• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2x HDD in sn41g2v2

Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
3,306
ok.. i have a 160gig maxtor in my computer.. sn41g2v2.. and its full.. so should i stick a 2nd one in here? i seriously think that going from 1x 512 mb memory to 2x 512 raised my temps.. because now my speed fan will kick up a notch and back down. and it didn't do that before.. i also heard that maxtors run hot.. my alternative would be to get a 120 gb and stick it in my celeron 800 system, but it won't detect any hdd larger than that.. i did everything i could.. maybe i couldg et a 250 gig in the shuttle and stick the 160 back into the celeron and only use 130 gigs of it..

but has anyone succesfully ran 2x hdds in theri sn41?
 
A friend of mine was able to fit 2X512 sticks of ram, 1 sata controller card, and 2 raptor hard drives in his SN41G2, but he did get some heat issues at quakecon this past year at the gaylord. Taking off his case cover cleared it up though. Have you thought about getting an external hard drive enclosure? I have one for mine and it works really well. I have a 250 gig in my SN85G4, and I use the memory card, so I have an external drive in a USB enclosure, and it works well for file storage. I have all my games, os, etc on the 250 gig in my machine.
 
Oh yeh also might I suggest a cooling mod for the shuttle. Look up some of the various mods for cooling the shuttle beyond stock is a good idea that you can do to resolve any heat issues that could arise. my friend who had the 2 raptors in his shuttle did not have any kind of cooling mod done to his shuttle btw.
 
I run 2 HDDs in my sn45g. Only thing I had to do was upgrade to the 250watt silentX power supply, as my 6800GT was already maxing out the old 200 watt one. Other than that, no problems at all.
 
i never have actually thought about external.. i just don't like the added cost i guess.. i always have figured that i could take an old spare comptuer and turn it into a file server easier, but.. they are all old enough that they max out at 130ish gigs.. i will look at external enclosure prices

are there any that people reccomend? are there any that run off soley usb power? any that would support sata through firewire or something cool like that? maybe i can just not have a HDD in the shuttle at all.. but instead have a raptor in an sata firewire enclosure, and a storage drive too.. i don't know if these things exist though...
 
im pretty sure u can get an external drive with support for sata, there are also options to get firewire or usb2.0 formats, as for power, mine needs to have a power connector, i have a 2.5" external hdd that only needs the usb power, but that wont do u any good. other than that....its up to u..i never liked having another computer suck up power and create noise...
 
dextr3k said:
im pretty sure u can get an external drive with support for sata, there are also options to get firewire or usb2.0 formats, as for power, mine needs to have a power connector, i have a 2.5" external hdd that only needs the usb power, but that wont do u any good. other than that....its up to u..i never liked having another computer suck up power and create noise...

i could just stick it in a closet though.. that is where my torrent/aim/unsafe surfing habits computer is now.. i just RDC to it and run it on one of my 2 monitors..

so yeah.. i bought a 160 gig WD from newegg along with a bag for my shutte it was aobut $118 shipped.. i should have both before the weekend.. and i can go from having 3 gigs of free space to 150 gigs.. ( i really only have 3 gigs free, i even turned off system restore.. )

but i will get to see how hot 2 160 gig get stacked on each other in a shuttle.. unfortunately i won't do this.. i will just put the top on the case and forget about it until my computer starts freezing because the HDDs are too hot.. maybe i should have ordered an 80 to 120 mm fan adapter and 120mm fan too..
 
Well I would really have to recommend an external drive because I use one, lol well actually I have real reasons other than that. What you should do really depends on the needs that you would like for it to fullfill. For me storage was a big issue, and I also like having almost every game I own installed on my PC and ready to play at a moments notice. So I have a 250 gig in my shuttle, and I'm about to get a 300 gig to swap places with the 250. The 300 gig is the Maxtor sata with the 16 meg cache which should help with performance, and I'm going to take the 250 gig and put it in the external drive to take the place of the drive that is currently in the enclosure. The nice thing about USB hard drive enclosures is that it is very simple to move them around to other computers that may have files to back up, or if their is a large file that you need to copy onto another computer, and don't have a network, or the ability to burn the file to DVD. It for me just gives me a bunch of opertunities that I think fit my needs well.
 
Back
Top