2x36gb Raptor ... OR ... 1x74gb Raptor <--- which one's faster?

Vonkhan

Limp Gawd
2x36gb Raptor ... OR ... 1x74gb Raptor

Which one's gonne be faster?

Please, dont say "2x74gb raptors" or "maxtor ____" :rolleyes:

2x 36g raptors should be faster
but 1 74g raptors is a lil bit faster than 1 36g.

The 74GB Raptor is quite a bit faster then the 36GB single raptor but two 36GB raptors in RAID0 is faster from what i can tell from benchmarks.

I will prolly be flamed for this but one 74GB raptor would be faster for *most* apps, raid 0 is overrated

Read raid 0 faq for more info.

the 74BG raptor is alot faster than the 36GB raptor and raid 0 wont be able to overcome that unless xfering massive files

yeah i say go for the single drive since RAID 0 is designed for mass file transfer not load or seek.

Probably the single 74GB Raptor will be the right choice. However, if you are willing to get a third 36GB and do a RAID5 array, you will definitely get a performance improvement [and redundancy].

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
if you are willing to get a third 36GB and do a RAID5 array, you will definitely get a performance improvement [and redundancy].

three disk Raid 5 is slower than two disk raid 0 because one drive is used only for parity. Also hardware based raid 5 cards are a lot more expensive.

"How many threads do we have going at once?"

A lot from what I can tell but what I really want to know is how many people here have setup a 2x74gig Raptor Raid 0 array and are happy with the performance? I have two in my machine that I am about to setup as a Raid0 array but if its not really worth it I won't go through the trouble and just put the second Raptor in my other box.

Tesfaye

If you have two 74GB raptors i'd say its well worth it. Just look at the nice improvement from RAID0 with 2 36GB raptors in the link i provided.

Back