2xPCs, same specs, different wireless performance?

c1001

Gawd
I have two PCs in the same room within two feet of each other. Both are using a Netgear WG111U USB 2.0 adapter plugged into the motherboard USB 2.0 port. Both PCs have an Asus A8V motherboard. Both PCs run Windows XP Home. Both run the Windows wireless manager. One PC consistently has better wireless performance than the other. The bad performer regularly drops the connection and consistently has lower signal strength (i.e "low" when the other is at "good"). I switched the wireless adapter from one PC to the next and then the other one started lagging, so I think that one of the adapters may be at fault. It works, just not as well.

Any ideas on why I could be experiencing this performance difference with the same adapter?

c1001 said:
I switched the wireless adapter from one PC to the next and then the other one started lagging, so I think that one of the adapters may be at fault. It works, just not as well.

It is always possible that the internal antenna has defects or isn't connected properly. I would try to RMA it if I were you.

What are the other specs? more details are needed. Performance can effect speed.

Back