3 cables modems

Trekerboy

Limp Gawd
Hi guys/gals,

Need some advice here.

I live in a fraternity house that will soon be switching out thier 1 DSL line for 3 cable modem lines and 3 cable modems.

Currently we have 17 x wireless-g APs -> hp procurve switch -> d-link router (I know, I know) -> Cable Modem

The other 2 modems and lines will be installed this coming monday and we already have two additional routers.

Currently we are planning on 3 cable modems -> 3 routers (1 for each modem) -> hp procurve switch -> 17 x wireless-g APs. Then configuring 1/3 of the clients to use a modem, 1/3 to use the other and the last 1/3 to use the other...

Configuring everyone is going to be a pain, I'm looking for an easier way.

My question:

"What other options do I have to divide bandwidth between 3 modems for users?"

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

get a box with one of the nice intel quad 10/100 nics....3 modems plug into it, one interface plugs into hp switch....you setup box with either linux or *bsd to do load balancing....should work

or

if you arent up for that, i dont know if theres an easy way to make things work right with 3 cheap (soho) routers...

out of curiosity, why are you getting 3 cable modems and getting rid of dsl?

draconius said:
get a box with one of the nice intel quad 10/100 nics....3 modems plug into it, one interface plugs into hp switch....you setup box with either linux or *bsd to do load balancing....should work

or

if you arent up for that, i dont know if theres an easy way to make things work right with 3 cheap (soho) routers...

Good solution. I have Dual Digital Cable modems running through a Xincom Twin Wan router, I get about 2 megs/down and 512kb/up. Although Xincom has some problems load balancing is really good.

I agree with draconis. a linux box with 1 or two 4-port nics in it doing load balancing would work nicely.

it would also be your cheapest solution. With a little work, you could also do content filtering, ad blocking, and a cacheing web proxy (squid). Not to mention you can use a very low end machine for the job...like a Pentium 75.

The linux box in my sig can do load balancing as well. I have 4 seperate network cards in it though instead of a single 4-port card.

most soho routers will only utilize 2 wan connections and do the load balancing between them. I know the higher end Cisco boxes will do load balancing with more wan ports...we have one at work with 3 DS3's coming in.

draconius said:

We are getting rid of DSL becuase our phone line has too much "noise" on it to maintain a link. We had about 50% uptime. Thanks for all the suggestions!

versello said:
I've got one at work (replaced a T1 to the internet) for surfing. I'm not that happy with it. I found it doesn't like SurfBoard 3100 or 4100 cable modems. It's auto sensing ports are very poor quality and caused most of the problems.

The firmware is buggy and keeps changing (removing features!!!!).

I'm cutting a Purchase Order for the linksys router today. I have six SB3100 cable modems that I will be Load Balancing to Comcast. Much better than two.

Thanks guys you've been a great help. I ended up buying and installing the edimax solution. It works great!

Back