3.0c voltage question

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
I have a Gigabyte 8knxp Rev 2.0 board and the only two choices i really have for voltages is 1.6v and 1.68v. I had higher and lower of course but nothing in the middle of those two. I tried 1.6v but my 3.0c @ 240fsb doesn't appear to be stable because it locks up during Prime95.

I'm running dual iterations of Prime95 so i have 100% CPU usage and at 1.68v my load temps are around 58-60C according to MBM5. MBM5's voltage readout says i have 1.76v vcore at idle and 1.71v at full Prime95 load. I'm hopeing that its just reading off and that my motherboard isn't shooting 1.76v through my CPU lol.

So what do you guys think? I'd like to maintain my 3.6Ghz overclock but should i back down on the voltage or is leaving it at 1.68v safe enough? Anyone else running these types of voltages on aircooling? What temps are you getting?

I did something last night that changed everything for my overclock.

I had previously taken out the DPS daughter card from my Gigabyte motherboard because i really didn't think it was doing much. Alot of people on the forums with the board said it was just a backup in case something went wrong but thats not all it does. It increases the board from a 3 phase to a 6 phase so it now has 6 phase voltage regulation and a PERFECT vCore.

I have the vCore set to 1.6v now and MBM5 is saying its spot on at 1.6v and it hasn't moved from there even when i'm running dual Prime95. Before when i had it set to 1.6v it was drooping down around 1.55v at times and was causing the system to lockup when i ran Prime95. I'm at 3.6Ghz now and everything seems to be doing rather well at 1.6v. I just hopes it passes through several hours of Prime95 and i'll call it stable. :)

How safe is 1.68v for a Pentium 4 if the temps stay 60C and under?

MBM5 is showing 1.7v+ when i have it set to 1.68v but it shows a perfect 1.6v when i have it set to 1.6v. I dont know why its overvolting when its set to 1.68v.

1.7V is completely safe...just keep your temps down. If you want a real good monitoring software...Use Everest Home Edition. Those free monitoring software you're using are mainly asthetics to your desktop......

But dont all those software programs obtain their temps from the same internal diode on the CPU? I dont think my motherboard has a temp probe built into the socket. I think it gets its temps straight from the diode.

burningrave101 said:
But dont all those software programs obtain their temps from the same internal diode on the CPU? I dont think my motherboard has a temp probe built into the socket. I think it gets its temps straight from the diode.

My bad, yup all the software reads the same temp from the diode, but the voltages are way off sometimes with mbm/speedfan/asus probe etc....I mainly use everest home edition to get a more accurate reading on the voltages since it reads it straight from the bios and close to my mm readings....

I think on my asus board there is some sort of flucuation issue, sometimes it will go +/- .10 of what I set the vcore in bios, pretty annoying.... But I ran at 1.7 for a few days, didn't want anything to happen before my watercooling comes in (just ordered earlier today) so I knocked it back down to 1.67. MBM shows my vcore reading at 1.58 low and 1.69 high...

oh and as for temps, my idle is around 47 c and load is around 55-60 c, yeah it sucks

Back