3.4c @ 4.25 woot!

Well, it'll post at 4.25

I'm getting it to run 3dmark05 at 4.11ghz

I have to admit that I'm cheating though and using my watercooling setup with the window open

If only I had better ram and no voltage droop, i might be able to get some higher speeds out of this baby

Nice overclock indeed. What is your 3dmark05 score with your x800pro and cpu at 4.11ghz?

No benches other than 3dmark05

The purpose of my little exercise was to see how high I could get my CPU for the sake of running 3dmark.

I didn't bother with sandra or pcmark to see if it would be stable for weeks on end at a given speed.

Anyway, 3dmark was around 6250 with my 12-pipe x800pro at 648/652 on water.

Load temps on my cpu were only 67f and gpu was 17c

So wait, you're not going to keep it at 4.25? If you are don't forget to Prime95 it.

I'm wondering if there is really any increase to be had with a phase change unit.

My temps are already low and I'm thinking that phase change will only lower my temps and not increase my OC

Can anyone confirm that thought?

FaRKle0079 said:
So wait, you're not going to keep it at 4.25? If you are don't forget to Prime95 it.

Nope, see my second post. I really was just gunning for higher 3dmarks. This was a one-off deal and unless I go to phase change cooling, I wont be running prime

And for those that care:

6237.jpg

bubblethumper said:
I'm wondering if there is really any increase to be had with a phase change unit.

My temps are already low and I'm thinking that phase change will only lower my temps and not increase my OC

Can anyone confirm that thought?

Nope, see my second post. I really was just gunning for higher 3dmarks. This was a one-off deal and unless I go to phase change cooling, I wont be running prime

And for those that care:

6237.jpg

No - lower temps mean increased electrical conductivity, which means a better possible overclock. You should get at least another 200-300Mhz from it with phase change.

Also note - 3dmark05 is relatively independednt of CPU speed. Much more GPU limited. Run 3dmark2001 if you want to see good system score benchmark numbers.

It's also highly resolution dependent. I can get in the 6K range with an unrealistic res, but if I bring it all the way up to native (2560 x 1600) that drops to about 1500. That's with a highly OCed Quadro FX 3400 (350 -> 460, RAM 0.9 -> 1.25) and a P4 3.4 @ 4.088.

Arseface said:
No - lower temps mean increased electrical conductivity, which means a better possible overclock. You should get at least another 200-300Mhz from it with phase change.

Also note - 3dmark05 is relatively independednt of CPU speed. Much more GPU limited. Run 3dmark2001 if you want to see good system score benchmark numbers.

Arseface said:

Yeah, I know 2001 would have been better. Hmmm phase change or FX-55? Same price really.

Though i'm starting to get scared of my koolance at times. I think I'm just running too restrictive a system with too much volume for it's wussy little pump.

bubblethumper said:
Yeah, I know 2001 would have been better. Hmmm phase change or FX-55? Same price really.

Though i'm starting to get scared of my koolance at times. I think I'm just running too restrictive a system with too much volume for it's wussy little pump.

i think the koolance is a great solution for just cpu cooling, mixing in a gpu block is pushing that system a bit too much for what your trying accomplish. I have never even entertained the thought of cooling both the cpu and gpu with my exos.

Nexx said:
i think the koolance is a great solution for just cpu cooling, mixing in a gpu block is pushing that system a bit too much for what your trying accomplish. I have never even entertained the thought of cooling both the cpu and gpu with my exos.

I couldn't agree more. The exos is a GREAT way to "get your feet wet" in watercooling without getting into too much trouble.

It was a great product for me to learn on, but I'm ready to move on.

I've got a Danger Den setup in the mail with 1/2" tubing and all that jazz. It should be interesting to see what happens to my temps and OCs. My koolance will go over to my "mediabox" pc to make it a bit more quiet.

Back