• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

3.5mm mini stereo switch

vexeus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
495
Here is what I'd like to do:

computer audio > headphones AND/OR computer speakers AND/OR receiver...
...with microphone feed through if possible ;)

Something similar to this: http://electronicsusa.com/mk5.html

However I'd like to add one more output (and maybe change the microphone output to 1/4" instead of 1/8"), and be able to select any, all, or none of the outputs to be on at any time, not just one of the three outputs.

Does anyone know where I could find such a device, or possibly know how to go about building one? :D I'd prefer if it looked nice, and I don't think I could get something like this to look nice if I buy it from a store. Black anoidized aluminum would be a plus, since it would match my setup nicely.
 
I'd have to unplug them when I don't want them to be on, which is a hassle when I have to find the cord again to plug it back in. I'd prefer to just be able to reach over, hit a button, and get the desired result. Laziness really. :p
 
vexeus said:
I'd have to unplug them when I don't want them to be on, which is a hassle when I have to find the cord again to plug it back in. I'd prefer to just be able to reach over, hit a button, and get the desired result. Laziness really. :p

You'd have to unplug them? I have a power button on my computer speakers which would suffice. Your reciever would have a power button/volume control... And for headphones it wouldn't really matter would it?
 
It would matter if I didn't want my headphones on (why have them running when I'm not using them, especially since the only volume control for my headphones / computer speakers is through the sound card), my receiver is not by my computer (and I would need to use the remote for that, which becomes more of a pain if it's not at my computer desk), and my computer speakers are built into my monitor and don't have an auto mute unless I go through the OSD (using crappy LCD monitor speakers for when I want to listen to the computer without headphones, but have my HDTV or something going through my receiver to my good speakers). Hence why I want the switch.

Anyone on the actual switch?
 
Well either way you will physically have to switch your output right?

Again this could be done by having a line out run all the way to the point where you would have put this switch box. At this point you attach a 3way splitter.

Is it that much more difficult to unplug and/or plug in a mini jack than just using a switch?
 
Well for my purposes, I would like a switch instead of a splitter. Anyone know where to find a 3 way split or how to go about building one?
 
vexeus said:
Well for my purposes, I would like a switch instead of a splitter. Anyone know where to find a 3 way split or how to go about building one?

LOL ok, well GL then.
 

4-Way Audio/Video Selector Switch


NXG (NX-0223) 6.6-Ft. Y-Cable 3.5mm Stereo to 2 RCA plugs
Use this to connect to your switch box to your sound card.

6-Ft. Stereo Patch Cable, Dual-RCA Plugs to Dual RCA Plugs
Use these to plug into your comptuer speakers (many comptuer speakers have an RCA input so I am assuming yours have as well). Also use these to plug your switchbox into your receiver.


As far as I know these switchboxes are bidirection meaning that if you plug your input into the output you will accomplish what you are setting out to do.

In my oppinion the best option here is to scrap the computer speakers and only use the receiver and just amp the headphones from the receiver but that's your call I don't know what you have setup. This whole thing may be cost more money than it's worth.
 
personally I would just find an old reciever somewhere.. much more flexibility.
 
A receiver is a bit too big for what I'm looking for, and I'd prefer not to deal with all the 3.5mm > RCA adapters as well. I'm kinda liking the idea of integrating a headphone amp into it as well, so I'm pretty sure I just cut down my product search by a lot and probably have to go and design one myself. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
 
Back
Top