3.0Ghz Prescott Stability Issues.HELP!!!

CappyCobra

Weaksauce
3.0Ghz Prescott Stability Issues

Obi-wan's of HardOCP, I need your help! I'm at my wits end as I've tried all I can think of. It's seems that even when my machine is fairly idle (such as browsing the forums) causes my browser to crash. When I'm doing CPU intensive operations (such as encoding an AVI to DVD Spec), my PC will reboot.

My System Specs:

CPU:3.0Ghz/800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache (Prescott)
Heatsink:ThermalRight SLK948U (Solid Copper)
Fan on HS:92mm Vantec Tornado (4600RPM)(Blowing air TWORDS CPU)
RAM:(2) 512MB GEIL DDR 400 6-3-3 (Rated settings)
Motherboard:ECS 848-PA (Ver 1.0) (Yes I know it's a crap motherboard, but until I can get this current issue resolved, I'm not buying a new one)
PSU:ThermalTake W0010 Silent Purepower 480W
VideoCard:ATi AIW Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Optical Drives:
Pioneer DVD-303R SCSI (Paired w/ Adaptec AIC-7850 Controller)
Pioneer DVR-108
HDD's
Maxtor 2B020H1 20GB (System Drive)
Maxtor 6Y160P0 160GB
Maxtor 6Y250P0 250GB
1.44MB Floppy
Fans:
In: (1) 120mm
Out: (3) 80mm (one of which is DIRECTLY next to the CPU blowing air out of the case)

IDLE TEMPS: Measured in Celcius (Via CPUCool)
Sensor1: 31
Sensor2: 47.5
Sensor3: 46.5
Sensor4: 50.5 (I believe this is the CPU core temp)

I'm sure the proc heats up to somewhere around 70C during CPU intensive tasks, but I have no way of logging this. If anyone knows of a program that does please advise.

Did you buy that cpu+mobo combo at frys? I did the same thing because noone in their right minds would want that motherboard :p . Anyways to your problem, I run the same cpu and mobo setup and my temps are far about 10c lower than what you have shown. If your cpu runs at that idle you might want to check how you mounted the HSF. I run a stock hsf and I way better temps than that. From the looks you got a good system to cool the prescott, the problem might be that its not mounted right thats all. The powersupply seems to be good enough for that because I run 2hdds and 2 optical drives along with 5 fans on my 350Watt Antec psu. Unless you want to check the voltages that are being given off the psu at load. One way to check your load temps would be to get motherboard monitor but this is only accurate to certain degree.

Ollin said:
Did you buy that cpu+mobo combo at frys? I did the same thing because noone in their right minds would want that motherboard :p . Anyways to your problem, I run the same cpu and mobo setup and my temps are far about 10c lower than what you have shown. If your cpu runs at that idle you might want to check how you mounted the HSF. I run a stock hsf and I way better temps than that. From the looks you got a good system to cool the prescott, the problem might be that its not mounted right thats all. The powersupply seems to be good enough for that because I run 2hdds and 2 optical drives along with 5 fans on my 350Watt Antec psu. Unless you want to check the voltages that are being given off the psu at load. One way to check your load temps would be to get motherboard monitor but this is only accurate to certain degree.

How'd you guess it was from Fry's? ;)

As I stated in the OP, the heatsink is mounted using the baseplate that goes on the underside of the motherboard. The screws that go into the plate that secure the heatsink are tension screws that will not tighten further to a certain point to prevent from crushing the core.

My buddy stated that I may want to fall back on normal IDE cables vs rounded ones. I did notice that a DVD burner I had data verification problems stopped having these after I transfered the drive to my GF's Dell. I may have to try this tonight.

I'll let you know if it helps (at least when it's idling)

I had this other cooler that had a baseplate that went on the underside of the mobo too. It was the DP102 and it would cause my computer not to post because I guess it was shorting it out. But atleast yours turns on :p

Lazn_Work said:
Was this a clean install or just a motherboard swap?

==>Lazn

Clean install from what I remember. I got 3 hard drives so I figured "What the heck, I'll just install it on another drive and change the boot order". After loading the initial drivers in the pre-install mode of XP Pro, I get greeted by the wonderful BSOD. :rolleyes:

Gave me a Stop error of 0x0000007B (0xF7C8163, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It gave a few generic suggestions:

-Check for viruses (Very diligent with that so I don;t think it's my 1st suspect)
- Remove any new installed HD or HD Controllers & check drive configuration & terminated. (No new HD or HD controllers installed to speak of)
-Run ChkDsk /F to check for corruption (My money is on this for the moment. I have a wierd feeling that this is indirectly caused by the CPU heating up)

Currently, I'm running MemTest86 & so far so good(2 Passes)

Guess I spoke too soon on the MemTest 86. Left it running for several hours and come to find out my 2nd stick of RAM is poo (A tenth of a Meg no less :rolleyes: )

I was able to encode a DVD completly without problems!

Thanks for the help guys

CASE CLOSED!

Back