3.4 ghz ceiling on Core i7 920

atomiccow

n00b
I can't manage to get my Core i7 920 past 3.4 ghz, that's 170 on BCLK with the locked 20X multiplier, on my DFI X58 Jr T3H6. The voltage is default on 1.2 at 3.4 ghz with VTT and DRAM voltage on stock as well. Everything is stable at 3.4 but the second I put the BCLK even I hz over 170, it will fail to post. I've tried increasing core, VTT, and DRAM voltage and decreasing memory and uncore multiplier as well. No matter what I do, it seems something is capping it at 3.4 ghz.

Can anyone help me with this?

You need to increase the CPU voltage. It takes my 920 1.25V to be stable at 3.6 and 1.35V at 3.8.

a few things(not sure if they are the same on the dfi as the asus)

turn load line to enable
turn off hyperthreading
turn off cpu spread spectrum
turn off ce1
turn off speed step

under clock your ddr3 to make sure it is not the issue

you can change the multiplier lower just not higher. for example I have ddr1600 so I run 19x200 for 3.8 and a ddr3 speed of 1608 @ 1.65 v (XMT profile)

Not sure why eveybody says to turn off HT. Sure it may give you better overclocks, but not to the point of what HT being on helps.

Get onto a 19x multi with your 920. And you're going to need some voltage increases.

Not sure why eveybody says to turn off HT. Sure it may give you better overclocks, but not to the point of what HT being on helps.

because it does pretty much nothing and boosts your temps by 10-15 degrees C,

and in the case of some single threaded stuff can hinder performance becuase of the way it half's cpus to get you virtual cores.

I dunno gimmick - do a some googles searches on ht and i7 - I think xibit labs did a side by side with turbo on ht on and both - they tested apps from cinebench to lightray to games and office apps.

The overall conclusion was 0% increase to a -1% increase with HT enabled.

Probably more than anything else it is the gee wiz I got 8 cores factor. The simple fact you can turn it off in the bios, should tell you a little.

when an app is multithreaded and 8 threads are going across 8 cores then yes HT is more efficient - but for gaming, daily use and defiantly for over clocking HT is a burden. If less than 8 threads are going the processor scheduling becomes, funky. Smarter people than me have tested all this stuff - but if you plan to hit high over clocks an I7 I would suggest HT off.

From ixbtlabs

Despite its new reincarnation, Hyper-Threading is still as controversial as in times of NetBurst. This technology yields zero performance gains according to our overall score (rounded), even though some tests demonstrate significant performance gains or drops. The reasons are lying on the surface: it's not easy to optimize software for virtual multiprocessing. What concerns Intel, this company abandoned this field, having rolled out truly multi-core processors -- and software developers immediately followed suit. To all appearances, Hyper-Threading is being revived now. However, developers already accumulated negative experience -- HT had been actively advertised at first, and then it was forgotten because of more popular market tendencies. So those developers, who have already mastered this technology in its first reincarnation, will hardly welcome the revival of HT.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/ci7-turbo-ht-p2.html

turn off hyperthreading= HELL NO killing performance in the long run
Not GAMING; video encodeing
VTT must go up for some batch processors to BCLK high
load line can burn you processor if it spikes

turn off hyperthreading= HELL NO killing performance in the long run
Not GAMING; video encodeing
VTT must go up for some batch processors to BCLK high
load line can burn you processor if it spikes

only on smp optimized encoding, check the results h,264 smp optimized - yeah it got a 21% boost, You know what? if I run the avivo .264 ecoder it smokes my cpu (or the cuda based one).

50% of what I do with my pc is using clone dvd mobile to convert my movies to play either on my zune or ps3 - maybe...MAYBE 1-2 seconds faster on the h.264 encoding from dvd (and that is going from a disc to ripped and encoded movie about - 9 mins).

if you take 50 apps I use from browsers to email to office and games and can prove 90% of them run as fast and sometimes faster with HT off...and it gives me a better overclock? I'm turning it off. If you bought your i7 to do cinebench and raytracing? why are you overclocking to being with?

a few things(not sure if they are the same on the dfi as the asus)

turn load line to enable
turn off hyperthreading
turn off cpu spread spectrum
turn off ce1
turn off speed step

under clock your ddr3 to make sure it is not the issue

you can change the multiplier lower just not higher. for example I have ddr1600 so I run 19x200 for 3.8 and a ddr3 speed of 1608 @ 1.65 v (XMT profile)

Okay I get everything on there except ce1 and speed step. It does not effect your OC and it saves you power and heat by throttling down the CPU on idle. Why would you want to turn that off?

Mind explaining to me what load line is? I don't see such an option in my DFI bios.

LLC=Load Line Calibration

It's ASUS' way of attempting to battle the dreaded VDroop. Some boards it works, others... not so much.

Okay I get everything on there except ce1 and speed step. It does not effect your OC and it saves you power and heat by throttling down the CPU on idle. Why would you want to turn that off?

I don't like the upsy down of the mhz - personal pref I guess. My idle tems are 43 C so meh...

Back