2x White LEDs connected to power header?

SluggoTR

n00b
I'm trying to make my own lit power indicator for my case, ideally connected to the LED headers on the mobo. The whole assembly is going to be like a long recessed slot, so I wanted to put one white LED at each end facing down the slot.

The problem I'm having is that I can't find any in white, only red and green and with the rest of the switches attached like in the amazon link below. I figure I'm also making this harder because I want two LEDs running off the same LED power header so its going to need to split.

Does anybody know where to get this kind of component? I can also do the wiring myself, but I don't even know where to buy the header connectors except to cannibalize something.

The only thing I can find basically -
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Reset-Switch-Assembly-Computer/dp/B013HTYT2K

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
outside of nicer cases you won't find many with white LEDs. your best bet is to find some 3mm whites and solder them onto the wires.

Splicing two onto a single lead is also easy.

Unless you have the appropriate connector pins and crimpers it is easier and cheaper just to get a kit like the one you or Guarana [BAWLS] posted and just cannibalize it. I would take the two LED leads and one of the switch leads and cut the leads off. Strip the ends and solder the three wires of the same color together, then solder the other three wires together. Insulate (tape, heat shrink, hot glue, whatever) the connections and bada-bing you have a "Y" connector. Plug one end into the motherboard power connector, plug your LEDs into the other two connectors. If they don't light up pull them out and turn them around - you've got a 50-50 chance of getting it right the first time. While LEDs are polarity sensitive devices, you are not likely to blow them up like this.

White 5mm or 3mm LEDs are easy enough to come by. You can probably get about a million of them for a buck on ebay. If you don't mind paying around a buck a piece plus shipping, go to SuperBrightLEDs.com for small quantities and a good selection of brightness, color temperature and viewing angles. I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years and they are a good, reliable vendor. There are other vendors out there that are probably cheaper but you can look them up.

When you get your project going be sure to post pictures!

Back