• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3.1 with M-Audio AV40?

BigJayDogg3

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
1,678
Is this possible? Is it something I should really want?

At current I have a set of AV40s paired with a sub I already had. Pretty good for the price I paid. However, I recently ran into a bit of an issue. When I play something that is in 5.1, I get no voice output since that is supposed to come out of the center channel. I could set the option in Windows to lack the center channel, but then every time I want to use my headphones with Dolby Surround, I'd have to go back into the Windows options and change it back in addition to going into the Asus control panel to enable Dolby Surround. Kind of a pain.

The obvious solution would be to get a center channel, but I hail from the world of car audio where mixing speakers all willy nilly isn't looked upon favorably.

So to the [H] community, am I over analyzing this? Is there an option I'm missing that will override the lack of a center channel? I'm aware of the option in Windows to delete the optional speaker. Should I buy a cheap center channel speaker and a T-amp?

The center channel would only really see use when I'm either watching movies and occasionally during gaming. Music listening would happen either solely on the M-Audios or headphones if that makes a difference.
 
i'd recommend a better sound card or receiver setup to drive the audio configuration. it is possible on most receivers to run 2.1 or 4.1 speaker setups effectively eliminating the center speaker. try not to get a different speaker model than your AV40 as the sound will suffer and the illusion of panning will be lost.

personally, if you are the only one really enjoying your computer's sound, why bother with a center channel at all? the whole point of a center channel is to anchor dialog and sound to the center of the screen, which makes sense for a home theatre setup where people may sit throughout the room, not just in the middle, though for a computer, you are probably sitting right in front of the monitor, so no need to anchor sound there.
 
Back
Top