• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3/8" Worm Clamps? Where?!

oakfox

n00b
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
42
Ok this is probably COMPLETELY n00b.... but I've spec'd out my entire rig and WC setup and have come down to this really stupid question. I want to use stainless steel worm-drive hose clamps but I am working with a 3/8" setup. For some stupid reason most WC retailers only sell plastic clamps (which I've heard to avoid) and the only place I can find steel worm clamps is Petra's Tech Shop:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ststwohocl.html

Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp
Band Width: 5/16"
Clamp ID Range: 1/2"-29/32" (13-23mm)
Band Materiel: Type 301 Stainless Steel
Screw Materiel: Zinc-Plated Steel
Suggested Use: 1/2" ID or 7/16" ID Tubing

so 3/8 = 6/16"... so Im in between the band width (5/16") and the suggested minimal use of 7/16". What should I use? Is there a place I can find clamps for 3/8" tubing? I imagine Home Depot or somewhere carries them, but this is VERY important to not mess up so I wanted to ask in here first. Sorry for being a n00b :O
 
5407K57
Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamp W/Safety Screw 3/8" To 7/8" Clamp Id Range, 9/16" Band

Is this the right one? That site is overwhelming! yowza.


edit: errr I suppose I should get this one since I should look at the 1/2" OD of the tubing, right.

5407K58
Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamp W/Safety Screw 7/16" To 1" Clamp Id Range, 9/16" Band Width

??
 
What is the outer diameter of your tubing? Some 3/8" tubing is 1/2" outer diameter, others are 5/8" outer diameter. Notice how the clamps are listed by their inner diameter, this needs to match up to the outer diameter of the tubing. Also keep in mind that the tubing will be stretched over a fitting so it will likely be even fatter than what its outer diameter says.

All things considered, if your 3/8" tubing is 5/8" outer diameter those clamps from petra should work just fine.

The clamps from petra are mcmaster # 5388K17, the next size down is # 5388K16.

EDIT: Your looking at clamps with a band width of 9/16" which is pretty large, the ones I have listed above have a band width of 5/16" which is the same as the ones that petra sells.
 
Thanks a ton for the clarification. Its funny that this is the most confusing part of watercooling.. oh well.

The tubing Im getting is the Tygon Anti-Kink 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) Tubing from FrozenCPU.com

so I suppose I'm going with the one size down.
 
Go to Home Depot. That's where I got mine. Just ask for stainless steel hose clamps and get the smallest available size. I think that's 1/2 in.
 
Blown 89 said:
Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Autozone.....everyone has them.

The clamps they had at Home Depot were ridiculously expensive, like 1$ a clamp, and on top of that they were incredibly filthy. I would much rather spend 4.50 + shipping for 10 and have them come to me clean.
 
Erasmus354 said:
The clamps they had at Home Depot were ridiculously expensive, like 1$ a clamp, and on top of that they were incredibly filthy. I would much rather spend 4.50 + shipping for 10 and have them come to me clean.
I paid 17 cents each for them at Ace and they were in decent shape. I never buy that type of stuff at Home Depot anyway.
 
I use them on my 3/8", you want the small ones - max they go is 5/8" they are like 70 cents at a local hardware store here
 
Back
Top