If you are OK playing on high (instead of ultra) settings in most games, and with little or no AA
 
I would buy a large monitor if I had this thing called money. However, my wife has been in school for 3 years now and yeah. We used to be pretty well off......

So, I need to look for 20" which is what I thought. I had 3 Acer 20" but the damn blur/lag with a single 5870 made me sick and I sold them in order to upgrade the rest of my system. Those monitors were sluggish imo.

I guess I should hunt around the fs then.
 
Try getting Dell 2209wa's, they run at 76Hz with a custom driver. They are ips, 16:10, and 1680x1050.
 
PLEASE do not go the cheap route. I got 3 HP S2031's for $68 each and while the image quality is alright, but the ghosting is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE and absolutely kills the experience. Eyefinity really is something, but if you don't have the money to get decent panels, don't bother.
 
Maybe you should buy 1 nice screen, like the 2560x1440 27" suggested, then 2 more when your budget improves? Otherwise 20" 4:3 1600x1200 refurbs might do it.
 
At that price your only option to get something good is the used market. Look for some older Dell IPS panels like the 2005fpw.
 
Allrighty then. The turtle technique it is. I will creep on this project and get one at a time.

Slow and low that is the tempo.
 
Back
Top