2x 7970 or 3x 7950?

Endgame

Gawd
I've heard that 3x Crossfire has much less micro stuttering than 2x crossfire, so the question is, do I go 2x 7970, or spend an extra $250 and pickup 3x 7950? I'm currently running a 30" and a 20" monitor on my old 4870 1GB, though I'm highly likely to go 3x 30" a couple of months after I've upgraded video card wise so I'm trying to keep that in mind as well.

Of course, I could extend the question further -- if 3x has less micro stuttering than 2x, would it perhaps be better to wait for the 7870s and get 4x of those for the smoothest performance possible?

no i wouldn't bother with quad crossfire.. while the scaling is better than quad SLI, the amount of gained performance just isn't worth the cost.. 2x7970's should push 3x30" eyefinity without any major issues, 3 will definitely have no problems frame rate wise. as far as the microstutter i don't know since i lack the ability to see microstutter for some reason so i have no clue what it is.

So, does 2x 7970 actually work yet? I haven't followed things for the last couple of weeks, but last I checked AMD's drivers don't support Crossfire for the 7xxx cards yet.

If they can't actually get 2 cards working, it seems like 3 would just be a waste of money... of course time and future reviews will prove me wrong, but I don't like buying broken stuff with the promise that it might get better later.

Adding a 3rd 7970 really smoothed out everything for me. To the other poster, crossfire and trifire with 3 cards works just fine from everything I can tell. 3d mark, unigine, BF3, etc...

Go 3 if you can.. If you can buy locally where you can return.. then first try 2 out and then 3 and see the difference for yourself.

I have done quad crossfire before with 6970's / 6990 and 2 6970's etc... guess what. Not worth it.

Unless you want to have a case full of cards that you like to look at there really isn't any games that warrant that much power. Secondly the power consumption is ridiculous.

I might do Quadfire 6990's when the 7990 comes out and bumps the prices down like the 5970 got bumped down drastically.

Back