• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

3.5mm audio switch.

xellos2099alpha

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
1,733
Hi, I am wondering if anyone here know of switch that would allow me to switch between between 2 3.5mm stereo source, namely a ps3 and a 360. I was trying to connect both to a 5.1 speaker of mine with 3.5mm audio cable that was design for one source and 2 output but the audio was really low so I know that was not it.

Can anyone recommend me a cheap solution?
 
Cheapest solution involves a soldering iron and a quick Mouser.com order.

Here's one that's still relatively cheap and should do. FYI it doesn't matter on a passive switch whether you're going 1x input 2x output or 2x input to 1x output...it's still connecting the two ports in question.

http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html
 
Why not? OP said he was looking for a cheap solution.

Well for starters, you're connecting each source as a load to the other, even assuming you never screw up and turn both on at once...it's a bad idea at best.

A switch does much the same thing, but it only allows one of the select terminals to be connected to the fixed terminal at a time. Thus, you still get a 1:1 input to output connection. A $0.50 solution that barely works and can potentially damage your equipment isn't worth it.
 
I'd be willing to bet it would work w/o any negatives. I wouldn't want to spend $20 to fix a $0.50 problem. I've had multiple devices hooked up to the line input of my soundcard in the past. I was using 2 x 1/4" TS to dual RCA cables though to get audio from a cheap stereo and keyboard into my computer.

Actually - 1 negative. Having a bunch of cables everywhere looked stupid.

Good luck OP.
 
Back
Top