3.2C or 3.4E?

Lindy01

n00b
I have a choice right now of a 3.2C or a 3.4E. I wont be overclocking so that is not a concern for me. I have a new intel D875BZ whatever mother board and a Antec case and 400WPS from Antec.

I also have a 6800GT from PNY with a NV5 on it. I currently have a 2.8C and want to basicallly max out my PC with either the 3.2C or 3.4E and let it ride until I have to basically replace everything in a year or so for PCIE/DDR2/775 or whatever is the best at that time.

Same price for both.......my concerns are heat and power. A friend of mine has basically the same setup with a 3.4E and his idle temps are 47C and load temps after playing UT2004 for in a windows for 30min are 61-64C. He is using a Zalaman 70000ALCU with some artic silver stuff....same case and mobo as me. I dont know if that is high...for a E cpu but it is alot higher than my 2.8 that maxes out at about 47-50C doing the same thing.

Suggestions please!!!! Thanks much in advance.

Lindy01 said:
Same price for both.......my concerns are heat and power. A friend of mine has basically the same setup with a 3.4E and his idle temps are 47C and load temps after playing UT2004 for in a windows for 30min are 61-64C. He is using a Zalaman 70000ALCU with some artic silver stuff....same case and mobo as me. I dont know if that is high...for a E cpu but it is alot higher than my 2.8 that maxes out at about 47-50C doing the same thing.

are you guys using the same motherboard. If not then that would explain it. http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_01.html

PsychoZX said:
are you guys using the same motherboard. If not then that would explain it. http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_01.html

Yes same motherboard, same case and powersupply, same video card. I currently have a 2.8C and he has a 3.4E.

Basically it comes down to get the max for my rig/mobo 3.4E and worry about heat/power/stability or get the 3.2C and run slower but not worry about heat/power/stability. His system seems to run fine but isnt 61-64C a bad thing?

I have read reviews that say with folding home or whatever its called these prescotts get as hot as 77C......but then I have read in these forums that it will shut its self down when it gets to 70C????

Lindy01 said:
No, I want stability, and Intel boards dont overclock.

well in that case, i would get the 3.2c, because prescotts dont really spread their wings till 3.6, and c's are faster than e's at the same clock speed, and there will probably be very little difference between 3.4e and 3.2c

I've got a 3.0C and a 3.0E and I've run both at 3.42GHz and they tie almost exactly in all my benchmarks.

Around 3.6GHz the Prescott would pull ahead. a 3.4E should outrun a 3.2C in most situations or tie it up at stock speeds. If you game then the 3.4E is definatley going to be faster at the bulk of the games.

Now, this is from my standpoint so someone correct me if im wrong. As far as I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods do. So from a overclocking stand point I would go with the C. But you had stated earlier that you dont want to oc your chip. So, choice is you can grab the 3.4e for the same price and come out with 200 mhz more, or you could go with the 3.2c for any chance down the line that you might want to do a nice overclock. Happy picking my friend.

Sedriss said:
Now, this is from my standpoint so someone correct me if im wrong. As far as I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods do. So from a overclocking stand point I would go with the C. But you had stated earlier that you dont want to oc your chip. So, choice is you can grab the 3.4e for the same price and come out with 200 mhz more, or you could go with the 3.2c for any chance down the line that you might want to do a nice overclock. Happy picking my friend.

The Northwoods do run hotter. But if you can overcome the heat they OC like hell. Typical OC results are better with Prescott than Northwood. The new core scales better with clock increases than Northwood.

But at stock speeds the Northwood will always be superior if the clock speed is the same. With the exception of the 3.6GHz plus chips which are all Prescott's anyway.

But evne though the Prescott is a little hotter and a little slower per clock I'd think that the Prescott will be slightly faster than the Northwood due to the 200MHz increase between the 3.2C and the 3.4E.

The bennifit with the Prescott is that they are in some games just a bit faster than Northwood. As a result I'd say go Prescott.

Thanks much everyone. I went with the 3.4E today. Its in now, and it was a decent boost over my 2.8C.

Thanks again!!

Ok a update. I had the 3.4E since 10/21. It worked well but is was very hot, 44C idle and 56-61C under load, even peaked once at 64C.

I have a Zalman 7000 ALCU with AS5 grease. I have a Antec SLK3700-BQE case with two 120mm fans, very quiet rig with the mobo slowing down the fans when temps are low.

Anyhow the guy I buy these CPU's from owns a little computer store....I do contract work for many different places and I use his shop for most hardware purchases. He is big into Intel CPU's and mobos...and I think they are very stable so the relationship works out well. So today I was at his place and told him about the heat and all. So he gave me a 3.2C (he cant get many 3.4C's anymore) to try out and see if I liked it better.

Well I have it in now and after testing it runs at 31C idle, and 46C, after 20min of UT2004 single player death match with 15 bots. HUGE difference in heat, and zero difference in performance...that I could notice.

Needless to say he will be getting the 3.4E back. It did not run bad, but with my 6800GT the two sucked alot of power, and produced a ton of heat. I was thinking about updgrading my Antec 400W Power supply to be on the safe side with the 3.4E. I guess it was a comfort thing more than anything else.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back